My new to me Mach 1 and resulting 3 day detail...

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
True.

So with my black Shelby... paint correction would be needed.. bright light, scratches swirls etc.. previous owner probably washed it with sandpaper. Are there different levels to paint correction? Trying to estimate how much it would run to get my black paint to a mirror gloss.

Too have it done correctly, depends on the detailer. If you came to me you could do my Level 2 package which would run you $800 and get probably 80-90% correction. Which would make a huge difference on a black car covered in light scratches. Or you could go all out like I did on my car and spend upwards of $1500-1800. Mostly depending on the detailer who does it.

Now I can recommend you someone in your area. Buddy of mine who is a part-time detailer, very well known and does great work. Since he does it part-time harder to get on his schedule and his prices will be different than mine. Call him and tell him exactly this... "Mike#1 with Mirror Detailing sent me."

Mike Napoli - CMC Detailing - (704) 607-3816

Poppacapp

Established Member
Too have it done correctly, depends on the detailer. If you came to me you could do my Level 2 package which would run you $800 and get probably 80-90% correction. Which would make a huge difference on a black car covered in light scratches. Or you could go all out like I did on my car and spend upwards of $1500-1800. Mostly depending on the detailer who does it.

Now I can recommend you someone in your area. Buddy of mine who is a part-time detailer, very well known and does great work. Since he does it part-time harder to get on his schedule and his prices will be different than mine. Call him and tell him exactly this... "Mike#1 with Mirror Detailing sent me."

Mike Napoli - CMC Detailing - (704) 607-3816

I will do that. I am going to wait until I get my garage finished before I put the major money into the detail. Feel like it would be a waste if the vehicle sit outside for now.

Grabber5.sl0w

Established Member
For $2000, why would I use a Zymol product? There is nothing special about them. As for the Opti-Guard...its permanent, last easily 2-3 years, takes a certain process to apply and its actually $161 shipped. $300-400 is the going rate from other businesses/reputable detailers around the US.

You had to remember, I do this for a living and the price listed is what is valued for spending between 30-60 hours with a vehicle.

That stuff has only been proven to last 3-4 months. lol. I would never buy a Swissvax wax product. Way over priced and nothing special you get from them. Some detailers just use them to claim higher value out of their details. Telling a customer they use a $750 wax makes the customer think all the correct products are way overpriced and therefore expenses package work.

To my understanding the only difference between Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat is that Opti-Coat gives you longer to apply than Guard. And Opti-Coat is only $69.99 Shipped.

One of my buddies who is an expert detailer has been teaching me alot of things over the past year. He uses Zymol Vintage on his GT500 and it looks awesome. I don't know if you are saying Zymol isn't reputable or not but they make some quality waxes.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
To my understanding the only difference between Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat is that Opti-Coat gives you longer to apply than Guard. And Opti-Coat is only $69.99 Shipped.

One of my buddies who is an expert detailer has been teaching me alot of things over the past year. He uses Zymol Vintage on his GT500 and it looks awesome. I don't know if you are saying Zymol isn't reputable or not but they make some quality waxes.

The difference in Opti-Coat and Opti-Guard is that Opti-Guard cures at a much faster rate. It is truly a permanent product. Opti-Coat will start to wear off after a year. Opti-Guard has all the same features as Opti-Coat, but its just a much stronger and much more concentrated version. It will deepen the color of the paint slightly more, be a bit more hydrophobic, repel dirt better, retain gloss longer and as I already said, its permanent. Its good that Opti-Coat is $70, still does not change the fact that Opti-Guard is $150. Then you take into account of applying it correctly and making sure no high spots are left behind, professionals charge. The going rate with any high end detailer who is approved to use Opti-Guard is between $300-500.

Now, I have no idea who your buddy is. Is he a professional detailer and does it for a living? As for Zymol, yes, I am saying Zymol is okay. They have not changed any of their formulas in years. Some people still use their tire shine or some of their waxes. Thats it. But its very few and far between. When it comes to waxes, its simply users choice.

Grabber5.sl0w

Established Member
The difference in Opti-Coat and Opti-Guard is that Opti-Guard cures at a much faster rate. It is truly a permanent product. Opti-Coat will start to wear off after a year. Opti-Guard has all the same features as Opti-Coat, but its just a much stronger and much more concentrated version. It will deepen the color of the paint slightly more, be a bit more hydrophobic, repel dirt better, retain gloss longer and as I already said, its permanent. Its good that Opti-Coat is $70, still does not change the fact that Opti-Guard is $150. Then you take into account of applying it correctly and making sure no high spots are left behind, professionals charge. The going rate with any high end detailer who is approved to use Opti-Guard is between $300-500.

Now, I have no idea who your buddy is. Is he a professional detailer and does it for a living? As for Zymol, yes, I am saying Zymol is okay. They have not changed any of their formulas in years. Some people still use their tire shine or some of their waxes. Thats it. But its very few and far between. When it comes to waxes, its simply users choice.

Okay now I understand the Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat differences now. And my buddy is a chemical engineer who does it on the side. He pretty much can tell me every chemical in these waxes and why they are important and what they do over this wax or that wax.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
So glad someone else pointed this out for him. Because its pretty evident, reading comprehension failed him. If all I did was wax it...boy that was one really long wax process and I need to find a wax that can do what I did too the paint. because if so I will drop my prices substantially and make every car look better than new for many months.

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
If this would have been a customers car....

Products were 205 and HD Polish. Alcohol mixture to clean the paint. Opti-Guard (Have to be a business to purchase, Opti-Coat is the commercial brand.)

Trunk jambs were Chemical Guys Grime Reaper, assorted brushes and elbow grease.

Your using 205 not 105 ?

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Your using 205 not 105 ?

Nope. 205 and a MF Pad and the correct buffer was all I needed to get the level of correction needed. 105 would have just been pointless. Created more marring, more dust and cut more clear than required.

That really cleaned up nicely. What did you use to clean the mineral build up off the glass?

1st Page. lol

POPPAJ

Established Member
Okay now I understand the Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat differences now. And my buddy is a chemical engineer who does it on the side. He pretty much can tell me every chemical in these waxes and why they are important and what they do over this wax or that wax.

Have your chemical engineer buddy(don't we all have one :D) tell you the difference between a wax, a sealant and a coating such as Opti-Guard.

Users who are viewing this thread