My Apten/Eaton LOCKED up!! The whole story...

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I had an awesome night last night. If anyone remembers my 'losing interest' thread, forget about it. I had SO much fun with the L last night. The Girlfriend and I took it to the New England Summer Nationals in Worcester, Mass. We got there in 45 minutes (record time 90-110mph the whole way, thank you V1),

So we had a blast there and got a ton of compliments on the truck. I took it easy on the way home averaging about 70 mph. So 50 miles later we are coming down the hill on I-84 approaching our exit when a HORRIBLE sound comes from the engine compartment. Engine shuts right off and everything shuts down. I hit the hazards and the breakdown lane and coasted off the exit. Opened the hood and I knew right away what it was. My Black Upper pulley was now brown & red from the heat. Pam decided that she'd stay with the L while I walked home to get some tools and the Colorado. Luckily one of my buddies mom's saw me and gave me a ride home.

Right as I'm opening my garage my cell rings. It's Pam. There is a state trooper there and she wants to push the truck into the grass on the side of the road with the Push bar on her cruiser!! I'm like NOOOO!! I'll be back in 2 minutes. I grabbed my razor knife and hopped in the 'rado.

I get back to the truck and now the trooper was nice enough to tell me that she ran my plates (TRY-ME) and it doesn't come back to my truck. Great. She says it came back as a Corvette and obviously this isn't a Corvette. I asked her if she ran it as a Passenger plate or a Combination plate and she's like "Oh." So, I cut the belt and it fired right up. The Trooper turned out to be a really cool woman and she blocked traffic so My GF could turn the 'rado around. I think we have a new friend on the force. She was even nice enough to tell me she took a pic of my truck with Pam in the driver's seat. :D

If it sounds like I'm taking this well, I am. It could have been WAY worse. If this happened in the streets of Worcester it would have sucked. So now the truck will have to sit for a couple weeks. This will probably be a very expensive week. I need to buy an engagement ring before the KB so it'll probably be ring on Wed., KB on Thursday. :rolling:

I'll post pics of the carnage when I take it apart. Today we've been busy getting ready for July 4th festivities, and I have to work tomorrow.

rem177

Established Member
ouch...well at least youll be getting the KB. And most importantly, you got back into the truck again. :D

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Sorry to hear it bro. You know you could always replace the eaton with another...cheap! :D

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I have a stock eaton on my shelf, but I look at that as a step backwards. I figure most vendors will be closed until wednesday anyway, so it will give me a chance to think it over.

I wonder if any vendors can beat KB's going price?

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
yeah, i bet NAPA sells them :p

good luck on whatever you decide to do.....i may be able to get you an 00' blower.

chiz

Big Man

Fill r Up!
Established Member
It must be nice to live in a place with cool cops. Was she hot? :D It sucks the Heaton locked up on you. You say its a Apten, how old is it?

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Big Man said:
It must be nice to live in a place with cool cops. Was she hot? :D It sucks the Heaton locked up on you. You say its a Apten, how old is it?

There's cool cops and bad cops everywhere. Hot? Nope. I'm not sure how old it is. I got it used (in great shape) from another member about 2 years ago.

BTW, what we've been talking about should be all set tomorrow and we'll work out a great deal. ;-)

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Sorry to hear about the Supercharger. Nice that you have cool cops and a cool girl. I know the ring is next. So it looks like you have some time to shop Kb's or Whipple's. Chris I hope you find a deal on both the ring and the S.C. Matt

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
ouch that blows. at least now you have something to keep you interested in the L again... the irony :D

congratulations on the engagement as well! Oh btw, maybe you can convince her to take a KB instead of a ring? :shrug: just make sure you let her know its really for her.... :thumbsup:

rlearp

Established Member
No dig at Apten or other porters, but do stock Eaton's lock up? Considering a ported blower, but using the serach engine turns up a lot of posts with locked blowers, and I'm not seeing any locked up blowers that weren't ported.

Ron

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
203Cree said:
You were runnin a 6/2.8 combo weren't you?

Yup. Good Memory.

Snakestress said:
ouch that blows. at least now you have something to keep you interested in the L again... the irony :D

Isn't it Ironic? Dontcha' think? :p Now I can't wait to get it up and running again.

STL01SVT said:
Same thing happened to my truck. Just curious, were you running a phenolic spacer?

I ran the spacer last year. I have a C&L upper & no spacer this year. Who's seized last year and had the spacer? I thought of that thread last night.

rlearp said:
No dig at Apten or other porters, but do stock Eaton's lock up? Considering a ported blower, but using the serach engine turns up a lot of posts with locked blowers, and I'm not seeing any locked up blowers that weren't ported.

I don't know whether it was port related or bearing related yet. It has been making a growling noise that I'd been ignoring. I'll probably take it off on tuesday. I'll be able to see if the rotors contacted the case or if a bearing locked up.

:pepper: :banana: The GF agreed that a KB is the way to go. :banana: :pepper:

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Welcome to the club! That is the reason I now run a MP blower. My Apten ported Eaton locked up on the dyno. I decided to replace it right there with the MP case. Steig did the porting for Apten and I have since felt the risk of it happening again was too great.
If I knew I was going built block I may have gone KB or Whipple, but so far my MP has shown it can run with the big boys. Good luck with your choice, and congrats on the engagement!
Jim

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Sorry bout the blower. Glad for engagement, interest rekindled, and you and your Girlfriend are ok.
Best of luck Chris
Tom

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Sorry bro!! But just like its been posted before, I think Lightning guys are the only ones who smile (after the fact) when they blow their engine or seize their blower! Because then they know a built engine or a KB/Whip will replace them!

Unless of course they blow their built engine...or the seize their KB/Whip....but that's a different thread. ;-)

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread