My new 5.5 DOHC is in!

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
why is that? everyone else is running th400s and have nothing but GREAT things to say about it..
i appreciate the response, but would love to hear why you say so
thanks!
final drive ratio of a TH400 is HORRID for a car like ours. Anything that has a high powerband is going to run like complete shit with it. Mainly people have good results with them is they are running smaller turbos which put them in the spot they want to be with a th400. with my 4r70w i have a steeper final drive and i can utilize my powerband better which is why im making over 1200rw with a 4R is its more suited for my setup. :beer:

How small of a housing can you get on a 67mm turbo? Even if you could get a .48 a/r housing, going down from a .68 isn't worth the money IMO. You might as well invest/trade for smaller turbos. An auto might make it better but it still is not going to make it's potential power until late in the RPM band. These turbos are HUGE! You figure guys are making 700+rwhp with ONE of these. The car would be much more driveable with smaller turbos. Why have turbos this big unless you are racing it and planning on making over 1200-1300rwhp. Just my opinion.
correct, anything under 4500 in my car it was slow as shit, as soon as you hit 5000 the car would instantly redline and practically lift the front of the car off the ground! For a street car this would bother me as its too late in the powerband, but since its for minimal street use it doesnt bother me, it will be a complete ANIMAL at the track. :rockon:

i dont understand how a th400 would ruin this car

read both posts above broskii :beer:

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
In my opinion, you will see the greatest benefit by switching to an automatic.
Whatever flavor you choose will be rewarding (Turbo 400 or 4R70W).

If you want overdrive the 4R70 gets the nod.
If not, then get the 400.

I have driven cars that had twins and a stick and twins with an auto.
The difference is unbelieveable.
The auto combo spools much better and decreases lag....period.

I am in the process of converting my Saleen over to an auto (4R70) for the same reason (well that and breaking Viper-spec T56 parts like toothpicks).

Don't change your turbos!

Ryan

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
In my opinion, you will see the greatest benefit by switching to an automatic.
Whatever flavor you choose will be rewarding (Turbo 400 or 4R70W).

If you want overdrive the 4R70 gets the nod.
If not, then get the 400.

I have driven cars that had twins and a stick and twins with an auto.
The difference is unbelieveable.
The auto combo spools much better and decreases lag....period.

I am in the process of converting my Saleen over to an auto (4R70) for the same reason (well that and breaking Viper-spec T56 parts like toothpicks).

Don't change your turbos!

Ryan
Dude, your car is going to fly with an auto!

Blown02

Established Member
Im getting the feeling that I need smaller turbos and a th400. this car might see the track a couple times a year but 90% of the time(only weekends) itll be on the street...

Now I need to decide on turbos.. ahh where to begin! I want quick spool and high hp! I loved how my twin 57s felt with the 281..

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
Im getting the feeling that I need smaller turbos and a th400. this car might see the track a couple times a year but 90% of the time(only weekends) itll be on the street...

Now I need to decide on turbos.. ahh where to begin! I want quick spool and high hp! I loved how my twin 57s felt with the 281..

yea you dont really need anything bigger than 61s unless your going to rev the shit out of the car, transbrake it at 6K rpms etc. Id go with some nice 61mm turbos. :beer:

Id still take a 4R70w over a th400 anyday of the week.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
anyone wanna trade turbos :(

I'd swap one thing at a time first and do the trans and see how you like it. You can do the turbos after but you won't know if you'd like the ones you have now with an auto if you never try em.

Blown02

Established Member
buddy james has twin 67's on his car its a 302ci motor and a manual and his car is fast...

im sure this car is fast.. but no where near as fast as it should be.. im afraid of gettnig spanked by a car with half the hp lol.

i dunno man, this thing doesnt spool really till 5k rpms

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
lol, i am. :D but to be honest its more like a n/a 5.4 for the most part

Austin i would seriously consider getting a Nasty 4R70w. itll drop your spooltime easily by 1000RPM and if you get a forward facing sullivan upper it would make spooltime even better. I am installing my sullivan now and should be dynoing it again in a week, so i will let you know what my spooltime is then :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread