My FFR AC Cobra build thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I've read many, many opinions on how much HP you need in one of these. Most guys say that anything much over 450 will get you into trouble quick. 350-400 seems to be the sweet spot. I, of course, will go for what gets me into trouble quick.

Your government is lying to you

HELL YEAH!!!! I'm with you on that.

I wanted to get 600HP out of my stroked 427. However, I went with my old AFR185 heads instead of the AFR205 heads. So, I'm down around 500HP due to the lower air flow rate. However, let me tell you, in my 65, it is a TON of fun.

I've have friends with Chevy's and 454's in their car and tell me they wouldn't want to race me LMAO!!!

I would love to have my 427 stroker engine in a Shelby Cobra. Damn, I can only imagine what that would feel like and how much fun that would be....

More Power.JPG

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Update time. Just finalized my order and should be ready on 11/25. Not sure how long it will take to be delivered.
It isn't the delivery but how long you get it done. And by done when you are 100% totally happy with the final outcome. Know one that bought a Factory 5 in 2000 and it took him till late 2015 when he finally said that's it. He kept adding little bits like the driver snap cover to make it a 1 person racer and various other additions and 4 repaints. He started out with the white with blue center strip, to black with a white strip, to what look like Dodge Destroyer grey to now a burnt orange with twin center stripes. Under cloud it looks sort of like a light red but under sun WOW! Sadly I have not seen him around in the last 2 years at any shows.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm really pushing myself to not let this build linger. I'm planning on 6 months to 1 year for completion. Although I've heard a lot of guys say "it's never really done".
I'm trying to line up a paint shop already.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm really pushing myself to not let this build linger. I'm planning on 6 months to 1 year for completion. Although I've heard a lot of guys say "it's never really done".

I kind of like the sloppy mantra of get it running then get it perfect. You can always keep tinkering with it later but get it drivable sooner than later. it "never being done" is sometimes the only reason we hang onto shit, once you're not messing with it anymore it can lose something.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

I really hope you can meet your self imposed time line Wizbang.

When I was building my 65 I did everything myself except the interior (I considered it complete, but I did add gauges to my dash and installed a center console). I initially set a goal of 1 year. And I worked EVERY weekend and holiday on the car. I then decided to give the car a complete respray/brand new paint job.

After everything was said and done I finished the car 2 years after the day I started. I don't know your available time to work on your car (i.e. every day, nights only, weekends only, etc.). All, I'm saying is just be prepared for set backs on your expected completion date (whether it's due to your available time, waiting on parts or waiting on another shop to do something (i.e. painting, etc.).

However, I hope you get it done in the time you indicated. Can't wait for the build to start brother!!!

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks. I signed up for the build class. That should help things move along. I hear a lot of guys talk about getting to the go-cart stage, no body but running and drivable. I think the biggest holdups are going to be if parts are not immediately available from FFR and engine/transmission delays. Already ordered a special set of brakes from Gordon Levy and they should be here in a few weeks. There is the possibility that I'll be at the build class when my kit arrives. :(

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I find that life gets in the way. Parts availability is sometimes sketchy, things that you think should be in stock everywhere are sometimes no where to be found. Parts that are supposed to fit sometimes need to be “massaged” to work in your application. These are just some of the little annoyances that get in the way.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I find that life gets in the way. Parts availability is sometimes sketchy, things that you think should be in stock everywhere are sometimes no where to be found. Parts that are supposed to fit sometimes need to be “massaged” to work in your application. These are just some of the little annoyances that get in the way.
I am expecting some delays, it's inevitable. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Users who are viewing this thread