NA sucks.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
But you're not talking about your power when you had it FI'ed. You said NA sucks because you took your blower off of your motor and tried running NA even though your tired old block has internals optimized for boost. Then you start spouting off about 500HP cars when everyone else is talking about 400HP cars. Lastly, your intercooler doesn't fix heat soak from the kind of driving I am talking about. You just don't do that kind of driving.

I'm thinking maybe you don't understand what low compression ratios are and why they make your motor slow now that you are not running a blower.

im pretty sure he has stock motor so no low compression. just no boost. there had to be about a 100whp difference which is alot. expecially after being used to the blower

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
FWIW, cubic inch for cubic inch( or at least keeping it close) there still hasn't been ANY LSX based motor that made as much as a mod motor..... N/A. Don't worry I checked and ask the chronies on ls1tech to provide me with even 1 example. They couldn't.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ya obviously. I'm just bring a Dick since I don't come on a Ford forum to hear Chevy talk.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I'll be the first to admit, the modulars aren't quite as capable as the LS series when it comes to NA power.... but they are no where near being incapable of making tremendous power like most people assume.

5.4 has made over 700HP

4.6 I know has made 500-550HP NA [that was actually at only 11:1 compression, it was for a boosted car]

Pretty damn impressive for a car with only 281ci to play with.

There is a replacement for displacement... it's called technology and efficiency.

Modular 4Vs were only the beginning... coyote 5.0s are doing a damn good job at proving this so.

Last edited:

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
NA fun is going to take cubes and compression. Nothing a boss block with a stroker crank, basic internals and some 11.5: 1 -12: 1 compression pistons couldn't fix.... hell add cams and shorten the runner a couple inches and really hold on.

These motors were crippled from the factory. They need cubes and compression. The blower just overshadows the inefficiency of the engine. Throw a blower on a high compression stroker as I recommended above (5.3 with 12: 1 etc) with e85 and you'll really have fun.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
I'll be the first to admit, the modulars aren't quite as capable as the LS series when it comes to NA power.... but they are no where near being incapable of making tremendous power like most people assume.

5.4 has made over 700HP

4.6 I know has made 500-550HP NA [that was actually at only 11:1 compression, it was for a boosted car]
Pretty damn impressive for a car with only 281ci to play with.

There is a replacement for displacement... it's called technology and efficiency.

Modular 4Vs were only the beginning... coyote 5.0s are doing a damn good job at proving this so.
Whats the specs on that one? Flywheel or to the wheels?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
You can make 350-380 rwhp on a stock C-headed motor with only exhaust, cams, and modified intake manifold. If you have high compression and rev it a little higher I think 400 rwhp is doable. If you have a stroker or big bore or big bore stroker you can make a bunch more.

i agree. ive not seen it done but thats easily attainable.

also, building an n/a motor would mean to me, going to at least 11:1 CR. that should be pretty easy considering the efficiency of the heads, even the B heads. both heads have very little need for tons of advance. the extra 1.2 points of CR would help out a lot. getting a set of cams to take advantage of that and then turning lotsa rpm would get a LOT of power.

i didnt mean to imply that you had to turn high rpm for 400whp. it _IS_ difficult on a stock engine yes, but not impossible.

if/when i ever decide to do anything to my car, i will keep it simple and use a centri, shooting for 400-425whp and DD it. the amt spent on a vortech kit would be less money and more importantly, less headache, than building it n/a to 400-425whp.

i believe, and it seems to have been proven time again that the mod motors are small engines with great heads.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
also, wanted to add that i think a lot of people dont get just how small the 4.6 really is and what it means to give up 70+ cubic inches to a larger engine. thats a LOOOOOOOT of torque and power to overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread