My thoughts after trading my '14 GT500 on a '15 GT

Colleton

Established Member
I'd had enough with the '14. The car just didn't come alive at normal driving speeds (geared for top end speed), felt like a huge boat most of the time (daily highway commute) and it just wasn't worth the expense any longer to me. JMO, but my old '11 GT500 was more fun to drive day to day than the '14 was. I do regret selling that one.

Besides, I've always wanted a GT and never had one, so with the numerous improvements with the new car I decided to take the plunge.

Got a great deal with X-Plan pricing on the GT and a GREAT trade-in on the Shelby. Couldn't be happier about the deal.

Some pics:
ZOE_0011_8rpjeyet8s.jpg

ZOE_0015_9mq6ahf716.jpg

ZOE_0013_1mcbok9av5.jpg

ZOE_0014_1y6r0nx0mr.jpg

Another at the monthly Show & Shine this past weekend. Pay no attention to the dufus beside the car
20141101_1600331_snmcga7yzo.jpg

My thoughts so far:

Aside from torque and HP, which the Shelby had in spades, this car beats my '14 GT500 like a rented mule. I am actually shocked that the driving experience is so much better. Much nicer interior, better steering and handling, better ride quality, better FEEL when driving. The car feels smaller and more agile.

I bought the car mostly for the nicer interior and feature updates. I had hoped that the IRS and suspension improvements would make a nice difference, but I honestly didn't expect to see all that much of an improvement. I was wrong. This car handles and drives like a dream. Very confidence inspiring, and I love driving this car. No more rear end jumping around when hitting a bump or on a rough road when cornering. It is smooth and under control all the time. Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon period right now, but this is a very well put together car and is a HUGE step forward from the previous model.

I know I'm going to catch crap for switching cars (again), esp. when going "backwards" like this, but I can deal with that. IMHO, the S550 is superior to the S197 in every way and if you haven't driven one yet you're in for a treat. The '15 GT is a super nice car, Ford did a great job, IMHO.

Not bashing the GT500 at all, as I've owned several and for the most part have loved them all. It was just time for a change. I've given up the huge torque and HP, but with the new car I've gained in every other way.

bpmurr

Established Member
Couldn't agree with you more. I traded my 14 GT500 for a 15 GT PP and love it. I know this is SVT Performance and most will think we're nuts but seat time in a S550 will sell most. Sure it doesn't have the monster straight line power but it does everything else better. Interior, handling, seating position/comfort, etc.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Congrats! If you end up missing the power, just wait a little bit for the tuning to catch up some and throw a blower on there. In the meantime, enjoy.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds to me like a couple of guys are trying to justify having to sell their 14 shelby and replace it with a GT.

Nothing wrong with doing the responsible thing economically but lets not kid ourselves, the 15 gt is in no way an upgrade to the 14 Shelby.

dom418

Established Member
Speaking with guys who have owned multiple stangs including the 13/14, most say the same as you. Great straight line performer but....yes the 15 doesn't have the exclusivity of the Shelby but it is a better platform overall. Power adders will be plenty once the aftermarket scene catches up.

Last edited:

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
For everything but power it is though. Looks is subjective of course. Better interior, handling, ride, gas mileage, and affordability right? It of course doesn't have the Shelby badge but otherwise it's just power.

impactblue

Established Member
I'll agree. The 15 is greater in every way except speed and the wear I already have on my leather seats after only 70 miles fml. But the car is a better car. Just lacks power

04svtsnke

Established Member
I may be the odd one .
I sold my 2011 GT500 in anticipation of a 15 GT-see my thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...Base-GT-3-days-old-and-buyers-remorse-already!!
I got a base and I regret it but I am sure now If I had got the PP/premium I would feel better :(

You made poor decisions in buying your car and if you had bought the original vehichle you had planned to purchase I think you'd be happy right now. I'm sorry you're feeling this way but why should anyone have pity on you? You never impulse buy.

Turbosixx

Established Member
I have a '13 shelby and recently test drove a '15 A6 GT. I was very impressed with the S550. Sure the difference in power is night and day, but with a supercharger hands down the '15 would be a better car for what I prefer (drag racing). The '15 interior is so much better, the car looks better, and handles better. The con would be trading in exclusivity of the Shelby for a regular GT. In the end I know I'd regret trading but I can't stop thinking how fun the '15 with a supercharger would be.

Last edited:

04nccobra

Established Member
I'd had enough with the '14. The car just didn't come alive at normal driving speeds (geared for top end speed), felt like a huge boat most of the time (daily highway commute) and it just wasn't worth the expense any longer to me. JMO, but my old '11 GT500 was more fun to drive day to day than the '14 was. I do regret selling that one.

Besides, I've always wanted a GT and never had one, so with the numerous improvements with the new car I decided to take the plunge.

Got a great deal with X-Plan pricing on the GT and a GREAT trade-in on the Shelby. Couldn't be happier about the deal.

Some pics:
http://chattypics.com/files/ZOE_0011_8rpjeyet8s.jpg
http://chattypics.com/files/ZOE_0015_9mq6ahf716.jpg
http://chattypics.com/files/ZOE_0013_1mcbok9av5.jpg
http://chattypics.com/files/ZOE_0014_1y6r0nx0mr.jpg

Another at the monthly Show & Shine this past weekend. Pay no attention to the dufus beside the car
http://chattypics.com/files/20141101_1600331_snmcga7yzo.jpg

My thoughts so far:

Aside from torque and HP, which the Shelby had in spades, this car beats my '14 GT500 like a rented mule. I am actually shocked that the driving experience is so much better. Much nicer interior, better steering and handling, better ride quality, better FEEL when driving. The car feels smaller and more agile.

I bought the car mostly for the nicer interior and feature updates. I had hoped that the IRS and suspension improvements would make a nice difference, but I honestly didn't expect to see all that much of an improvement. I was wrong. This car handles and drives like a dream. Very confidence inspiring, and I love driving this car. No more rear end jumping around when hitting a bump or on a rough road when cornering. It is smooth and under control all the time. Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon period right now, but this is a very well put together car and is a HUGE step forward from the previous model.

I know I'm going to catch crap for switching cars (again), esp. when going "backwards" like this, but I can deal with that. IMHO, the S550 is superior to the S197 in every way and if you haven't driven one yet you're in for a treat. The '15 GT is a super nice car, Ford did a great job, IMHO.

Not bashing the GT500 at all, as I've owned several and for the most part have loved them all. It was just time for a change. I've given up the huge torque and HP, but with the new car I've gained in every other way.

My guess is once the new car buying excitement wears off you will realize the mistake you made. I went through a similar deal when I sold my 12 SRT8 392 and purchased a 12-GT, the GT was great for about a month, then I quickly realized that I really shouldn't have done it. You had the most powerful and respected mustang ever made, and now you are in a 13-second GT that you will soon see at every intersection. You can enjoy the attention now as there aren't many on the streets yet but quickly it will loose it's excitement. IMO better seats or 662-hp, no brainer.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I did the same thing as you OP...owned a Boss and several 5.0's before the 15.

No regrets at all...matter of fact ford should have called this car the Mustang M3, not GT. Just hit 1000 miles on mine yesterday and it is by FAR the best mustang I have ever owned by a long shot.

Don't let the haters fool themselves. All the reviews from the big car mags have said the same thing as you.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

No regrets at all...matter of fact ford should have called this car the Mustang M3, not GT. Just hit 1000 miles on mine yesterday and it is by FAR the best mustang I have ever owned by a long shot.

Don't let the haters fool themselves. All the reviews from the big car mags have said the same thing as you.

Your point is mute as you didnt go from the best mustang ever produced (13-14 gt500) to an s550. Dont you dare compare your past 5.0s or even boss to the shelby man. Ill punch you in your throat (jk).

bpmurr

Established Member
Your point is mute as you didnt go from the best mustang ever produced (13-14 gt500) to an s550. Dont you dare compare your past 5.0s or even boss to the shelby man. Ill punch you in your throat (jk).

I'm pretty sure he owned a Boss and GT500 at one point.

impactblue

Established Member

The car feels like a luxury car. Resembles the m3 a lot. The smoothness. Car is ridiculously quiet in the cabin and the feel of the materials is high quality

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

You're confusing "fastest" with "best". The Shelby is a monster, but the S550 is by far the better all around car. The only thing it lacks is power, for now. It has the better chassis, suspension, engine, interior, etc. Really, the only thing that I think I'd swap from the Shelby to the GT is the TR6060.

Users who are viewing this thread