My Review of the 2011 GT500

mrose75

Established Member
Now I'm lost in indecision. I like the wider stripes, and the regular wheels, but would like the better suspension. I thought about buying the non PP model and lowering it, but a from the factory tuned suspension seems good even thou it's not quite as low as I might want.

So if I get the non PP car is it easy to find a good installer for a suspension upgrade? And what should I get, exactly? I want lowered height, say 1.5" and a slightly stiffer setup. I want it done right. I see the FRPP kit, and some are saying more is needed to make it work correctly. I'd like to just get Ford to install the setup before I pick the car up, but want it right. What to do. :shrug:

I'm tempted to get the PP and get the Dealer to put on the regular wheels and the regular stripes. Am I crazy?

Order the performance pack with stripe delete. Then swap the PP wheels with someone with the regular ones. There a few people who would be willing to swap, if not for looks for weight savings.

chuckstang

Established Member
My god who would choose the standard wheels over the PP wheels is beyond me.

Lets see, the rears are 20x10 (many more tire choices and wider)
Both front and rear are lighter than the standard 19s and they come with much better tires!

You would spend more than $3500 for wheels and tires alone, we have not even mentioned the fact that you get factory installed 373s and a better suspension!

Also, I know the 373s are negated by the taller rear wheel but throw some 18s on for the strip and your good to good.

My problem is Id rather it came with really light 18s all around and a lower stance. IMO Ford only lowered the PP cars enough to offset the taller tires all around. (anotherwords if they left the regular springs in there the car would actually sit taller than the regulater gt500!)

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member

Both front and rear are lighter than the standard 19s and they come with much better tires!

You would spend more than $3500 for wheels and tires alone, we have not even mentioned the fact that you get factory installed 373s and a better suspension!

Also, I know the 373s are negated by the taller rear wheel but throw some 18s on for the strip and your good to good.

My problem is Id rather it came with really light 18s all around and a lower stance. IMO Ford only lowered the PP cars enough to offset the taller tires all around. (anotherwords if they left the regular springs in there the car would actually sit taller than the regulater gt500!)

Now I'm thinking the PP with stripe delete, Black. I can't sit here and read 3 seconds off a 2.3 mile course and not want the PP. The wheels will grow on me and I want all the performance I can get. That's more important than a little bit of look difference on the outside. I'm going to keep telling myself this over and over.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I will eventually own a black 2011, vert performance pack, without stripes.

It may be 5 years from now, but it will happen.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
IF the new GT500 had an IRS, I would want one so much more then I already do...

um as if it isnt already a tank, there goes the 120lb weight savings with aluminum block if you put a irs in it it would weigh a good 100-300lbs heavier, as if a 3,600-3,900lb shelby isnt heavy enough lol it doesnt need a irs did u miss the part of faster by 2-3 seconds on a handeling course then the prior year shelbys and alot faster then the irs equipped 03-04 cobra :bash:

BigDan

Established Member

)

Shhhh I'd rather have the haters get the non PP or 2010 just so I can flaunt it once the 2011 PP styling grows on them and is tearing up the track. I gave up weeks ago on trying to convince people the 2011 PP is the best yet.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
The only thing I don't like about the stripe delete cars is you notice the really poor looking hood which looks more like a hood off of an Evo or other import car.

All Ford had to do was make 2 vents like the Term or 07-09 GT500 and it would have looked much better and less rice.

The stripes break about the bland and ghey hood

I really don't understand why people think the front is so great looking, its not.

BigDan

Established Member
The only thing I don't like about the stripe delete cars is you notice the really poor looking hood which looks more like a hood off of an Evo or other import car.

All Ford had to do was make 2 vents like the Term or 07-09 GT500 and it would have looked much better and less rice.

The stripes break about the bland and ghey hood

I really don't understand why people think the front is so great looking, its not.

About the heat extractor, I will be sending my stock on to Steve@TF to get it machined built out of a chunk of AL. :coolman:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
gt500live---03.jpg

yeah yeah..nice car..

but more importantly....is that a Focus RS in the background....?

donpablo

Established Member
Very positive and needed changes made. And I agree with the previous comments....it's all about decreasing the weight on these pigs. Of course < weight = > $

DP

NYStockboy

Established Member
Big Freakin Deal. I looked, I evaluated, I priced new Shelby GT 500's in 3 states. Either dealers didnt have what I wanted, or did but priced them above MSRP or felt they couldn't guarantee a 2011 delivery. An absolute exercise in futility. I purchased a 2010 Crystal Red Metallic Z06 at $15,000 and change under MSRP. Thats a smoking deal, for a beast of a car.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I thought you Termi guys hated the obese....and fixed rear axle GT500's?

ha ha, maybe the 03-04 Cobra owners in denial.

I think a lot of would be Camaro SS owners will gravitate towards the 2011 GT500 much like I did. Back in September is right when the Camaro SS started hitting the streets and I was all about to get one until I started to see how they stacked up against the comp and I wasn’t impress at all, even the supercharged versions were not worth it unless you went all out. So I started searching the 2010 GT500 and it was exactly what I was looking for except a lack of bad ass auto tranny. So since it was fall I decided to google 2011 GT500 and found threads about almost positive conformation the new AL block was coming for 2011. So naturally I decided to wait because I have patience and know I would have to live with that regret for the life of the car.
So here I am, the potential Camaro owner who was looking to buy once they hit the streets wasn’t impressed, cross-shopped the GT500 and google'd the up coming year only to find out of bigger and better changes for the next MY.

I've always been a Chevy guy had a low 12 sec 67 Camaro but I'm also practical and always go for the best and that's what the 2011 GT500 is going to be. I'm also too young for a vette. The 2010 Camaro was a really big let down for us Chevy Camaro fan's. They should call the new 2011 GT 5.0L the terminator cuz that what its gonna do to the Camaro SS and if they ever build a z28 it still wont be able to compete.

Just look at all the R&D in our new block
The Ford Engine Technology Good Enough For The Nissan GT-R - Shelby GT500 - Jalopnik

Well I agree that the Camaro doesn't hold a candle to the GT500, but the Camaro SS is a $35,000 car, the GT500 is a $50,000 car. :shrug:

does this article mention that the '11 has the ford gt cams? that's been confirmed in another thread i saw on here.

If it had FGT cams it would be rated at like 580hp+. :burnout: No way would the addition of FGT cams only net 10hp from last year.

Exactly how I'd want mine, wow..!

IF the new GT500 had an IRS, I would want one so much more then I already do...

It would be nice, but lets face it, a GT500 has more way more grip and it's way smoother than our 03-04 Cobras could ever be. It even feels more refined than the Camaro with an IRS. So nothing should be stopping you, sell that Cobra and buy one. :rockon:

Last edited:

95_XB331

Established Member
Sick.

But for $50k msrp..... it gets a :( face.

I just wish some of that tech would trickle down to us older pushrod folks so we can get more bang for the buck HP mods. I mean at 400HP on a pushrod motor, you're likely non-legal with off road parts, and that's not fun when the cops or state keep harrassing you. For instance, Ecoboost's EGR cooling/timing, the LSX's heads, or Viper's in-cam VVT.... those things keep high HP mods legal/gas efficient and would change the mustang aftermarket world if such mods were available for the good 'ol 302.

but more importantly....is that a Focus RS in the background....?

Hmmm... could be a 2011 Focus, but those are definitely RS wheels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread