my dogs killed the neighbors cat

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
What if the dog in the vet is a large breed and attacks you? Just curious.

You act like you are the only one at the vet. In that situation there are other people to help and tools to restrain animals.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
You act like you are the only one at the vet. In that situation there are other people to help and tools to restrain animals.

Not at all.

In this day and age, a lot of people are too scared to help as you say.

9/10 it is women at the vet with their giant dogs and I doubt they are going to be able to do much.

I see your logic, but, I have little faith in humanity to be honest.

Zemedici

Established Member
Not at all.

In this day and age, a lot of people are too scared to help as you say.

9/10 it is women at the vet with their giant dogs and I doubt they are going to be able to do much.

I see your logic, but, I have little faith in humanity to be honest.

how much do you weigh?

If I'm 140 lbs and can subdue a 90 lb boxer.....

have a little faith in yourself. No need to shoot a dog, unless its literally mauling a MUCH smaller dog, or going after children.

Lets be real. Its a dog. Not a rhinoceros.

FJohnny

Established Member
Tough situation to decide. It must be with over a couple of hundred replies, right?

Our two retrievers go to the dog park every day. They are trained to voice, hand signal, whistle and vibration collar commands. When another dog approaches they automatically drop in at the sides of the wife and I and wait for permission to play. That has not prevented about a half dozen attacks in as many years. And so far, not one of the other owners had make any move to control their dog during the attacks. They pretty much just stand there open-mouthed. Worse yet, in the last instance just this summer, the people behind us walked up and said that the black GSD cross had attacked their dog just the previous week. Nice, eh?

A really good obedience instructor that we knew well used to start every set of lessons with the warning. NEVER put your hands into a dog fight. Even you own perfectly behaved dog can react under adrenaline and bite it's owner. Responding to motion and snapping. He pointed out that hands and arms are particularly prone to damaged tendons, nerves and the like. He maintained you should always have an implement between you and the dogs. Not sure how true it is but he claimed a dog can snap as fast as a snake can strike. They look pretty fast when they snap a fly out of the air.

Hard to justify shooting a dog in a vet office if there are bystanders around. Would your gun be okay to use as an implement to knock the offending dog away? Or is there a rule not to pull a gun if you are not prepared to pull the trigger as well?

Seems unfair to just have to watch the bad dog savage your pet and walk away scott free.

All the best.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
how much do you weigh?

If I'm 140 lbs and can subdue a 90 lb boxer.....

have a little faith in yourself. No need to shoot a dog, unless its literally mauling a MUCH smaller dog, or going after children.

Lets be real. Its a dog. Not a rhinoceros.

I'm 208 now.

I get what you're saying. If you can get behind a dog and grab it without it noticing you, you've got the upper hand. I'd have no problem subduing a dog. What I was saying was, if the dog is facing you and lunges, it is pretty hard to manage to fend off a dog once they are biting and their body is flailing all over the place.

I've seen big guys get taken down by small dogs.

Really depends on the animosity of the dog and the situation it is.

Anyhow - I am curious where the OP went too.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Tough situation to decide. It must be with over a couple of hundred replies, right?

Our two retrievers go to the dog park every day. They are trained to voice, hand signal, whistle and vibration collar commands. When another dog approaches they automatically drop in at the sides of the wife and I and wait for permission to play. That has not prevented about a half dozen attacks in as many years. And so far, not one of the other owners had make any move to control their dog during the attacks. They pretty much just stand there open-mouthed. Worse yet, in the last instance just this summer, the people behind us walked up and said that the black GSD cross had attacked their dog just the previous week. Nice, eh?

A really good obedience instructor that we knew well used to start every set of lessons with the warning. NEVER put your hands into a dog fight. Even you own perfectly behaved dog can react under adrenaline and bite it's owner. Responding to motion and snapping. He pointed out that hands and arms are particularly prone to damaged tendons, nerves and the like. He maintained you should always have an implement between you and the dogs. Not sure how true it is but he claimed a dog can snap as fast as a snake can strike. They look pretty fast when they snap a fly out of the air.

Hard to justify shooting a dog in a vet office if there are bystanders around. Would your gun be okay to use as an implement to knock the offending dog away? Or is there a rule not to pull a gun if you are not prepared to pull the trigger as well?

Seems unfair to just have to watch the bad dog savage your pet and walk away scott free.

All the best.

