My thoughts after trading my '14 GT500 on a '15 GT

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...it was still the only car I never felt comfortable turning all the nannies off on. I never thought I would say this but the car simply had too much power and not enough chassis to support it.

Another issue was reliability. Supposedly the car had a bullet proof transmission, but mine grenaded one day on a hard 1-2 shift and left me stranded.

The car does indeed have a "power-to-handling" ratio that is a bit excessive. Then again, isn't that the sole mission of the car to begin with?

What broke in the transmission?

There is a qualitative difference that is simply astounding. The S197 GT500 is faster, but IMHO the S550 GT PP is a better car in every other way. I don't consider the switch to be a downgrade at all.

That says a lot coming from someone with plenty of GT500 seat time. I'll keep that in perspective when I look at the '15 from now on.

ArabianOak

Established Member
The car does indeed have a "power-to-handling" ratio that is a bit excessive. Then again, isn't that the sole mission of the car to begin with?

What broke in the transmission?

That says a lot coming from someone with plenty of GT500 seat time. I'll that in perspective when I look at the '15 from now on.

10532538_10152335230146775_238015613385997155_n.jpg

Colleton

Established Member
I respect your decision Colleton and don't disagree with your reasons. I think what gets lost in all of this bantering, is the reason why we have the particular car we have. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN RHYMES AND REASONS!

I have my car because I wanted a Shelby. I don't care if it's just the '12 with 112 less HP than a 13/14. I don't care if it doesn't have the fancy interior the '15 has. I don't care it rides a little rough. I bought it because I've been a Mustang nut all my life and the day I saw Gone in 60 Seconds, I knew I was going to own a car "like" that one day. I have an icon's name on my trunk lid and I'm proud to say I'm a Shelby owner. It doesn't have to be perfect. As long as it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, that's all that matters. I'm not going to nitpick it for what it's not.

That said, I stopped and saw a '15 in person yesterday. SHARP car and love everything about it. Would love to have one. However, I'm not trading my Shelby in to get one.

Trust me, I understand the thrill you get from driving a Shelby. All that raw power, such a blast. When I had the opportunity to let it loose, it always put a smile on my face.

I'm not telling anyone that they should switch, I'd never do that. What I am saying is that I'm extremely impressed with the handling of the new car, and am surprised at how much I'm enjoying the difference.

That says a lot coming from someone with plenty of GT500 seat time. I'll keep that in perspective when I look at the '15 from now on.

Thanks Tob, I appreciate the consideration. We all know that I've been pretty fickle the past several years, chasing a curve that is pretty much impossible to catch.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
lets just clarify, for the amazing giant the GT500 was, it DOES NOT handle better than a PP 15.

feel free to use google. the 15 pulls more G in every category. when comparing a 670hp and 440hp car around a track lap times are deceiving. but by comparing basic handling G you can see that the 15 clearly turns a corner better.

even ford hating Motor Tard has the GT PP out lapping the Boss which solidly out did the GT500 in the bends. a lot of guys miss understand getting around a track faster as handling better, when in reality the only reason was the 670hp. see ZL1 vs GT500 as LS. nearly 100hp between the two and the ZL1 posts nearly same lap times.

or think about this. the 13 GT500 beat the R8 around laguna seca. are you going to tell me the GT500 out handles the R8?

BlownAway03

Established Member
I agree with much of the op's assessment of the Shelby. The power isn't everything. I hated the way my 13 rode and the unpredictability of the rear end. Definitely too much power for the chassis. I picked mine up used (3900mi) and fully loaded minus glass roof for $55k, and was so stoked at first. Buyers remorse set in pretty quick. I sold it after 5 months.

Rosco P

Bitter clinger…
Established Member
The 14 GT500 was a BEAST!!! But like OP, I couldn't take it anymore either. I totally see where you're coming from. I would love to get into a 15. Thanks for the pics.

nickf2005

Established Member
Trust me, I understand the thrill you get from driving a Shelby. All that raw power, such a blast. When I had the opportunity to let it loose, it always put a smile on my face.

I'm not telling anyone that they should switch, I'd never do that. What I am saying is that I'm extremely impressed with the handling of the new car, and am surprised at how much I'm enjoying the difference.

Thanks Tob, I appreciate the consideration. We all know that I've been pretty fickle the past several years, chasing a curve that is pretty much impossible to catch.

I know you were not. I was just pointing out that there are all kinds of reasons that people own the particular car that they have. It's what makes this world go 'round. :beer:

Voltwings

Established Member
lets just clarify, for the amazing giant the GT500 was, it DOES NOT handle better than a PP 15.

feel free to use google. the 15 pulls more G in every category. when comparing a 670hp and 440hp car around a track lap times are deceiving. but by comparing basic handling G you can see that the 15 clearly turns a corner better.

even ford hating Motor Tard has the GT PP out lapping the Boss which solidly out did the GT500 in the bends. a lot of guys miss understand getting around a track faster as handling better, when in reality the only reason was the 670hp. see ZL1 vs GT500 as LS. nearly 100hp between the two and the ZL1 posts nearly same lap times.

or think about this. the 13 GT500 beat the R8 around laguna seca. are you going to tell me the GT500 out handles the R8?

Some very good perspective there.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
The 15 is more refine for handling..I would hope so with the new IRS, but a Shelby can handle with the correct setup. In the end that is what you will do to any car if you drive it with purpose. Set it up for how you want to enjoy it.

Shelby's came setup from factory with a straight line in mind, and some corners. The 15's came setup for ALL Round performance and refinement. The global market called for this, and I think from what I have seen and read about so far, Ford delivered.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sorry, you're basically saying the only real mustang is one with a crappy interior and poor ride? The irritating thing is that argument has popped up several times against the S550, and its a pretty weak argument if you ask me... I bought a mustang because i wanted a mustang, but i also dont feel expecting a decent ride and quality interior.. you know, where you spend all of your time, is not too much to ask as well.

You may as well tell everyone who bothered getting a premium they would have been better off buying a German car since thats apparently not what the mustang is for... At any rate, rant over.

Dont be a drama queen. Dont put words in my mouth. No body here has said that.

I agree. You know it is possible to have both a great performing car with a great interior. I love my terminator but the interior sucks. Now that we have the s550 that is built on a great new platform with a nice interior all of the sudden it's not a mustang. It's great that the mustang has moved away from the rattle box that the fox used to be. This sibling rivalry with the mustang crowd is hilarious.

The theory that a muscle car has to be built like crap is a thing of the past. Like everything else in life, people want it all. Sure you have those meatheads that want to brag to their buddies about straight line performance and the 662 hp under the hood.

You are right, it is possible to have a great performer and a great interior. I believe the 13-14 Shelby delivers. You try to make it sound like the Shelby has the interior of a fox.

Who here has said the S550 is not a mustang? No one here has even complained or said ANYTHING negative about the S550. Lol at the meatheads comment for owning a 662hp car from the factory and caring about straight line performance.

Stop the madness Sir.

So you think the Shelby is an all around better performing car??? How do you come up with that. Remember straight line acceleration is only aspect of performance.

Put a bone stock 13-14 shelby and a bone stock s550 at a road course or at the drag strip and you will see the shelby outperform the s550.

No one here has said that the shelby handles better. What i am saying is that stock for stock the shelby will win over an s550 at the track.

Whether it does it because of extra power or whatever is totally irrelevant to me. Bottom line is that the shelby beats the s550 where it counts.*

I agree with much of the op's assessment of the Shelby. The power isn't everything. I hated the way my 13 rode and the unpredictability of the rear end. Definitely too much power for the chassis. I picked mine up used (3900mi) and fully loaded minus glass roof for $55k, and was so stoked at first. Buyers remorse set in pretty quick. I sold it after 5 months.

I agree, power isnt everything, hence why I drive what I own. Sounds to me like you bought the wrong car for you and missed the whole point of the shelby. At least you upgraded.

The 14 GT500 was a BEAST!!! But like OP, I couldn't take it anymore either. I totally see where you're coming from. I would love to get into a 15. Thanks for the pics.

See reply above.

Brute

Established Member
I respect your decision Colleton and don't disagree with your reasons. I think what gets lost in all of this bantering, is the reason why we have the particular car we have. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN RHYMES AND REASONS!

I have my car because I wanted a Shelby. I don't care if it's just the '12 with 112 less HP than a 13/14. I don't care if it doesn't have the fancy interior the '15 has. I don't care it rides a little rough. I bought it because I've been a Mustang nut all my life and the day I saw Gone in 60 Seconds, I knew I was going to own a car "like" that one day. I have an icon's name on my trunk
lid and I'm proud to say I'm a Shelby owner. It doesn't have to be perfect. As long as it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, that's all that matters. I'm not going to nitpick it for what it's not

That said, I stopped and saw a '15 in person yesterday. SHARP car and love everything about it. Would love to have one. However, I'm not trading my Shelby in to get one.

My sentiments exactly. I love my 2012 GT500 for my own reasons, and it is a keeper with its Griggs suspension and Van's other parts. And I am also glad that everyone seems to be enthusiastic about "upgrading" their Mustangs, whichever direction it may really be.

KINGPINracing

Established Member
Hilarious that people are being told their "subjective opinions" are wrong even when they've owned all the different variants. Thanks op for the informative review. Enjoy it!!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Hilarious that people are being told their "subjective opinions" are wrong even when they've owned all the different variants. Thanks op for the informative review. Enjoy it!!

Please provide statement where owners of all different variants were told their opinion was wrong.

Dont worry, Ill wait...

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
C'mon guys, I have to side with Zyborg here! Sure the S550 is the new "hotness" it's "Sooooooo MUCH BETTER and IMPROVED" Time will only tell after the platform has been out for a year or so. Once I went from a Bullitt to a termi the absolute second it was available and had 3 tranny's 2 rear ends 6 half shafts and a motor in less than 15k miles. I'll never buy the 1st run of a platform ever again!

To say the S550 beats the breaks off of a 13-14 Shelby is just ridiculous in every sense of the word. Interior quality sometimes just because it's "new" doesn't make it better I personally like the dash/cluster/radio layout of the 13-14's much better. We're not talking about 2009's with boring plastic feeling steering wheels.

The S550 is nice all around, but I have 3 major issues with it.

#1. The redesign of the ass end is complete shit, it's worse than a C7 which is terrible. I'm sorry you just can't beat the 13-14 tail lights, period.

#2. IRS- Ford hasn't made an IRS that I've liked to date, i'll take a solid axle any day even on a road course!

#3. The overall brand focus on the front nose of the cars, it's getting silly is that a mustang? a Fusion ? a Focus? a Transit ? a Taurus? I can appreciate European cars BMW and Audi's all having a very similar look. I however don't want that done with Ford :) Before long we'll just have numbers and letters as vehicle models.

Last edited:

KINGPINracing

Established Member
Please provide statement where owners of all different variants were told their opinion was wrong.

Dont worry, Ill wait...

Hahaha this thread is littered with people telling these folks they're wrong and what a downgrade it is. Not rocket science to see it.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I have a '13 shelby and recently test drove a '15 A6 GT. I was very impressed with the S550. Sure the difference in power is night and day, but with a supercharger hands down the '15 would be a better car for what I prefer (drag racing). The '15 interior is so much better, the car looks better, and handles better. The con would be trading in exclusivity of the Shelby for a regular GT. In the end I know I'd regret trading but I can't stop thinking how fun the '15 with a supercharger would be.

Quit being ghey. I traded/trading the SHO on a CTSV coupe A6. You want the offroad downpipes for $300?

nickf2005

Established Member
#3. The overall brand focus on the front nose of the cars, it's getting silly is that a mustang? a Fusion ? a Focus? a Transit ? a Taurus? I can appreciate European cars BMW and Audi's all having a very similar look. I however don't want that done with Ford :) Before long we'll just have numbers and letters as vehicle models.

Why is it OK for an Audi or BMW to look like another class, but not Ford? From head on, I can't tell if it's a 3 or 5 series BMW or an A3 or A6.

That said, I drove by the local dealership, and WITHOUT REALLY PAYING ATTENTION, a car caught my left eye. What did I see? a '15 Mustang and it stood out as a Mustang. No confusion as I went by at 45 MPH. I stopped back in after work to gander. Sweet car.

stangfreak

Established Member
Sounds to me like a couple of guys are trying to justify having to sell their 14 shelby and replace it with a GT.

Nothing wrong with doing the responsible thing economically but lets not kid ourselves, the 15 gt is in no way an upgrade to the 14 Shelby.

As much as I love the new mustang, I am with zyborg.

stangfreak

Established Member
C'mon guys, I have to side with Zyborg here! Sure the S550 is the new "hotness" it's "Sooooooo MUCH BETTER and IMPROVED" Time will only tell after the platform has been out for a year or so. Once I went from a Bullitt to a termi the absolute second it was available and had 3 tranny's 2 rear ends 6 half shafts and a motor in less than 15k miles. I'll never buy the 1st run of a platform ever again!

To say the S550 beats the breaks off of a 13-14 Shelby is just ridiculous in every sense of the word. Interior quality sometimes just because it's "new" doesn't make it better I personally like the dash/cluster/radio layout of the 13-14's much better. We're not talking about 2009's with boring plastic feeling steering wheels.

The S550 is nice all around, but I have 3 major issues with it.

#1. The redesign of the ass end is complete shit, it's worse than a C7 which is terrible. I'm sorry you just can't beat the 13-14 tail lights, period.

#2. IRS- Ford hasn't made an IRS that I've liked to date, i'll take a solid axle any day even on a road course!

Kc, I do agree with you on certain things you said. Styling wise, honestly I saw the 15 in person and it's a great looking car. The rear looks great IMO.

I know certain shops that never bought a 11 to 14 mustang bc they didn't like the car and hated the rear very much. For shops to not have a shop car isn't really a good thing. It's good for business to have one. When mustang magic built snake bite it went viral and that shop was packed with 03 04 cobras. $$$$$$$. Get it? So I guess we all have our own opinion on what's nice looking.

I would take a new s550 over your car any day of the week. I'm not being a jerk. Just saying. No harm.

stangfreak

Established Member
The older cayote mustangs already look old . Guess they don't have a timeless look. Hehe

Users who are viewing this thread