My thoughts after trading my '14 GT500 on a '15 GT

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I find the comments by the OP about his 2014 GT500 interesting. I must congratulate him on purchasing a 2015 Mustang. It looks and sounds like a great car. Now, I would never get rid of my 2014 GT500. I just like it too much. I parked it next to a 2014 ZL1 and noticed how much better my GT500 looked than the ZL1. The ZL1 just looked so very plain. My GT500 has the track pack and handles very well. The workmanship is flawless on the body and interior. If I were the OP, I would have installed 4.10 rear gears. I can see how frequently driving in traffic with the stocks gears would leave something to be desired. I think Ford put the tall gears in the 2013-2014 GT500 to save us from paying the gas guzzler tax.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Kc, I do agree with you on certain things you said. Styling wise, honestly I saw the 15 in person and it's a great looking car. The rear looks great IMO.

I know certain shops that never bought a 11 to 14 mustang bc they didn't like the car and hated the rear very much. For shops to not have a shop car isn't really a good thing. It's good for business to have one. When mustang magic built snake bite it went viral and that shop was packed with 03 04 cobras. $$$$$$$. Get it? So I guess we all have our own opinion on what's nice looking.

I would take a new s550 over your car any day of the week. I'm not being a jerk. Just saying. No harm.

I don't have a problem with shops buying to cars up that's all fine and great! I personally didn't care much for the 10-12 styling either, the 13-14's were a complete home run. If you'd rather have a S550 vs a 13-14 5.0 fine. I drove A6 S550 5.0 M6 S550 5.0 PP and a M6 2.3 Ecoboost S550 over the weekend, do the cars have good lateral handling? Yes as one would expect with IRS. That being said it's a wheel hopping pile of shit if you do any sort of spirited straight line all 3 cars, the inside of the car is much smaller it almost has a Jetson dome feel as far as the roof is concerned it's sat in too much thus making you feel as though you're in a much smaller car than you actually are. All controls are crammed to close to each other, the steering wheel buttons are just too busy.

I just don't like the car, on the outside it's fine to look at so long as you aren't looking at it's ass the taillights are constructed horribly and I see them holding water as they're deep ass cavities. As for acceleration, it's not really a fair comparison I'm to used to my car which is modded a great deal, it's no comparison even my sales guy who hadn't ridden in my car since it was new was astonished at how much faster my current car is.

It would be one thing if the car looked so much better or weighed less thus justifying the small cabin space but to gain weight to make room for IRS, No thanks.
We'll see what the Shelby looks like, weighs, and numbers it puts down, maybe then it'll be worth the jump. So to say a prior 13-14 GT500 owner is happier in the S550 is just hogwash. Because i'll keep my shitty slow base 5.0 any day.

jimmy77

Established Member
I've been a hater of the 2015 GT. I went and looked at one yesterday and was impressed by the updates. Very nice cars, I'm floored about how much nicer it was then my 2012 GT and they look better in person. Makes my 2012 GT feel old. I can see why you traded in.

Same here. The pictures just don't do it justice. The car is very nice. Sounds like the ticket is a '15 PP with a supercharger...should cure ALL needs. Hopefully a lot of low mile GT500 owners make the switch so Ican pick one up at a reasonable price.....then again the GT350 is just days away....and it's going to be quite the car..I'll wait and see. Either way, Ford has done a great job.

97StangSVT

Established Member
Same here. The pictures just don't do it justice. The car is very nice. Sounds like the ticket is a '15 PP with a supercharger...should cure ALL needs. Hopefully a lot of low mile GT500 owners make the switch so Ican pick one up at a reasonable price.....then again the GT350 is just days away....and it's going to be quite the car..I'll wait and see. Either way, Ford has done a great job.

^This

hockeylover86

Established Member
You're confusing "fastest" with "best". The Shelby is a monster, but the S550 is by far the better all around car. The only thing it lacks is power, for now. It has the better chassis, suspension, engine, interior, etc. Really, the only thing that I think I'd swap from the Shelby to the GT is the TR6060.

For me, my 2014 Taurus is a "better all-around car".

My 14 GT500 is a better "fun" car...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
If you're DDing, I'd go 2015 GT. Weekend toy, Shelby handsdown. At the end of the day the GT is just another mustang in a sea of Mustangs. slow or fast, Shelby's garner attention, and I really don't even like mine due to the crappy TR6060.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Speaking with guys who have owned multiple stangs including the 13/14, most say the same as you. Great straight line performer but....yes the 15 doesn't have the exclusivity of the Shelby but it is a better platform overall. Power adders will be plenty once the aftermarket scene catches up.

what exclusivity is that? Everyone that has a bank account has one of the Shelby's these days. They are a dime a dozen there are so many out there.

Branhammer

Established Member
I love how the positive comments come from the guys who have driven/owned both and the negative comments come from guys who....have no idea what they're talking about :poke:

nickf2005

Established Member
what exclusivity is that? Everyone that has a bank account has one of the Shelby's these days. They are a dime a dozen there are so many out there.

They're a lot more exclusive than a GT. Not there is anything wrong with that, but it's a fact. Honestly, I see more Corvettes than Shelbys on the road. Yes, A Shelby is relatively affordable, but it's still not a 25k car.

Hourigan218

Established Member
I have a 13 boss and a 13 gt500 (now super snake) and I have driven the 15gt and all are very different cars. The 15 is very comfy and is very nice, smooth and refined. Its very euro like especially the interior, power is decent and aftermarket will be great for this car. With that said I still love my 13's they are raw compared to the 15. The 14 gt and 15 gt are the same power wise but the 15 feels very limber like the boss. I would pick one up but will probably wait till 16 to see what engine comes next. I don't want to be like the 2010 owners. As for the cars it's all a matter of preference all are good cars. The 15 is just the new kid on the block getting the attention but we will see how they will be doing on the streets again the older brothers.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member

They're a lot more exclusive than a GT. Not there is anything wrong with that, but it's a fact. Honestly, I see more Corvettes than Shelbys on the road. Yes, A Shelby is relatively affordable, but it's still not a 25k car.

To add on top of that as I reread...

Not "everyone who has a bank account" has a Shelby nor are they a dime a dozen. I know a lot of hard working people that will NEVER have the opportunity to own a Shelby that is within 6 years old. Heck, I'm not even sure we can call an 03-04 Cobra "Dime a dozen" at this point. I believe that most Cobras and Shelbys are supplemental cars as well... not many TRUE DD's out there.

Around 4000 produced every year I think?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?990927-GT500-Production-numbers

Last edited:

ramstein

Established Member
He mentioned agile, good handling, and improved interior. Maybe I could understand trading 13-14Gt50 on a C7 (even better interior, handling, agility..etc) but not on a base 15GT, which seems even slower than the older model...:shrug:

Last edited:

impactblue

Established Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415735982.820358.jpgfor me it's kind of a toss up on looks. Can't decide which is best

mavisky

Established Member
I believe that most Cobras and Shelbys are supplemental cars as well... not many TRUE DD's out there.

Move out of that Indiana weather like I did. Loving getting to daily my Shelby year round with no worries at all. Put 8,000 miles on it since I bought it this spring.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm glad to read that the 15 has better features, handling, quality etc.

It would be disappointing if it was the same or worse.

I can't comment on which one is better because that is subjective. I chose a Shelby because I liked the look, rareness, and was SC'd from factory. I don't value handling all that much and I don't mind the interior.

As long as the OP, and others are happy, that's all that matters.

nickf2005

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread