My Boat Nearly Sank

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Throttle body is off and intake could be off but it's dry. I could pull the exhaust but I already drained it. If you're looking for engine pics it's an 04 Merc 250 Optimax v6...I'll upload pics soon.
Still thinking about this, since it’s a two stroke I’d look for access to the crankcase below the pistons.

Can you pull the exhaust? Or the throttle body/ intake?

I can’t find any good engine pictures on the net but I would like to see that area accessed and make sure it’s not puddled with water maybe add some lubricant manually since the only oil the crank bearings receive is in the air fuel mixture, and if it’s injected they keep things lean.

I’ll keep looking on line for engine pictures and providing useless thoughts......

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
The moisture you see is just the morning dew.

20180805_091306.jpg

20180805_091317.jpg

20180805_091356.jpg

M91196

Established Member
Ahhh, I like the chances of it being drained or dry(er) now, the engine sits with the crank vertical ......I kept seeing Bombardier powered boats with horizontal layout.

They may have oil squirters for the bottom end, I think DI systems never homogenize the fuel and oil but I don’t know how they all work.

Best of luck and keep the sun baking on it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Went through the same thing in college once with an old Jet-Ski I had (Kawasaki 1100 ZXI). With the help of 4 friends we pulled, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and reinstalled the engine. We did all that in my roommate's bath tub with a basic Craftsman hand tool set. Snatched the engine out by hand. From the time it went under until we got it running again and back in the water was 23 hours. Many beers were needed to complete the task and celebrate.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Wish that were an option!

Went through the same thing in college once with an old Jet-Ski I had (Kawasaki 1100 ZXI). With the help of 4 friends we pulled, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and reinstalled the engine. We did all that in my roommate's bath tub with a basic Craftsman hand tool set. Snatched the engine out by hand. From the time it went under until we got it running again and back in the water was 23 hours. Many beers were needed to complete the task and celebrate.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yikes...sounds like you have done all ya can....hopefully she fires...I'd take it easy on her for the first few hours though

Last edited:

sono

Established Member
at least you were not on the boat!
I re powered a 25 aquasport with twin honda 150s. It was a spit deal with another family. The point where the cap connects to the hull flex and it sank within 5 minutes while on plane. saved it before totally under, but engines were submerged. Scary as F since it was on the ocean with 2 families.

So Id call this a win as far as sinking goes.

coposrv

Established Member
There is no oil to change because it's an injected 2 stroke. I did check the oil and gas and found no water.... still think it needs to come out? Additionally the fuel tank is totally full with Mystery Oil, seafoam, and dry gas in it because I had just filled up.

Sorry, oversight. I would still do all I can to get any fluids out of the motor to avoid fresh water contamination. Sitting for a bit after doing this and letting everything else air out wouldn’t hurt. Sucks but could have been worse. Ive seen recovery bills before. Especially sinking at a slip, costs can get out of control. I do think you’re on the right track though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Holy crap! Sorry to see and I feel your pain. At least it didn't fully sink. Good luck with getting it started again. Fingers crossed for yah.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Hope to do that by Friday!

Damn, now i’m Leaving to put my boat in the water.

Hoping she rolls over no problem!

Yikes...sounds like you have done all ya can....hopefully she fires...I'd take it easy on her for the first few hours though

That would be terrifying. I was dead stick on my boat earlier this summer and had to swim at the shore with my family in the boat it was terrible and embarrassing. All because of a heat sensor malfunction.

at least you were not on the boat!
I re powered a 25 aquasport with twin honda 150s. It was a spit deal with another family. The point where the cap connects to the hull flex and it sank within 5 minutes while on plane. saved it before totally under, but engines were submerged. Scary as F since it was on the ocean with 2 families.

So Id call this a win as far as sinking goes.

You dude the fines are crazy..
There are state, federal, and local fines... plus the tow out of a sunken boat... the camp manager told me the last guy got fined over $35k from New York State alone!
Sorry, oversight. I would still do all I can to get any fluids out of the motor to avoid fresh water contamination. Sitting for a bit after doing this and letting everything else air out wouldn’t hurt. Sucks but could have been worse. Ive seen recovery bills before. Especially sinking at a slip, costs can get out of control. I do think you’re on the right track though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks, definitely could have been far worse.
Holy crap! Sorry to see and I feel your pain. At least it didn't fully sink. Good luck with getting it started again. Fingers crossed for yah.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
I would drain the fuel and change the oil. Grab some cans of those computer key board cleaner and blow out as much of the electrical connections you can. I wouldn’t be in a rush to fire it but I think you may be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Pull all the connections and spray them with WD-40, or LPS to displace the water in them. Good luck with it.

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Went through the same thing in college once with an old Jet-Ski I had (Kawasaki 1100 ZXI). .

I did this as well, the engine was under water for about 2-3 hours but it turned out Ok. We pulled plugs and spun it over a bunch to clear the water and air it out as best as possible and ran it right after. Good luck, I'm glad your boat was saved!

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Ah memories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
this is why my boats stay garaged lol ....you got lucky

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
reason number 831 why I have no interest in owning a boat, Im prefectly content to know a few people that do and give them gas money.

hope she fires up ok, sounds like youve got it covered. We had a friend ride a 4 stroke dirt bike into our pond, went through damned near a case of oil before it came out not milky but it ran just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread