My friend's 86 GT and pictures of my 86 GT engine and interior where the Terminator X is finish being installed.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
My buddy and I both have 86 GTs, he has a Light Regatta Blue one and I have a Dark Gray 86 GT. He just put new wheels and tires and had his hood painted. Just waiting for his hood decal to show up. Car looks badass right now. I'm trying to get my car close to his stance. I have coilovers and suspension parts ready to go after I finish the Terminator X and have it tuned. He has a 331 stroker with a TKO500 and an 03 Cobra IRS with a Pro-M Stand alone ECU. I'm trying to catch up, but I have a stock block 302 with a TFS top end kit, stock T5, Terminator X, 17x9 Pony R replicas in chrome with 255s. I'm going to put MT 275s on the rear soon. My friend has Revolve wheels in case you're wondering in 18x9 with 245s up front and 265s in the back. I don't remember the exact measurements. He had 18x10 GT350R reps on before and they were too wide, these fit perfectly in the rear and could probably use a little more tire up front, then again these are free tires. He works at a Mercedes Benz dealership and it's shocking what they remove when they put a car up for sale as a pre-owned one and they pretty much just take off any tires no matter how good of condition they are.

When I had my 99' GT with 18x10s/18x9s, he gave me the front tires for free which were used from a trade in and the tires were practically new which were 275 Continental Contact which fit perfect for that generation car.

LRB 86-1.jpeg

LRB-86-2.jpeg

LRB-86-3.jpeg

Sorry, my car is on jack stands in my one car garage, so it's hard to take any shots of my car, so just engine shots and the ECU shots. I'm going to clean up the wiring in the engine bay once everything is running the way I want it to and mount the LCD touch screen somewhere in a position it can fit into, but also be removed and hidden.

DGM-86-1.jpeg

DGM-86-2.jpeg

DGM-86-3.jpeg

DGM-86-4.jpeg

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I would do very suspicious stuff to men I don’t know in an alley for that car.

Super clean. Need some shots of yours once it’s off stands.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Thanks guys! I am definitely a bit jealous of my friend's 4-eye. I think it looks fantastic! When he had the GT350R replicas just didn't look right on the car, they just didn't fit properly, but a good 5 spoke design is always a good look IMO.

I was going to say you can see my sig pic for an idea of what my car looks like, but it's not there. I'll post an older pic. Don't mind the lift kit, the very next thing i'm doing is lowering the car and I already have all the parts for that process. Like I said, I want to put 275s on the rear wheels as well. For me the chrome 17" Pony R reps are perfectly fine with me. I think the chrome with the dark gray paint really meshes well together.

XjeiRIl.jpg
gray-86.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your buddy's '86 GT is stunning. Love it! That paint color really makes the exterior POP! Your own '86 paint looks great. I do agree that the chrome replicas go well with the dark gray.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i have left this window open for 2 days just to stare at these cars. might start a hunt for a 4-eye hatch, did not see this comin

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Both awesome cars, and yes, the chrome ponys look right at home and classy as hell with that paint. Good choice.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
i have left this window open for 2 days just to stare at these cars. might start a hunt for a 4-eye hatch, did not see this comin
Haha, very nice! I don't blame you, whenever I see a clean 4-eye, it grabs my full attention. The funny thing is, I didn't just buy a 4-eye because I found a good deal on it, I specifically wanted an 86 GT since when I was growing up my Dad had an 86 GT and we used to go to the track just about every week it seemed. We bonded over cars. I used to help him work on his Fox and because of my Dad I became the Mustang loving 4-eye centric guy I am today. Oddly enough, my Dad's 86 GT was Light Regatta Blue like my friends. My Dad's car had a Vortech S-Trim, GT-40 tubular manifold, GT-40 heads, and much more. You have to remember in the early 90s the aftermaket for Fox Bodies wasn't anywhere as big as it is today. My Dad actually bought that car brand new in 1986.

Both awesome cars, and yes, the chrome ponys look right at home and classy as hell with that paint. Good choice.

Thanks! I can't wait to get my car lowered and stick a little more meat in the rear. I actually have all the brand new suspension parts just sitting in my basement and my buddy and I plan to install everything very soon at his house in his garage since he has a 2 car garage with a divider area in the middle which makes it even bigger, so we'll have a lot more room to work on it.

I plan on doing a 5 lug conversion next and Wilwood brakes up front and 03/04 Cobra brakes in the rear. My friend actually has an extra 8.8 with the mounting brackets for the Cobra brakes and I believe they are Moser 5 lug axles that are brand new he said I could have since he has an IRS on his 86. I really like the chrome Pony wheels since I like the old school look, but in 17". Only thing is, i'll have to buy new wheels when I do the 5 lug conversion and i'm debating to just get another set of chrome Pony wheels in 5 lug, or pick up a set of Cosmis Racing XT-005R. They look very similar to my friend's 86 GT's wheels. I actually almost bought these wheels for my 2013 WRX and never even thought about putting them on a Mustang until recently.

cosmis-racing-xt-005r-black-machined-lip-milled-spokes-ford-mustang-2.jpeg

I picked the DSG Mach 1 image since it's close to the color of my car. Idk, I still really like the look of chrome on gray and might change my mind once my car is lowered.

3 of my friends have 86s. 2 GTs and a coupe. Yes, a 4-eye coupe.

Sounds like he's got 4-eye fever. It's quite infectious!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Haha, very nice! I don't blame you, whenever I see a clean 4-eye, it grabs my full attention. The funny thing is, I didn't just buy a 4-eye because I found a good deal on it, I specifically wanted an 86 GT since when I was growing up my Dad had an 86 GT and we used to go to the track just about every week it seemed. We bonded over cars. I used to help him work on his Fox and because of my Dad I became the Mustang loving 4-eye centric guy I am today. Oddly enough, my Dad's 86 GT was Light Regatta Blue like my friends. My Dad's car had a Vortech S-Trim, GT-40 tubular manifold, GT-40 heads, and much more. You have to remember in the early 90s the aftermaket for Fox Bodies wasn't anywhere as big as it is today. My Dad actually bought that car brand new in 1986.
that is awesome, and also a big part why i like them. my friends and i all had fox GTs in high school, i'll never forget when my uncle pulled up in his new notch with 10 holes, the whole family and friends circle is eat up with it... we will repair/race/modify anything lol, i've had a couple notches since, but no 4-eye yet and nothing as nice as these. i'm a sucker for a father/son project also, the whole reason for putting a cam in my ZL1

this is why EV makes me sad, they're not just transportation to us, but that's a story for another day.

beautiful cars man

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My brother has a 86 he bought new in 86. Has about 140K miles. It sat outside for a while, paint is shot, dash cracked, etc.....
He offered it to me for $1500. I think I'm gonna take it.
It is still bone stock and still runs and drives.

Users who are viewing this thread