My FFR AC Cobra build thread

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Very true. Only the thing is you can buy some thing really nice ones done. Of course that kind of takes the fun out of it…
While true, I feel like those are very different goals/objectives... most people who build them want to enjoy the process of building it likely more than actually driving one. The people who buy them already finished might tinker with it or change a few things, but they just want to own it and drive it.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
While true, I feel like those are very different goals/objectives... most people who build them want to enjoy the process of building it likely more than actually driving one. The people who buy them already finished might tinker with it or change a few things, but they just want to own it and drive it.
Yes. I am not as big into driving… Just sucks. Lol.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hey @wizbangdoodle, I haven't been in here as much as I would like. Been busy adding to my collection as well LOL.

This thing is awesome! Loving the parts you got with it. Sorry about your windshield. Hopefully the carrier or FF will get you taken care of quickly.

Have you given any more thought on color? I see you will have black and grey interior, so I'm guessing that will play a part in your final color determination.

Looking GREAT so far.....

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey is this your only build thread or are you doing one on their forum as well?

prs97

Established Member
This thought process stops a lot of us .
“ hopefully I break even “

Honestly I’m at the point of **** it.

Break even for what? We all have jobs or sources of income, if we get a little Under but we finish the project, and enjoy it. **** yes.

When we die we die. Nobody will be like.. “ oh man… so and so spent 10k extra on this build.. it’ll really effect him in the afterlife “

I really need to get better at this philosophy!

Looking forward to the build pics OP! Congrats on the early Christmas present.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey @wizbangdoodle, I haven't been in here as much as I would like. Been busy adding to my collection as well LOL.

This thing is awesome! Loving the parts you got with it. Sorry about your windshield. Hopefully the carrier or FF will get you taken care of quickly.

Have you given any more thought on color? I see you will have black and grey interior, so I'm guessing that will play a part in your final color determination.

Looking GREAT so far.....
Glad to see you're following. I can always use suggestions. Color is still up in the air. I could go the traditional blue with white stripes, but want something different. I was thinking a deep, dark green metallic with maybe dark gray ghost stripes, but I haven't seen a green I like. When I was a kid, my brother had a '70 Torino 429CJ. He had it painted dark metallic green and always thought that was beautiful, but I'm not feelin' it on the Cobra. Reds are in play.
Hey is this your only build thread or are you doing one on their forum as well?
So far, this is the only build thread. I may add to their site, but I'm not looking to create more work. :)
I really need to get better at this philosophy!

Looking forward to the build pics OP! Congrats on the early Christmas present.
Thanks.

As far as the build and the costs and why do it... if you're trying to make money or break even doing this, forget it. It's kind of like the old saying mountain climbers had when asked why they climb the mountain. "Because it's there" is what they would say. Why build it? Because I can. I love cars and mechanical things. I love to tinker. I'm having a blast.

The incredibly long driveshaft.

Attachments

• 20231211_182749.jpg
    20231211_182749.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 56

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glad to see you're following. I can always use suggestions. Color is still up in the air. I could go the traditional blue with white stripes, but want something different. I was thinking a deep, dark green metallic with maybe dark gray ghost stripes, but I haven't seen a green I like. When I was a kid, my brother had a '70 Torino 429CJ. He had it painted dark metallic green and always thought that was beautiful, but I'm not feelin' it on the Cobra. Reds are in play.

if you're trying to make money or break even doing this, forget it. Why build it? Because I can. I love cars and mechanical things. I love to tinker. I'm having a blast.

I think green is an excellent color option. As a kid green was my favorite color. Even to this day I look to see what shades of green are appealing to me. I agree there are some bad ones out there LOL. I'm "NOT" a fan of lime green. I am also "NOT" a Jet's fan. However, when I see them play I really like the green on their helmets.

I hear you on "why" do this. Unless you're running a business and building cars for clients, it's best if you do this purely for the joy and satisfaction.

And it's awesome to hear you're having a blast.....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

As far as the build and the costs and why do it... if you're trying to make money or break even doing this, forget it. It's kind of like the old saying mountain climbers had when asked why they climb the mountain. "Because it's there" is what they would say. Why build it? Because I can. I love cars and mechanical things. I love to tinker. I'm having a blast.

The incredibly long driveshaft.
Well said!!! That's the best motivation to have my friend. Makes whatever the end cost (money and time) becomes well worth it. I'm sure Glenn would totally agree.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Have you personally sat in a completed one? I've read about the pedal box being pushed outboard to make room for the engine and transmission, but as much as I've tried to check them out at car shows, I've never gotten a real idea for how pronounced that trait is.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, here's the finished product. Friday and Saturday, no rain. Sunday, the day for fat free cookies, rain. Class was definitely a good thing to do. Feel much more confident going into this project.

Cool. I forgot you said you were doing this and thought you were done with yours already.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you personally sat in a completed one? I've read about the pedal box being pushed outboard to make room for the engine and transmission, but as much as I've tried to check them out at car shows, I've never gotten a real idea for how pronounced that trait is.
Yes, sat in this one, once it was finished. Foot box is tight, but not too bad. You wouldn't want to wear cowboy boots while driving.

I actually found it to be comfortable.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well said!!! That's the best motivation to have my friend. Makes whatever the end cost (money and time) becomes well worth it. I'm sure Glenn would totally agree.
Hell YES I agree Bob! LOL. My Dad always told me I was over building my 65 and I would never get my money back out of it. Told him I was never building it to make a profit. I was building my dream car with the parts I wanted and the way I wanted it. The money was never a factor. If I could afford it and wanted it I went for it LOL....

Awesome ideology you have @wizbangdoodle !!!

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Just a couple pics for now. Doesn't look like much has been done, but there's a lot of marking and measuring before the body comes off. Had to build the body buck also. I modified the body buck to roll and also have a lower shelf to hold the doors, trunk lid and hood.
bd63c4218a9ff32052a0c5ed80279f29.jpg
a6147c9ce13aba40e7a249e9e0cc7eef.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread