My experience with Todd at Prestige Mustang

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Basically back on February 6th a buddy of mine was a friend of Prestige Mustang on Facebook and shared with me a post that Prestige was parting out a low mileage 1996 Mystic Cobra. I called Prestige Mustang right away because these parts don't last long. After spending half an hour on the phone with Todd Welburn, the owner, I pulled the trigger on the 35k mile Mystic front bumper cover, rear bumper cover, rocker panels and endcaps at a shipped price of $1445.........That's $700 for the rear bumper cover and rocker panels, $550 for the front bumper cover and $195 for shipping from Georgia out to California.

The following pictures show what I found when I opened the crate it was shipped in:

16125971_large.jpg

16125973_large.jpg

16125974_large.jpg

16125976_large.jpg

16125977_large.jpg

16125978_large.jpg

16125979_large.jpg

These next pictures show the condition of the Mystic front bumper cover. I was told that this bumper was "in very good condition, the best Mystic bumper we've had in awhile. A few minor scuffs and scratches, no clearcoat cracked or peeling".......I paid $550 for it, "free" shipping because it was being crated with the rear bumper cover........

16125980_large.jpg

16125981_large.jpg

16125982_large.jpg

16125983_large.jpg

16125984_large.jpg

16125985_large.jpg

16125986_large.jpg

16125988_large.jpg

16125989_large.jpg

16125990_large.jpg

16125991_large.jpg

I called Todd the next morning and explained how unhappy I was with the packaging and the condition of the front bumper cover. I asked him if they ran out of bubble wrap----He said "No". After not being able to get a straight answer from him as to why this stuff was packaged like this, I went into questioning how he could blatantly tell me that the front bumper cover was in very good condition when it so obviously was not. Todd requested for me to email him pictures, so I sent him 16 photos, many of those seen here. He said he would call me when he reviewed the photos and maybe we could work something out for free parts. I waited a day and a half for him to call me back but he didn't and then when I called him, one of his customer service reps took my name and number and said she would have Todd call me back. He still didn't call me back so I post a few (not the really detailed ones)of these pictures on Facebook and tagged Prestige Mustang and made a few comments about how I felt ripped off about the price of such a bad condition front bumper. I mentioned that I was still waiting for Todd to call me back about compensation.
The weekend goes by and still nothing on Monday so I call him again. Same deal with the customer service rep taking my name and number and same thing on Tuesday. Finally Tuesday afternoon I get ahold of Todd on the phone and ask if he's had a chance to review the pictures.....He says, "yes and I reviewed the Facebook too. I don't appreciate being slammed about the way I do business."
I told him how I felt about him not calling people back to work out compensation for a bad deal to which he responded, "That doesn't matter. The only deal I'm doing for you is that I will credit you the full amount if you send back the bumper cover."
I told him I wasn't covering return shipping, it's not my fault he misrepresented the condition of the bumper cover. He stated he couldn't cover return shipping either.
He stated he would "credit" me the amount, not refund me.
I am aware that Prestige Mustang does not issue refunds on "used" parts.

I got sick of Todd's charades and went straight to my bank and filed a dispute for the $550 charge for the front bumper cover. After explaining to them that Todd would not cover return shipping for the bumper, they immediately issued me a $550 credit to my Visa card and reversed the charge to Prestige Mustang. PM has 45 days to dispute it.

The End.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
good for you OP! they will probably contest it, but if it was all as you said, then they are in the wrong.

would definitely like to hear the other side of the story though.

good luck!

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
good for you OP! they will probably contest it, but if it was all as you said, then they are in the wrong.

would definitely like to hear the other side of the story though.

good luck!

I understand completely about you wanting to hear the other side of it.
It's been a couple of weeks since they issued the refund and I haven't heard anything yet from my bank or Prestige Mustang.
I figured the pictures pretty much tell the story, Todd can't dispute that.
Before I even posted any of the pictures to Facebook, the first thing out of my mouth was, "are you going to cover return shipping on this bumper?" and he said he couldn't do that but would figure some other way to help me out.
Problem is, he kept leaving me hanging.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Well I wanted to check out their facebook, so I quickly googled the name. "Prestige Mustang" Link 1 is their website. Links 2 in a thread(not this one) saying to not do business with them. Link 3 is their ebay. Link 4 is yet another link to a thread telling people to not do business with them. Link 5 is their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/prestigemustang

Their facebook is ran as a person, not a business, so I went ahead and reported them to facebook for having an inappropriate account. :) If anyone else wants to do the same, I'm sure it would help.

