My Apten/Eaton LOCKED up!! The whole story...

203Cree

Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Yup. Good Memory.

Thanks. What's funny is I can remember that but I can't remember my own fuggin phone number. :dw:

I ran the spacer last year. I have a C&L upper & no spacer this year. Who's seized last year and had the spacer? I thought of that thread last night.

Gary (PearlBlueL). He was just running an 8lb lower tho. His melted the case causing the rotors to sieze. See, there's that stupid memory again. :rollseyes :-D

Last edited:

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Just to add some tech. data I was running a six# lower stock upper with a spacer at the time of failure.
Also if the blower case was melted it had to have rotor to case contact for a good deal of driving time to reach those temps. It was already shot before the case melted.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Life lesson #1681651816:

Never lose interest in your car/truck it will find a way to regain your interest. Usually in an expensive way.

Sucks to hear it man.

203Cree

Established Member
Ct.TOPGUN said:
Just to add some tech. data I was running a six# lower stock upper with a spacer at the time of failure.
Also if the blower case was melted it had to have rotor to case contact for a good deal of driving time to reach those temps. It was already shot before the case melted.

Yeah, for Gary I believe it happened on a road trip.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Sucks to hear about your blower Chris, but at least you're taking it like a champ. As far as a new blower, you know what I recommend. :D

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
That blows dude, well sort of. At least she is cool enough to say get the big guns out. Thanks for helping me make a choice that i have been banging around with all weekend and i hope she says yes. Can i come to the wedding??? :banana:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
203Cree said:
Gary (PearlBlueL). He was just running an 8lb lower tho. His melted the case causing the rotors to sieze. See, there's that stupid memory again. :rollseyes :-D

Honestly, I thought it was him. When it's been that long everyone melts into 1 person though. :-D

VirtualSVT said:
Life lesson #1681651816:

Never lose interest in your car/truck it will find a way to regain your interest. Usually in an expensive way.
laughing-smiley-017.gif

Sinister04L said:
Sucks to hear about your blower Chris, but at least you're taking it like a champ. As far as a new blower, you know what I recommend. :D

I'd love to go whipple. But after reading that 'bracket' thread on nloc I just can't justify the difference in cost. If it was just a couple hundred I'd do it.

lightninmike said:
That blows dude, well sort of. At least she is cool enough to say get the big guns out. Thanks for helping me make a choice that i have been banging around with all weekend and i hope she says yes. Can i come to the wedding??? :banana:

What choice have you been banging around? You gonna pop the question? :-D We'll see... ;-)

RBakerian

IWHINE
Established Member
Can someone post a link to that thread on nloc, Chris.. see what happens when you lose interest.

dynobobstieg

The Eaton can lock up when overspun. We have seen this with use of the spacers as well . Whenever you start hearing the noises (usually pretty noticable) that seem to get worse we recommend sending it in for some clearance to be added where the rotors are hitting the case.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Slider said:
Do you have any pictures yet?

Maybe tomorrow.... working today. :thumbsup:

Stiegemeier said:
The Eaton can lock up when overspun. We have seen this with use of the spacers as well . Whenever you start hearing the noises (usually pretty noticable) that seem to get worse we recommend sending it in for some clearance to be added where the rotors are hitting the case.

Thanks for the response Bob. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I actually was going to send it to you back in december for some work, but for reasons that don't need to be discussed I didn't.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I find it odd that you respond in this thread which wasn't about your work when the other threads you started on here and NLOC have gone unanswered since their inception.

Eatons are throw away units as far as I'm concearned, not worth the money/time to fix when a core can be had for under 400. Just my opinion of course.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
I'd love to go whipple. But after reading that 'bracket' thread on nloc I just can't justify the difference in cost. If it was just a couple hundred I'd do it.

Well since I'm still banned from NLOC :rollseyes I don't know what thread you're referring to, but I only paid $3100 for my Whipple setup, which is less than the cost of a KB and JLP plenum. I'm very happy with my setup. Just another option for ya. ;-)

dynobobstieg

Fade 2 Black said:
I find it odd that you respond in this thread which wasn't about your work when the other threads you started on here and NLOC have gone unanswered since their inception.

Eatons are throw away units as far as I'm concearned, not worth the money/time to fix when a core can be had for under 400. Just my opinion of course.
Stiegemeier did the porting for apten and we had several customer's send their supercharger in to us and did not charge for the clearancing we added to the case.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
What choice have you been banging around? You gonna pop the question? :-D We'll see... ;-)
You will see sooner or later :p .Pop the question??? I dont think so, be kinda hard seeing as i am not speaking to her.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Chris sorry to hear about the failure. About your last comment, you already opened the bag, now just let out the cat lol. You are going to appreciate this incident greatly once you take the truck down the road for the first time with the new KB on. You will have a huge ear to ear sh!t eating grin lol. Depending on how long you want to keep running that stock block, you might think about trading for another pulley combo with that KB. Its all in the tune...

I agree with Bob, Fade 2 Black, too. Why spend the cost of another used Eaton to repair one. It just doesnt make any sense...

... Stan

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Stiegemeier said:
Stiegemeier did the porting for apten and we had several customer's send their supercharger in to us and did not charge for the clearancing we added to the case.

Everyone knows you did the apten ports. Does that mean you are going to warranty this one?

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Stan, you're right. I just don't feel like making a lateral move or a step back. I have a stock eaton at home if I want, but I'll be going KB.

Users who are viewing this thread