my dogs killed the neighbors cat

allister

Established Member
They have every right to file a report because your dogs broke through that fence, there's really nothing you can do to stop them. What you can do is beef up your fence ASAP, still offer to pay vet bills, and heck, maybe call animal control yourself and find out what type of fence they recommend to prevent your dogs from breaking through. Maybe if you call them for a friendly recommendation before your neighbor files a report, they will see you give a crap and take it easy on you in the event your neighbor files a report.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Send neighbor a dead fish and fence in your ****in yard if you care anything about you dog.

As an owner of a pure bred American pitbull terrier it is my responsibility to control my dog 100% of the time. Maybe it’s not the right breed for you.
can you read? i said they broke through the fence...shit happens sometimes. they’re called accidents.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I think it might happen in this thread @Smooth lol

latest?cb=20140416121103.gif

@Zemedici ..Lets wait for it, fam lol

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Your dogs on someone else's property means that you did not have control over them. Your fault. If for some reason that was a child that was attacked instead of a cat...

ks
Sadly this will be the argument made.

As for the cat, let me tag @CV355
He and I have the same love for cats. They go great with teriyaki sauce when grilled. They are also good in stir fry.

Ah, I could go on, but someone would call me racist. Then I would have to share info that I have a family member that married a Vietnamese woman. They really do eat the animals we call pets. She gets crap from me too.

I hate cats. Is that prejudice? Hmmm

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I’ve talked to a lawyer. He is a deputy attorney general in california. He said don’t worry about it. It’s just as much his fault as mine. His cat was antagonizing the dogs and on my property. he said the fence is my fault but it’s not a dog issue it’s a fence issue. His cat being a stray cat is not in his favor. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this before
I just noticed you're in Cali. Jokes are off. You're in my prayers. I have trust issues with people. I doubt I would ever trust the neighbor a few doors down from you.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve talked to a lawyer. He is a deputy attorney general in california. He said don’t worry about it. It’s just as much his fault as mine. His cat was antagonizing the dogs and on my property. he said the fence is my fault but it’s not a dog issue it’s a fence issue. His cat being a stray cat is not in his favor. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this before

If you are that confident ask for your $$$$ back.

KEVINS

Established Member
IMO, I think the best thing that you can do is what was mentioned above: Be proactive in fixing the issue of the dogs getting out. If this goes to court I think it could help and it will certainly show that you are watching out for your neighbors safety which will be a nod in your favor. If you go this route it may even prevent the issue from going to court.
It truly sucks that it happened but show that you care about what happened and don't want to happen again whether you do or not.

Good Luck!
ks

Recon

Established Member
My labs killed some cats before but there wasn’t any retribution afterwards. Apparently people in KY hate cats.

Pick your poison.

blk02edge

Established Member
Yikes.... A stray cat wandering around is a lot different than a dog being free, i'd avoid using that excuse as it'll probaly just piss off who you are up against. Good luck though

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Before my Rottweiler passed away she ate a neighbor's Maltese. The dog was allowed to wander, and the owner did not care.

My dog had never hurt anyone or anything. This little cotton ball would always run around the gate and fence and tease my Rott. Naturally, the Maltese was faster, sadly he wasn't smarter.

The Maltese squeeze through the gate while I was out cutting grass, and I watched the little dog taunt mine. Before I could get to the dogs the Rottie grabbed the fur ball and shook it. Then she threw the dog in the air, caught it, and shook it again.

I carried the Maltese to the vet and covered all bills. The dog was stapled and stitched back together, and had meds, plus a full body brace for whiplash from head to tail.

That little dog never taunted my dog again.

My dog wasn't violent. I have no idea what she was thinking. She was used to other dogs, kids, and people. She was extremely social. All I can say is that dogs have personalities, and get pissed off at times just like humans.

CV355

_
Established Member
Lawyer up.
I'm about to go through the same situation with my neighbor. I used to like cats. Now I HATE THEM with a burning passion - outdoor ones that is. Our neighborhood is filled with disgusting cats that trash our yard, cars, front porch, garden... Today I found out that the worst cat out of all of them pissed on my sunroof, which got into the drain lip and tube, and stunk out the entire car. Our dogs chase them out the same way yours did, and then the neighbors are upset.

Seriously, lawyer up. And not trying to rub salt in any wounds, but while the offer to pay the vet bill was generous, $800 is insanely steep and I would not have done it. I would have said the cat attacked your dog and that would be that.

Sorry, NO sympathy for the cat. Hope the damn thing suffered.

I hate people that let cats run loose. If it would have died in your yard I would give you a high five.

Same. Irresponsible assholes. Outdoor cats are not pets- they are pests.

I have much more sympathy and empathy for animals than I do humans, but a disgusting ass cat that is damaging my property falls within the "rules don't apply to you" category. I have dreamed of trapping one of the cats and putting the trap on one of the 2' fireant mounds down by the pond. (I won't torture an animal... just venting frustration here)

I spent HOURS doing paint correction on my Volvo last year and the cat trashed the hood within 2 days.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread- don't let this derail it.

OP, seriously get a lawyer. I'm sorry for what you're going through. Protect yourself from someone's else's emotional problem. IF they cared about the cat in the first place, it wouldn't have been wandering the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread