My FFR AC Cobra build thread

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I have eyeball the JK motor I think it might be too wide for the Cobra. I have not actually taken measurements from an example of each though. That will be pretty darn sweet in your’69 btw. Is 830hp n/a?
Yes, N/A on 91 octane.

Yes it's a thicc motor. However, I have seen a 427 SOHC in one, and knowing that a Boss 429 can fit in a car where a 427 SOHC was, I'm guessing it would fit. I can't find a side by side pic, but the SOHC seems wider.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Rethinking my motor. Spoke with Gordon Levy from Levy Racing and I'm looking at some other options.
Originally I had spoken to him about brakes and will be changing up my order a bit.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Rethinking my motor. Spoke with Gordon Levy from Levy Racing and I'm looking at some other options.
Originally I had spoken to him about brakes and will be changing up my order a bit.
Wizbang, have you Googled Gordon Levy or Levy Racing? Some not so good information posted about him on the Factory Five forum back in February.

The one I seen is out of Mobile AZ.

Just wondering if you have done research on him? If it's the same one I found.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Wizbang, have you Googled Gordon Levy or Levy Racing? Some not so good information posted about him on the Factory Five forum back in February.

The one I seen is out of Mobile AZ.

Just wondering if you have done research on him? If it's the same one I found.

Yeah, I looked at a number of sources on him. Most are positive. Gets great reviews from those that deal with him. I think there's always going to be some that just can't be happy. I'd be interested in any backstory you might have.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yeah, I looked at a number of sources on him. Most are positive. Gets great reviews from those that deal with him. I think there's always going to be some that just can't be happy. I'd be interested in any backstory you might have.
No sir, I don't have any back stories or experiences with him. When I seen you listed Levy Racing I was interested in seeing who they were. So, I looked them up and found the complaints on Gordon.

So, was just wanting to know if you were aware of it.

I get it. Some people are never satisfied, but wanted you to know what was out there so, you could do your due diligence.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
No sir, I don't have any back stories or experiences with him. When I seen you listed Levy Racing I was interested in seeing who they were. So, I looked them up and found the complaints on Gordon.

So, was just wanting to know if you were aware of it.

I get it. Some people are never satisfied, but wanted you to know what was out there so, you could do your due diligence.

I'll continue to vet him and anyone else I deal with. Of course there are no guarantees that everyone will be what they present themselves to be. I am a big believer in karma. What comes around, goes around.

Btw, signed up for the build class. Not sure why I want to be in Flint MI in the middle of December, but that's how it worked out.

I'm also changing the seats. Going with a high back seat, like a Sparco or Cobra. I've heard the low back seat can cause you to whack your head on the rollbar under hard acceleration.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Yes, N/A on 91 octane.

Yes it's a thicc motor. However, I have seen a 427 SOHC in one, and knowing that a Boss 429 can fit in a car where a 427 SOHC was, I'm guessing it would fit. I can't find a side by side pic, but the SOHC seems wider.
I was at a car show today and looked at a couple of cars, a backdraft and FFR, looks like you are correct, the Boss 9 would likely fit

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Garage is getting prepped for the build.
20230911_155309.jpeg

Your government is lying to you

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you doing the entire garage floor? I see a lot of equipment still in there even as the workers are doing the floor.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you doing the entire garage floor? I see a lot of equipment still in there even as the workers are doing the floor.
Yes, the whole floor will be done. Doing half now and the other half next Monday. The tricky part is going to be organizing the whole thing. I've got some full length cabinets coming, so that should help.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, news flash. An opportunity to put a 428 PI FE in this car has arisen. It is a fresh rebuild at .030" over and is complete and running on a test stand. One concern I have is, the ad says the shop found a "porosity leak" in the block and it was repaired. Sounds like a crack to me. He's asking $10,500. Should I pursue this further? Would be pretty cool to have that old iron in there, but it's heavy.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
FE block in there would be cool, much better than the push rod 5.0 that are in so many. Might stay clear of this one though “porosity” in the block sounds more like casting flaws to me than a crack. If there is one known issue, there could be more hiding

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, news flash. An opportunity to put a 428 PI FE in this car has arisen. It is a fresh rebuild at .030" over and is complete and running on a test stand. One concern I have is, the ad says the shop found a "porosity leak" in the block and it was repaired. Sounds like a crack to me. He's asking $10,500. Should I pursue this further? Would be pretty cool to have that old iron in there, but it's heavy.
Give him a shout, see what the the porosity leak was and how the repair was made. The weight of the engine you chose will likely never be felt in anyway by you. Its roughly 150 pounds difference.

But if you are going for all out performance, and weight savings is a priority, Sure go with a mod 5.0 it's also nice to work on a old engine, just basic components.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Give him a shout, see what the the porosity leak was and how the repair was made. The weight of the engine you chose will likely never be felt in anyway by you. Its roughly 150 pounds difference.

But if you are going for all out performance, and weight savings is a priority, Sure go with a mod 5.0 it's also nice to work on a old engine, just basic components.
I may do that just to find out how a porosity leak is fixed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Finnegan had an episode where they found a water leak in the head on his drag boat. It was a porosity leak in the head between a couple valves. It was a trip to see the water just rise up through the metal. They put some JB Weld on it and I believe he's still running that set up.

prs97

Established Member
Personally, I'd prefer an engine that didn't have any stories. Less to worry about but that's just me.

Looking forward to the build updates.

The Cobra was (yet another) poster car for me growing up. I loved the 427 cars but as I've gotten older, I'd like to build a 289 FIA body car. Maybe some day.

Last edited:

ToddW702

Established Member
Pin drive knock off wheels look so good on these. I would try to get the most reliable easy to maintain set up to enjoy driving it as much as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll stay with the original plan. While it would be cool to open the hood and see that monster in there, I just don't want to take the risk. As was already mentioned, I just want to drive and enjoy it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to do a 347 stroker. As light as these thing are...
I've read many, many opinions on how much HP you need in one of these. Most guys say that anything much over 450 will get you into trouble quick. 350-400 seems to be the sweet spot. I, of course, will go for what gets me into trouble quick.

Users who are viewing this thread