No. Absolutely never use your pistol for anything else but its intended purpose in a situation like this. You never draw your weapon until you have an actual threat that may warrant being engaged to begin with. Goes back to the 5 safety rules.

Dogs actively engaged in a fight is obviously much more difficult to handle but I would say there is no exact way to handle it, it is just how well you feel you can separate the dogs. I work with a guy who is a dog handler for the French Foreign Legion and so far I have seen him come in 2 or 3 times now with cuts, punctures, and bruises from breaking fights involving his German Malinois. Maybe it is the value of the dog, him being a little crazy, or his love of the dog but he always jumps in to break it up regardless of what happens. I broke up a fight with my Husky when she attacked the Malamute one time. The Mal was much calmer about it so I grabbed his collar and booted my Husky in the side hard enough to make her cower away from me and run.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm 208 now.

I get what you're saying. If you can get behind a dog and grab it without it noticing you, you've got the upper hand. I'd have no problem subduing a dog. What I was saying was, if the dog is facing you and lunges, it is pretty hard to manage to fend off a dog once they are biting and their body is flailing all over the place.

I've seen big guys get taken down by small dogs.

Really depends on the animosity of the dog and the situation it is.

Anyhow - I am curious where the OP went too.

I've not seen that. A grown ass man?

Come on....we have arms / legs / etc to use.

There's literally hundreds of ways to subdue a dog.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I've not seen that. A grown ass man?

Come on....we have arms / legs / etc to use.

There's literally hundreds of ways to subdue a dog.

tumblr_mdjbws2fiY1r0bv4uo1_400.gif

lol

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
And this is why I put a prong on my dogs when I’m working with them. People seriously don’t understand what a true high drive/working line dog can do. I’ve worked some small 60lbs female GSDs in bite work that made previous 100 lbs dogs I had look like sissy’s.

A prong collar is an undervalued tool when training a larger dog. I walk my dogs with prong collars. Soft people see it as cruel, I see it as a training mechanism. It only takes a correction or two with a prong to make a dog stop whatever it's doing. And when my dogs are walking beside me like they have been trained to do, the collar is so loose they don't even know it's there.

Dogs are like children, constantly testing boundaries. Occasionally my dog will start to try and lead me on a walk, quick correction with the prong and she falls right back in line.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
A prong collar is an undervalued tool when training a larger dog. I walk my dogs with prong collars. Soft people see it as cruel, I see it as a training mechanism. It only takes a correction or two with a prong to make a dog stop whatever it's doing. And when my dogs are walking beside me like they have been trained to do, the collar is so loose they don't even know it's there.

Dogs are like children, constantly testing boundaries. Occasionally my dog will start to try and lead me on a walk, quick correction with the prong and she falls right back in line.

It’s an obsolete tool.

Use a gentle leader. Far more effective and no risk to injury to the dog.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
It’s an obsolete tool.

Not obsolete. All dogs are different and making a blanket statement that one training collar is better than another is wrong. They all have their uses still. I've used a gentle leader and from my experience I wouldn't say it is far more effective in stopping a dog from pulling. My dobe still pulled when I first started training. Multiple walks and the same thing. There is no correction. I switched to the prong and within 1 walk the pulling had decreased immensely. And as long as you are using the prong correctly there is very little chance of actually hurting the dog.

If the gentle leader works better for you, awesome. However I'll continue to use what works on my dogs.

My94GT

Established Member
It’s an obsolete tool.

Actually gentle leaders run the risk of far more injury
It’s an obsolete tool.

actually a gentle leader poses greater risk for injury by putting leverage on the muzzle and cranking the neck.

There is a reason top level trainers use prong collars, they are safe and effective for corrective or even communicative work with a dog.

My94GT

Established Member
Not obsolete. All dogs are different and making a blanket statement that one training collar is better than another is wrong. They all have their uses still. I've used a gentle leader and from my experience I wouldn't say it is far more effective in stopping a dog from pulling. My dobe still pulled when I first started training. Multiple walks and the same thing. There is no correction. I switched to the prong and within 1 walk the pulling had decreased immensely. And as long as you are using the prong correctly there is very little chance of actually hurting the dog.

If the gentle leader works better for you, awesome. However I'll continue to use what works on my dogs.

This is the problem with the prong collar, most don’t know how to use it. Many also buy cheap brands instead of buying a quality one like Herm sprenger. People don’t understand it’s a quick pop for corrections not a pull and hold which will cause injury.

Users who are viewing this thread