My crappy Rat Bike Project

Evil4Eye

Schizophrenic SVT Poster
Established Member
So I decided to buy this Yamaha Enduro bike for a hundred bucks and see what I could build out of it. This is what I've got so far. I'm still working on the engine, but so far this little guy is coming along.

When I brought it to the shop.
p1010585e.jpg

Later that day
p1010609.jpg

With the hard tail section tacked and freshly blasted wheels test fitted.
And the dipshit is yours truly.
p1010626c.jpg

Current pic with the seat and bars
p1010644oj.jpg

p1010640c.jpg

I'll keep ya posted on the progress, remember it's just for fun. How many all terrain Bobbers have you guys seen before?

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
awesome. wish i had the tools and skills to fab something like that. looks like a lot of fun. good luck!

Mayo5

Established Member
Nice job man! What type of piping did you use for the swingarm?

I've been looking into doing a bobber, but haven't been able to decide on what engine/frame combo to try and attack. Do you have your own pipe bender in that shop? Looks like an awesome place to work.

What engine are you going to use with it? And was that a 74 Yam 350?

Krwy

Established Member
That bobber looks sick! I like how it looks with the old school knobbies. I've always wanted to build one.

Evil4Eye

Schizophrenic SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks guys, Mayo, I used 1" .120 DOM pipe for the hard tail. It was an overkill considering the bike was originally built with .06 wall tubing, but it was what I had. The tube was bent by hand, I've been wanting to get a hydraulic bender. As far as what the bike was, it started life as a 1975 Yami DT400B Enduro. I would suggest looking for a Yami XS650. There is a bunch of after market parts available. Check out XS650 Chopper Satisfying Your Yamaha XS 650 Chopper/Bobber Addiction! for inspiration. :rockon:

32vofFury

WHINE & DINE!
Established Member
thats awesome i want to build a bobber but i don't think i know enough about bikes. It would be a cool learning experience for sure.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
Thats pretty sweet man, i picked up a cb750 and a tr350 last week, ones gonna be a restomod caferacer and ones gonna be a complete custom, modern fuel injected monster.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a pretty cool conversion project for sure. Very different. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Iron Fist

Established Member
That looks cool. What did you do to drop the height of the front forks (cut springs?) and how did you address the rebound.

Evil4Eye

Schizophrenic SVT Poster
Established Member
are you putting the enduro motor back in? Or what are the plans for that?

I'm going to attempt to use the original motor, but it's in bad shape. I'm keeping my eye open for something similar or find some cheap replacement parts for it. The goal with this project is to keep it as cheap as possible. So far I've only spent about $200 bucks. I sold a bunch of parts off the bike on eBay which paid for the bike itself :thumbsup:

That looks cool. What did you do to drop the height of the front forks (cut springs?) and how did you address the rebound.

This is the site I used as a guide. The 650 shocks are about same. I put a 3" spacer in and cut 2 1/2" of the spring. So far so good they actually feel a little too soft. but I wont know for sure until it's on the road.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll definitely keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread