my na mach vs 2.95 upper 03 cobra

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
its because of where they make power, the point in which the highest average hp/tq is made. Simply put, your going to be in your power band longer with a lower gear like a 3.31, which you want in something with lots of torque and good average output like bolt on Cobras. This is assuming your roll racing. Not to mention the whole idea of the time it takes to change gears. This is one of the reasons the C6Z is so nasty from higher rolls even stock. (my friend is an engineer that I trust and has explained this to me many times, this is as best as I can remember or translate what he said :) )

From a stop this is debatable, and in most cases you will run better with a higher gear with the right driver, but still power/car dependent. Your driving a big heavy car, and the motor is going to think its a lot lighter with that taller gear letting it rev easier, but for every rev your getting, it will be turning the rear wheels a fraction less of a rotation compared to a lower geared car.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Well hell, I'm gonna get some 2.08 gears and only race in my powerband. That way I will stay in it longer = go faster.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Shorter gears (4.10+) are better suited drag racing, longer gears(3.55 and 3.73) for roll racing (anything 20mph and up). Once the weight of the car is in motion, the mechanical advantage of the shorter gears is gone and the 3.55 or similarly geared car will be at an advantage when speaking solely on rear gear.

One gear cannot be better at both drag and roll racing. Each has its benefits, but they do not transcend.

Cobra916 and myself have gone back to longer gears and got the results we wanted in roll racing. Tmhutch will agree with this. I can find the quote if it will make any difference.

cobra916

Established Member
Shorter gears (4.10+) are better suited drag racing, longer gears(3.55 and 3.73) for roll racing (anything 20mph and up). Once the weight of the car is in motion, the mechanical advantage of the shorter gears is gone and the 3.55 or similarly geared car will be at an advantage when speaking solely on rear gear.

One gear cannot be better at both drag and roll racing. Each has its benefits, but they do not transcend.

Cobra916 and myself have gone back to longer gears and got the results we wanted in roll racing. Tmhutch will agree with this. I can find the quote if it will make any difference.

well said.. i have old vids ill post this weekend..when i had 430s.. i did 60 rollls vs my buds supercharged m3.. first starting in 3rd and then 60 roll starting in 4th... same results!! both ways i lost half car by 120.. crazy shit...this is where i knew gears suck ass..

Stopsign32v

Established Member
:lol: The question is why the hell are you doing 60mph rolls? I could understand it if you had a 1000rwhp beast. But you make the power an average bolt on LS1 makes. LULZ

MachJoe

Established Member
I love my 4.10's. I shut down at about 120mph, but to be honest, going that fast in an older mustang is just scary. My last car was a 2011 GTI and that thing was a beast on the highway (had lots of mods). I'd hit about 150 before it shut down and it was smooth as butter. But my opinion is leave the roll races to the FI cars and let the NA cars (most of us) do what we do best, race from a dig. Mustangs are 1/4 mile cars. Just my opinion though...

cobra916

Established Member
:lol: The question is why the hell are you doing 60mph rolls? I could understand it if you had a 1000rwhp beast. But you make the power an average bolt on LS1 makes. LULZ

son.. let me tell you something about life..not everyone will be into the same thing you will be.. my car has a full mm suspension and will run circles around your car in both ways..now let your father be and run off back to your mom.. :fm:

cobra916

Established Member
Is it a convertible or coupe Cobra? The convertible 03-04s are pigs.

this thread is a year old...all the vids are on the first page.. i raced a vert with 410s,pulley and bolt ons.. 40 roll i had 430s at the time..i beat him by a little bit.. in the video its hard to see much... the cobra coupe i raced beat me but later i found out he was making more power then he was saying..i just race for fun and really dont care if i win or lose... but every cobra owner i have raced was impressed with my car.. here in my local area my car is well known by the mustang community.. not saying im a legend or something.. just people are very surprised what it does with minimal parts..

Stopsign32v

Established Member
son.. let me tell you something about life..not everyone will be into the same thing you will be.. my car has a full mm suspension and will run circles around your car in both ways..now let your father be and run off back to your mom.. :fm:

I can imagine you would win from a 60 roll or maybe road racing. Since my car has drag suspension and 4.56 gears. :poke: Lets do a dig on the street and see what happens. :lol: Or better yet do you have any track times from the dragstrip? I'm guessing no...son

Ricers race from rolls

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread