My new and exciting project.....SVO

spike_africa

Established Member
Lucky? I have always had a soft spot for the SVo cars. I would love to DD one as I heard the MPG isn't bad at all on those as long as you stay out of boost.

comprepsvo

Established Member
Some of the stock SVO motors on the highway can get 30 mpg. High 20's easily. The hardest thing to do is to keep your foot out of the boost!!!!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd love to see this one restored back to factory condition or as close as possible. IMO the SVO is one of the best Mustangs Ford ever made. It made about the same power as the GT and straight line performance was about equal. It was lighter and performed better on the twisties, of course. However, even though the SVO had a superior suspension (and other upgrades), Ford priced it about $6,000. over a GT. That and the fact that V8 muscle was always preferred was the death blow to the SVO.

Heck, with gas prices where they are, we might just be looking at a reemergence of the turbo-4 down the road. Because back in the early '80s high fuel costs are what drove Ford to introduce the SVO.

Would you consider the higher output '85 turbo?

SADF

Established Member
Heck, with gas prices where they are, we might just be looking at a reemergence of the turbo-4 down the road. Because back in the early '80s high fuel costs are what drove Ford to introduce the SVO.

Would you consider the higher output '85 turbo?

Probly see a v6 twin turbo stang for real from what I have been reading and hearing. I won't mind it, but I am partial to the wierder Fords.
Thanks for some of ya'll giving you comments on the gas mileage. That sounds great so I am 75% looking for one of these as my new DD. I want to make one handle good, thats my goal. They already handle sick and like you said, they were $6,000 over a GT and most rednecks like V8 power and who doesnt. Great car that was ahead of its time. I can't wait. SVO will look great next my L!

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Ive always wanted to put the DOHC SVT 4banger from the SVT Focus in one of those and turbo it. Update the tech, but keep the soul.

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
i have been wanting to drop an SVO engine in my 83 for a DD. But them lil things are expensive. Nice car man good luck on the project.

03sm3341

Established Member
My buddies brother in law has a sweet svo man that thing can take corners! PM me I can give you his phone number he LOVES to talk SVO's it would make his day to get a call from a fellow owner and he knows where to get the hard to find parts too.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
FWIW there are 'tons' of SVO guys in your neck of the woods that continually 'rescue' SVOs from the crusher/parting out

Raupleminze454

TORQUE INC.
Established Member
cool......good luck! I can keep an eye out for parts, I have a knack for finding weird shit. Anything in particular that you need?

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Thanks for all of your help guys, when i need help i'll pm you guys.

Nice find and good luck keeping it stock.

well appearance wise, it's gonna be completely stock. Im even gonna keep the original wheels. But my friend told me that he has put in bigger injectors and something else in the engine so that it has similar power to the 86 SVO. I'm still waiting for him to deliver my engine/tranny that came with the car.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Nice save!!! :beer:
I've always wanted an SVO.
Isn't 84 the year they had the "Premium Unleaded" switch under the dash?

Every now and then a decent one pops up for sale around here. One of these days I'll have one.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I gave mine to a buddy, but he's doing nothing with it. If you need some parts let me know, he might be willing to part it. I just didn't have the heart to do it myself after sinking 3k into it.

Users who are viewing this thread