MY BOSS 50 MOTOR BUILD / with updates

Quick Strike

Established Member
what about without arp lube ? > my m/shop takes the arp lube when they resize your rods and dont give you ,whats left over.

The page with the torque specs does not give a torque with anything other then ARP moly lube and warns that actual torque may vary considerably without it. I'd pick up a little packet of their lube at a local auto parts store . Summit had it for $1.49.

The 4.6 Cobra side bolts are 8mm (I just checked my old ones). So, I am not sure what the torque value will be for your 9mm bolts.

Teej281

Established Member
Ok, I wasnt going to read through all 7 pages, only the first and last. Did someone ask yet why you went with a 21.6cc dished piston? Thats a really low compression ratio...like high 7's/low 8's compression...less than stock. What made you decide to do that?

Teej281

Established Member
Good luck man! I wouldve done it differently but in the end its your car and I'm damn sure you'll be happy with it!

Teej281

Established Member
You can run up in the mid 9's compression with over 20psi on 93 just fine. Thats just what I would have done though. I like Skaarew's build with 10.7:1 with E85. But I'd be doing it 10:1 with 93.

Quick Strike

Established Member
You can run up in the mid 9's compression with over 20psi on 93 just fine. Thats just what I would have done though. I like Skaarew's build with 10.7:1 with E85. But I'd be doing it 10:1 with 93.

He is about right at 8.5:1 static compression. Since he is using stock cams, his dynamic compression will be about 7.75:1. Pump gas 93 octane likes 7.5-8:1 dynamic compression to resist detonation. I use 9.8:1 static compression, but my dynamic compression is 7.75:1 because of the larger camshafts used.

haskett

Established Member
So what i need to know is what is the tq. On the stock 9mm sidde main cap bolts...and are they tw. To yeild?

My recollection is that the side bolts are TTY. That's why I replaced mine.

Let me know the spec's for im going back with the unsed stock one that came on my boss50 block thanks ..

Also i need some pics of the windage tray..i got the stud on 3 and 4 main caps and how does the oil pump pick up mount up ..thanks again. Its been too long!!!

I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

haskett

Established Member
So what i need to know is what is the tq. On the stock 9mm sidde main cap bolts

FAQ says 21Nm(15 ftlbs)

Also i need some pics of the windage tray..i got the stud on 3 and 4 main caps and how does the oil pump pick up mount up ..thanks again. Its been too long!!!

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

haskett

Established Member
Side cap bolt just 15 ft lbs right > no tty ?. Thanks for the pic that helped alot. Iam making headway!

Im getting my mony back on those arp bolts.

EDIT: I SEE YOUR MOTOR HAS JACK SCREWS ON THE SIDE CAP BOLTS THEY 8 MM MINE ARE 9MM .THINK 30 FT LBS WITH NO TTY IS FINE?

Mine is a stock 4.6L for '03 Cobra.

Note that I'm pretty sure the side bolts are TTY.

When I first tightened down my side bolts, I overtightened slightly and crank was very difficult to turn. I redid it and crank spun easily. Make sure you check your crank resistance before and after.

What vehicle applications use 9mm? I would look up the torque specs for those applications to verify.

haskett

Established Member
okat look them up for a 2003 4.6 winsdor motor with out the jack screw my boss is based in a w motor. .thanks i'd app. that :beer:

my heads might be on tomorrow:rockon:

thanks on the windage tray pics ..i forgot the long nuts went to the pick up tube..with a bolt ,i made need more pic help later on too.

its been 6 months almost now.

Sorry, I don't have the torque specs unhand for other vehicles. You cold probably search online and find them, though.

Sounds like you ar making good progress. My car was down for 12 months, so I know the feeling!

Users who are viewing this thread