As for the OP, sucks they lied to you. However, in this day in age, there is absolutely ZERO reason to do business with any person, yet alone a "business" that can't provide proper pictures of a used part.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
So was everything else ok?

Yes!
I just installed the rear bumper cover today and the rocker panels/endcaps a couple of weeks ago. After spending a couple of hours compounding and polishing the crap out of them, they turned out awesome!!
The rear bumper cover was exactly what I was expecting for the price; a couple of scuffs and a few rock chips on the drivers side of it.
The rocker panels have some very sticky crap on them that looks like residue from Duct Tape but I'm scared crapless of touching it with Goo Gone for fear of wrecking the clear coat on it.

My biggest beef with this guy is that he seemingly lied about the condition of the front bumper cover despite my detailed questioning about the condition of it. That and the crap packing job with no protection whatsoever for the front bumper.
The only picture he posted was a side view of the car and the front end looked slammed. I knew there had to be something going on and I asked Todd directly about it. Even after pulling the bumper from the car he didn't say a damn thing about the poor condition of the bumper. Instead, he gave me a sob story about how he had a lady "bawling her eyes out to him on the phone" because he sold the bumpers to me.

Last edited:

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member

I'm very well aware of this but I figured that talking directly with Todd, the owner, would have put me at ease with buying stuff from them.
The guy sells quite a bit of stuff so you kind of have to think that there are very few people out there that are unhappy.........right?
Not to mention that these are Mystic parts which are pretty difficult to obtain in any capacity.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good for you in nailing this guy. And LOL at him getting mad because you took this to his Facebook page. If he ran his business like he should, he wouldn't have had your comments posted to begin with. Some people just should not be in a business of any type. As always, buyer beware! If possible, research the seller before you buy. That's not always possible, but don't rush into a purchase, either. Due diligence prior to the purchase just might save you a headache or two.

Glad your bank is taking care of you. And you were smart to do this before too much time passed. I've seen that happen too many times, and then the buyer is pretty much at the mercy of the seller.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Damn, here's my email from my buddy in Atlanta that is piecing my 93 Cobra back together. Just got this yesterday. I'm not happy at all and the fact I have to pay more gas because Todd had my shit at his house. WTF?!!

"Hey buddy! I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I've already picked up your parts. I had to go out there twice, because the first time he had your x pipe at his house. I'm not to happy with the way the parts look, i guess I'll have to clean them up and paint them. I hope the work. No worries though, I've got everything now. I should be able to put that stuff on later next week. I'll get you an itemized list of stuff done, and labor owed as well as my trip out to east bumble twice!"

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I try not to deal with guys running businesses out of their garage as a matter of course. Thanks the the heads up though.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I try not to deal with guys running businesses out of their garage as a matter of course. Thanks the the heads up though.

Sure, no problem.
Todd has been running his business for 30 years and moved to a very large location back in 1991. He's well established in the area.
It's another case of the business owner expanding so that he's "too big to care" about the customer. Despite the unhappy ones, there are always more people out there who don't know.
Then again, there are also people out there who never complain if they receive anything less than what they expected. One of my buddies that I work with has this exact mindset concerning some 4-valve heads and engine block that he left with a well established company in Camarillo, CA. I can't say the companies name because it would be considered "flaming a vendor" on here. But they wronged him in so many ways it wasn't even funny and he just keeps rolling with it instead of taking back what's his.
There is a statement from Todd on the Prestige website saying that "providing excellent customer service is still our number 1 priority." Todd certainly proved that, didn't he?

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Damn, here's my email from my buddy in Atlanta that is piecing my 93 Cobra back together. Just got this yesterday. I'm not happy at all and the fact I have to pay more gas because Todd had my shit at his house. WTF?!!

"Hey buddy! I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I've already picked up your parts. I had to go out there twice, because the first time he had your x pipe at his house. I'm not to happy with the way the parts look, i guess I'll have to clean them up and paint them. I hope the work. No worries though, I've got everything now. I should be able to put that stuff on later next week. I'll get you an itemized list of stuff done, and labor owed as well as my trip out to east bumble twice!"

What excuse could Todd possibly have had for pulling some crap like that?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
What a prick. Trying to get you to pay shipping charges for something that is obviously their fault is downright scummy. If he doesn't like getting slammed on Facebook he should have gotten back with you immediately. How businesses do not understand this is beyond me.

Good on you for sticking it to him OP.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Sounds like you were able to get the money back through your bank. Have you heard any more from Todd?

I'm surprised that you would have bought the used parts based only on his description. I would have insisted on detailed pictures before I made the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread