MY BOSS 50 MOTOR BUILD / with updates

SlowSVT

Established Member
update! nothing to update yet..filed my second gap rings to much. so i got some more second rings coming should be here tomorrow.
1 other problem was the wrist pins where a tad to long. i can't get the last C-Clip in. so ROSS said to send them back to them .or have my m/shop mill them. so I'am playing the waiting game. m/shop is doing them

got some side work ,so that's keeping me busy & getting some kook cash!

BTW on my pistons ..the top ring gap says for it to be .020 & second ring .015 ,sounds tight but that's what they recommend. i had a book 2006 5.0 mag on a boss 50 build,that said ring gaps for S/C was mid .020's so i did the second rings to .025 > i called John @ mod perf. he said with that much , i would have blow by out the azz.

need..
kooks 1 3/4
3 in. mid pipe > cats or no cats ?? cars loud as it is .
ARP 2000 head studs.
K/B s/c oil.

if i go E 85 tune, i will need some 80s ,and will have to install my BAP i been having.

just a heads up !

ROSS DATA says
top ring 3.700 X .0055
sec ring 3.700 X .0035
min gap on oil ring .015

Gary

Perhaps I'm reading into this wrong but that ring gap seems awfully tight. Did mean to say .055 and .035? The numbers you have posted a piece of paper would have a hard time squeezing thru. .055 and .035 seems a bit large for the rings though. You might want to call around to other engine builders or even another ring mfg and get a second opinion.

Quick Strike

Established Member
oh no man
the sheet says top ring . bore x .0055 =.020
sec. ring bore x .0035 =.015 my bore is 3.700 thats why i did it that way

seems tight .but just picked my stuff up, so i might be build this weekend .if not going to the coast the weekend, it's pretty here right now.

Gary,

I (shutter) agree with Russ. Call the ring provider and a few more boosted modular motor shops. Tell them the size of the motor you are running, the piston type and the 20lbs + boost you will be running. I think they will tell you to go larger per inch of bore. Five or so more thousanths in the total ring gap will not add much (if any blowby), but it may save the rings from butting. We have seen what butting does to stock forged pistons, cylinders and rings. I am at .025" on my top ring and .027" on ther second with a 3.57" bore. I do not have any blowby, compression issues, oil burning or rapid oil discoloration. I am also making some pretty good power gapped for "blowby out the azz."

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
oh no man
the sheet says top ring . bore x .0055 =.020
sec. ring bore x .0035 =.015 my bore is 3.700 thats why i did it that way

seems tight .but just picked my stuff up, so i might be build this weekend .if not going to the coast the weekend, it's pretty here right now.

OK, I see where they are coming from. The thermal rate of expansion on the rings is constant so they are just pulling out the calculator and punching "in" the numbers but that assumes you know what kind of heat your dealing with. That gap does seem to be a bit on the tight side and I don't need to tell you what happens if that's not enough.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Gary,

What is going on with the project? It has beeen a while and we need our next installment of "As the 5.0 Turns."

Let's go (pictures too)! :banana:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
According to my Blueprint on my Boss motor my builder (one of the best ever) tq'd my ARP main studs to: 60ft/lbs
ARP 2000 rod bolts for Manley billet I-beams: 75ft/lbs.. AGAIN this is specific to my build. I wouldn't take my word for it, but this is what my motor is tq'd to.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Okay ! i needing tq spec's on. I thought i asked this here but didn't see it ?
I'am getting back on it .

ARP MAIN STUDS ?
ARP 2000 ROD BOLTS ?

I GOT ARP SIDE CAPS BOLTS ALSO ?

thanks will check back in tomorrow morning.

Gary,

Here is the rod bolt procedure.

Did you have the mains align honed with the studs torqued in place? That is the procedure to ensure the different clamping force of the studs (vs. bolts) do not egg shape the main bores. Anyway, the torque spec on them is 60 ft/lbs with moly lube using the factory sequence. My machinist wanted to make sure I torqued the mains the same way as they did when it was machined. If they used spit, go get a cup of that spit!

Jack screws are 6 ft/lbs with moly lube and side bolts were 15 ft/lbs with moly. I am not sure your side bolts are the same diameter as mine. So, the side bolts torque may not be the same.

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
cant open link ? says about blank ?

OK, well it said if you do not have a stretch gage to use on the 3/8" rod bolts: "use Moly lube, tighten to 45 ft/lbs, loosen, tighten to 45 ft/lbs, loosen and tighten to 45 ft/lbs a third and final time.

Users who are viewing this thread