NASA March 28-29 @ VIR

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Rob, I was watching Thunder races from the balcony over the concession stand, and I did notice you were driving slower than you should. I even mentioned to my friend that you might have something wrong with your car.
Glad to hear it wasn't a problem. Brown car syndrome, I like that. Guess I should have stayed on my Toyo's and not put on the R1s. :shrug:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I have only a little experience at VIR. 25 laps maybe. I have spun there in NASCAR before. I have not found a comfort zone there yet and its right in between shifts for me aswell. I am still trying to find the right gear and the right line in there.

So, since I was driving my Mustang 45th show car(see the 05 car in the Steeda Compound at Barber) I was pretty careful in that particular spot. From NASCAR to South Bend I ran about as hard as I could.

Since I could not pass the guy in front of me, I used the straight from South Bend to Oak Tree to let the racers pass me and gave up the line after the back straight as well. Then I would run as hard as I could down from Roller Coaster to T1 where I gave the line to racers.

That would always let the AI guy in front of me get free by a good stretch and then I would run him down in half a lap or so.

It was fun. I just wanted to get enough laps on the R to be sure it was right for Barber. I was so relaxed that I realized that I never really matted the gas pedal. I'd put it down 75-80%. I realized it and mashed the gas hard out of Oak Tree which is 2nd gear in the Cobra R. Snapped my head back. I thought, yea, I havent felt that all day. Just cruizin.

After Mustang 45th, I will be racing at Roebling Road in an SCCA race. I think the lap times will be better there.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Rob, I looked for you as I strolled throught the paddock, but never saw you. Guess I'll meet you another day.

I only drove 1 of 3 sessions on Saturday because of the rain. I do not have rain tires and the Hoosiers do not like wet asphalt. Because, of this my white Terminator went home cleaner than it ever has from the track.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
my paddock, if you saw it, is not one you just tend to hang out in. i am an open trailer guy and dont bring a lot of gear. I may try a garage next time.

David Hester

Established Member
Wait a minute, Rob. You mean that tractor trailer rig you were paddocked next to at VIR last fall wasn't yours!?!?!?!?!?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
LOL...NO!!! That belonged to the guy that was servicing the radical. My friend/enduro co-driver racing the radical was paying for him. I was just paddocked next to them.

I don't even have an enclosed trailer.

David Hester

Established Member
:lol1:
I was wondering, Damn, where does this guy get his racing money!?!?!?!?!??! Nice rig BTW.
Doesn't look like much of anyone showed up at Kershaw.
See you in Birmingham.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Looked like all the guys that ran at kershaw were tube frame guys. I hate that. 3 mustangs, one firebird and 29 stock cars. ugh

David Hester

Established Member
Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I am somewhat amazed that those guys want to race at CMP. Honestly one of my main gripes about the SCCA is that run groups. I run an AS like car and I am forced to race with tube frame cars on one hand while being told I am not welcome in the ECR because my car is too heavy and too fast.

Either I should be allowed to run ECR's or should not be forced to race with tube frame cars.

Users who are viewing this thread