My Review of the 2011 GT500

harmon rabb

Established Member
does this article mention that the '11 has the ford gt cams? that's been confirmed in another thread i saw on here.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
When do you guys expect to see a full test of this car? and when will they be in the hands of the public?

91svtbird

Established Member
does this article mention that the '11 has the ford gt cams? that's been confirmed in another thread i saw on here.

When Ford held their "media release" of the 2011 GT500 where they described all the different upgrades to the engine, the blue FGT Cam covers were mentioned but the Ford GT cams were not mentioned at all. If the engine did get that upgrade I'm sure one of the four different spokesman Ford had there would have mentioned it.

Based on that and the rather small bump in power over the 2010 I would have to conclude that even with the SVT performance package, it does not come with the FGT cams........but hey, sometimes Ford holds back on telling everything so who knows.....

I have not heard anything yet on when they will begin building the 2011's.

Last edited:

03reptile

Established Member
When do you guys expect to see a full test of this car? and when will they be in the hands of the public?

I ordered mine on 01/29/10. According to dealer, it was built starting 04/06/10, so by now its built. ETA at the dealer is week of 04/18/10. Thats what the computer print out says; however, as we all know, that can be off a few days. I reasonably expect it around the first week in May.

Dave07997S

Established Member
I saw a thread in one of the other sites that saw the part numbers for the new cams in the 2011 GT500 and they were the same as the FGT. This is where this "rumor" came from.

Dave

Frank Dux

Established Member
Well, I almost bought a 2010, but pulled out. I just drove an '07 and realized that the weight is a big issue. So now I'm thinking the 2011 performance pack.

By the way how does the 2010 compare to the 2007 in driving feel. They had a 2010 but it was sold and I could not drive it. I prefer the feel of the 2003 over the 07, and wondered how the 10 would feel.

Wonder if you would have any problem telling the dealer you want the regular wheels with the performance pack. I'd probably just get the stripe delete.

It sucks to be so picky.

I have the exact same sentiments... Is it worth moving from a modded 03 to the 2011??

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
My 03 just feels good, I know it's not light, but it sure did feel that way after I drove the 07. I still might get a 10, but will probably do FRPP springs or the full FRPP suspension upgrade right off the bat, with 2.6 pulley, intake, tune and off road x. I'm very interested in the 11, but don't know when they will hit stores and if I can get one for MSRP.

Has anyone had a 10 and done the FRPP suspension upgrade? What were the results? Height and of course how the car handled?

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Now I'm lost in indecision. I like the wider stripes, and the regular wheels, but would like the better suspension. I thought about buying the non PP model and lowering it, but a from the factory tuned suspension seems good even thou it's not quite as low as I might want.

So if I get the non PP car is it easy to find a good installer for a suspension upgrade? And what should I get, exactly? I want lowered height, say 1.5" and a slightly stiffer setup. I want it done right. I see the FRPP kit, and some are saying more is needed to make it work correctly. I'd like to just get Ford to install the setup before I pick the car up, but want it right. What to do. :shrug:

I'm tempted to get the PP and get the Dealer to put on the regular wheels and the regular stripes. Am I crazy?

Last edited:

Frank Dux

Established Member
Now I'm lost in indecision. I like the wider stripes, and the regular wheels, but would like the better suspension. I thought about buying the non PP model and lowering it, but a from the factory tuned suspension seems good even thou it's not quite as low as I might want.

So if I get the non PP car is it easy to find a good installer for a suspension upgrade? And what should I get, exactly? I want lowered height, say 1.5" and a slightly stiffer setup. I want it done right. I see the FRPP kit, and some are saying more is needed to make it work correctly. I'd like to just get Ford to install the setup before I pick the car up, but want it right. What to do. :shrug:

I'm tempted to get the PP and get the Dealer to put on the regular wheels and the regular stripes. Am I crazy?

You are in a worse dilemma than I am for sure... The PP rims are hideous IMO but the stripes i am not sure which ones I like more. I would go with a Black on grey scheme so the stripe is much less noticible but if you were to go with a different scheme I could see how it would bother you. I have seen dealers swap out rims in the past for the lower packaged rims but not sure how it would be on the Shelby. You can always get the originals and do a trade with someone that wants the others. I am sure there will be plenty on here...

jshen

Established Member
As an older guy, I don't like the idea of paying 50k for a car and then modifying it out of warranty. I've seen a total of 3 Shelbys in my area and my dealer won't give an inch on "his" prices. I like the 2011 and will look for one without the performance pack as I like the color scheme & stripes better, I am not planning on racing and I don't see 3 grand as being money well spent for some upgrades and 3.73 gears.

Given the prices and economy I wonder how many Ford will sell. The GT is much more attractive to the younger crowd where there will be at least 10k difference in price.:shrug:

91svtbird

Established Member

You might want to reconsider changing the wheels though.
At a savings of about 4.8 lbs off each wheel in the performance package will make a huge difference both in road handling, (especially over uneven roads) and 1/4 mile track times. Personally I like the new wheel, hard to over look the weight benefit.

Last edited:

monX

Established Member
Wow, I'm impressed all this weight savings is NEEDED and all the upgrades are welcome...

Thanks for breaking it down for us

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Black Photoshop Perf Pack Stripe Delete

black.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread