My TT build thread

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well we trailered the car down to Chesapeake to have Ed put a break in tune on the car. He said all the sensors looked great and he had it drivable in less than 30 minutes. I drove the car back from Chesapeake to Gloucester putting about 60 miles on the car. When we got back, it was still smoking and the mufflers had oil dripping out of the tips. So we took the exhaust off of the down pipes and cleaned it out as best we could. We then drove the car with open down pipes for about 10 miles and it still kept smoking. We then took the feed lines off the turbos and added oil flow restrictors to lower the pressure feeding the turbos. We are hoping that it is just the built motor with the Melling pump was just too much pressure for the turbo seals. Once we did that we drove it again with open down pipes and and it seemed to clear up. So we put the rest of the exhaust back on, and it started smoking again a little. Hopefully it is just residue left in the back half of the exhaust and it burns off tomorrow. It's starting to get pretty annoying.

If it does clear up, we should get it tuned on Saturday.

By the way, that face plated tranny is definitely gonna take some getting used to! haha

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Keep a sharp eye on your oil dipstick. I blew a turbo seal a while back, no fun :(

spray175

Established Member
Well we trailered the car down to Chesapeake to have Ed put a break in tune on the car. He said all the sensors looked great and he had it drivable in less than 30 minutes. I drove the car back from Chesapeake to Gloucester putting about 60 miles on the car. When we got back, it was still smoking and the mufflers had oil dripping out of the tips. So we took the exhaust off of the down pipes and cleaned it out as best we could. We then drove the car with open down pipes for about 10 miles and it still kept smoking. We then took the feed lines off the turbos and added oil flow restrictors to lower the pressure feeding the turbos. We are hoping that it is just the built motor with the Melling pump was just too much pressure for the turbo seals. Once we did that we drove it again with open down pipes and and it seemed to clear up. So we put the rest of the exhaust back on, and it started smoking again a little. Hopefully it is just residue left in the back half of the exhaust and it burns off tomorrow. It's starting to get pretty annoying.

If it does clear up, we should get it tuned on Saturday.

By the way, that face plated tranny is definitely gonna take some getting used to! haha

My car smoked pretty bad after acceleration when I first got it back. Once we put a jegs catch can with breather on it, it all cleared up. Never had oil dripping out of my pipes though. Good to hear you got the tune and everything.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
My car smoked pretty bad after acceleration when I first got it back. Once we put a jegs catch can with breather on it, it all cleared up. Never had oil dripping out of my pipes though. Good to hear you got the tune and everything.

When I blew the seal I drove the car for about 15 minutes as the smoking got worse and worse. When I finally got the car towed home the rear bumper was coated in oil that had been spurting out of my tailpipes.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I have breathers on both valve covers right now. So It shouldn't be from that.
When I blew the seal I drove the car for about 15 minutes as the smoking got worse and worse. When I finally got the car towed home the rear bumper was coated in oil that had been spurting out of my tailpipes.

I'm guessing the seals haven't had a chance to seal yet since the pressure has been so high to them. Hopefully now that we put the restricors in they will seal up. That's the theory anyway. With both open down pipes, the smoke was coming evenly from both sides.

TRBO VNM

did the kit come with restrictors? when I was putting brandon's kit on, hellion sent me some restrictors for his and the other twin kits I sold. john mentioned they were going to start including them in the kit. I don't recall the size though, but would think you need to go smaller since you have the melling on there.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
did the kit come with restrictors? when I was putting brandon's kit on, hellion sent me some restrictors for his and the other twin kits I sold. john mentioned they were going to start including them in the kit. I don't recall the size though, but would think you need to go smaller since you have the melling on there.

No, my kit didn't come with them. We put a set of NX 20's in that Mauro had from a previous kit. Mauro actually talked to John this morning and he said the 20's should be fine, and that the turbos really need a load to seal, but I can't really get into boost til I get tuned on Saturday, so hopefully they will seal up after that. We are also gonna make sure the return pump is drawing a vacuum tonight too.
John also said they don't ship them with the kits anymore. I guess they are changing the kits around some more too.

TRBO VNM

ok, gotcha. yeah, they are changing some things so the oil tank is not needed. I think after they did some testing with the gt500 that was successful they are trying to do something similar with the other twin kit.

this is why I tell people to break in the motors prior to doing a full build all at once. because right now you don't know for sure if it is the motor or something with the kit.

my buddy Eric (snakecharmer), when he brought his car to me he had a fresh motor that had the miles on it for break-in already and he wanted me to drive it around a little more to put more miles on before the turbo kit went on. the motor smoked a little and never really went away. so we knew it was the motor and not the kit. turned out to be a bad batch of rings.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
ok, gotcha. yeah, they are changing some things so the oil tank is not needed. I think after they did some testing with the gt500 that was successful they are trying to do something similar with the other twin kit.

this is why I tell people to break in the motors prior to doing a full build all at once. because right now you don't know for sure if it is the motor or something with the kit.

my buddy Eric (snakecharmer), when he brought his car to me he had a fresh motor that had the miles on it for break-in already and he wanted me to drive it around a little more to put more miles on before the turbo kit went on. the motor smoked a little and never really went away. so we knew it was the motor and not the kit. turned out to be a bad batch of rings.

I got a bad set of rings once. PISSED me off, having to tear an engine back down just for that sucks.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member

YA, we are probably gonna do a leakdown just because, but since there is oil in the cold side too, it seems to be pointing to the turbos causing it, but knowing my luck, it could be both! haha

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
We took the turbos off again last night, and they seem to be doing ok now. Put it all back together, made sure the return pump was drawing a vacuum, and then drove the car some more. I don't know if the rings just won't seat or what, but the car is still smoking like a champ. Mauro is gonna do a leak down today and see how that looks. This is getting pretty annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread