NA sucks.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
I'm extremely happy with how my car performs, hanging with 2004 WRX STI's FTW.

But overall judging from the characteristics of the engine ( it's like a European engine in smoothness ) a turbo/supercharger should feel right at home.

my wrx will smoke my cobra. then again my wrx puts down more power than a stage 2 tuned sti.

a stock sti vs stock cobra they are pretty close.

this thread is so true. i need a blower.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
a mod motor could do it but would need to turn 9500rpm. 4.6l and 6800rpm, n/a, is not a recipe for huge power in a 281 cubic inch engine unless you plan on turning huge rpm to make up for the size of the engine.

i do believe ive seen like _one_or_two_ 400whp n/a Cobras on this board but i dont even remember who they were. found them searching thru old threads.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I told myself time and time again, if this motor blows up, I'm doing a solid roller 427 AL Dart windsor, big heads, big cam, big carb, high compression motor next.. Make 600rwhp N/A, and I can pull it apart in under 4hrs lol. And if I feel froggy I'll spray it with a 150shot.. lol

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
OP is slow because he is using a tired old engine with a CR designed for boost. Fail combo fails.

I should be getting around 400 smooth, sustainable NA RWHP when my 01 comes back from the shop next week with a 5.0. Could have got more power if I went FI, but the point was something uniquely mine with the sound and powerband of NA and never having to worry about heat soak.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
OP is slow because he is using a tired old engine with a CR designed for boost. Fail combo fails.

I should be getting around 400 smooth, sustainable NA RWHP when my 01 comes back from the shop next week with a 5.0. Could have got more power if I went FI, but the point was something uniquely mine with the sound and powerband of NA and never having to worry about heat soak.

Amen. I plan on doing the same thing, with a healthy shot of nitrous on top for when I need it. :beer:

a mod motor could do it but would need to turn 9500rpm. 4.6l and 6800rpm, n/a, is not a recipe for huge power in a 281 cubic inch engine unless you plan on turning huge rpm to make up for the size of the engine.

i do believe ive seen like _one_or_two_ 400whp n/a Cobras on this board but i dont even remember who they were. found them searching thru old threads.

You can make 350-380 rwhp on a stock C-headed motor with only exhaust, cams, and modified intake manifold. If you have high compression and rev it a little higher I think 400 rwhp is doable. If you have a stroker or big bore or big bore stroker you can make a bunch more.

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
+1 dkehzrd... sorry PSUCOBRA96. I build both platforms and I've already chimed in my support of the mod motor here in this thread, but comparing them as NA build candidates is not very helpful. Those of us grounded in reality acknowledge that disparity, love our Fords, love the quality we get from Blue Oval, and are in it for more than just bench racing blocks side by virtual side.

Last edited:

SVTContique

Op wanna sell your blower?

Already sold it, sorry.

I got just under 400whp and had it for about 4 years, completely fine and problem free. Never had heatsoak either because i was intercooled.

I would take a boosted 500whp car over an NA 500whp car because i like the way the power comes on, and i think its just easier overall to do it that way. Building a mod motor for big power NA is a huge PITA, building it for big power with a single turbo, not so bad.

dkehzrd

Id rather be drifting
Established Member
That was the most incomplete dyno sheet I've ever seen in my life. I can draw a line on a piece of paper too.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Id say the 8 second pass at 170mph at 3100lbs, stock suspension and only a 10.5" tire will justify their "line on a paper"

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
I got just under 400whp and had it for about 4 years, completely fine and problem free. Never had heatsoak either because i was intercooled.

I would take a boosted 500whp car over an NA 500whp car because i like the way the power comes on, and i think its just easier overall to do it that way. Building a mod motor for big power NA is a huge PITA, building it for big power with a single turbo, not so bad.

But you're not talking about your power when you had it FI'ed. You said NA sucks because you took your blower off of your motor and tried running NA even though your tired old block has internals optimized for boost. Then you start spouting off about 500HP cars when everyone else is talking about 400HP cars. Lastly, your intercooler doesn't fix heat soak from the kind of driving I am talking about. You just don't do that kind of driving.

I'm thinking maybe you don't understand what low compression ratios are and why they make your motor slow now that you are not running a blower.

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
There's a lot of dumb comments in this thread so I will sum it up like this: Losing 100 whp would suck in any vehicle n/a or fi but to say N/A sucks is ignorant.

Just remember, "You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency."

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
1064hp All Motor LSX - Engine Dyno - YouTube

If you find coyote motor doing this I will glady delete my account here.

Way to compare apples to oranges haus. The new coyote in the 11-13 GT is pretty comparable to the LS3 in the Camaro power wise. A worked over 5.0 can make 500rwhp, and thats out of 302 cubic inches. Its true there are more options out there n/a wise to make big power with the LSX engines in all out race applications but for street applications like what the OP is using his car for the 5.0 is a solid performer.

Users who are viewing this thread