Need a new shifter

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
I searched and still have questions...I miss third when I'm on it and I need to find a cure. Considering all the shifters (TriAx, Pro 5.0, MGW...) is there really a difference between them? From what I see they all are an improvment over stock, but are any better than others...considering install issues and performance.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Go with either Pro 5.0 or Steeda Tri-ax. Do a search on either of those and you will find several threads on the subject. They are very easy to install and only take about 30 minutes to do it your self. All you need is a socket wrench and some RTV Silicone sealant. There are several how-to articles with pictures of the install. I chose to go with the Pro 5.0 with MGW handle. I've tried the Steeda Triax and it's also a very good product. I went with Pro 5.0 over Triax just because I had the Pro 5.0 on my 95 GT and I really loved it.

I swapped the shifter out the first week that I had the car. It's a must for these cars. Good luck with whatever you choose.

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
What about using the MGW shifter handle with the stock shifter? I noticed that when I shift hard (especially going third) I twist the shift knob just a little bit clockwise.

mosconiac

Established Member
3rd gear is easy to miss if you "guide" the shifter.

The fool-proof way to hit 3rd every time (with or without an aftermarket shifter) is to push the shifter straight forward from second with an open palm. The open palm is critical.

That is, do not try to guide it towards 3rd...allow the shifter to provide the sideways movement. It feels as if you are pushing straight into 1st, but trust me, the shifter (even the stocker) has sufficient "springiness" to get it over there...quickly.

I read of this technique on this board and with faith I tried. I've not missed 3rd since. I do hold the clutch in for a fraction of a second more though, just to make sure.

BTW, I went for a Tri-Ax with an MGW Ltd handle and Hurst classic white shift knob. :)

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Just finished putting in my Tri-Ax yesterday. Noticed a BIG difference during the test drive. Never missed a shift, while I frequently did with the stock shifter. It is a bit noiser though; still might add some rubber.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Will any T56 shifter work? My friend with a Z06 has a real nice short throw in his Z, so I wanted to see if that would work in the Cobra

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by El_Diablo
Will any T56 shifter work? My friend with a Z06 has a real nice short throw in his Z, so I wanted to see if that would work in the Cobra

the Z06 has a different shift pattern. i would check with the manufacture of the shifter.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
3rd gear is easy to miss if you "guide" the shifter.

The fool-proof way to hit 3rd every time (with or without an aftermarket shifter) is to push the shifter straight forward from second with an open palm. The open palm is critical.

That is, do not try to guide it towards 3rd...allow the shifter to provide the sideways movement. It feels as if you are pushing straight into 1st, but trust me, the shifter (even the stocker) has sufficient "springiness" to get it over there...quickly.

I read of this technique on this board and with faith I tried. I've not missed 3rd since. I do hold the clutch in for a fraction of a second more though, just to make sure.

BTW, I went for a Tri-Ax with an MGW Ltd handle and Hurst classic white shift knob. :)
Sweet write-up mosconiac. Above all, trust the shifter.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by El_Diablo
Are you sure, arent all T56s the same pattern? I will check to see...

i know on a past thread there was info on this, it may of been the viper, but i would still check.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Either is an improvement over stock. I have tried both - the Tri-Ax has better shift action (stronger spring and centering mechinism) but noisier. The Pro 5.0 is quieter, but on a downshift from 6th to 3rd, I have to wiggle a bit to center it - NOT GOOD IN A RACE...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had installed a Tri-Ax with MGW handle and then pulled it because it was too noisy. I felt at the time that the stock shifter was sufficient. That is, until I started to add on the mods. Then after a couple of missed shifts (down to 3rd mainly) I decided I had had enough of the stock shifter. Just received my new Tri-Ax a couple of days ago. This time it's a keeper!

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
When I first installed my pro-5.0, I didn't care much for the noise or the super-ratchety feeling. I ended up taking the black rubber piece (noise/vibration dampener) off of the stock shifter, cutting off the center hole nipples, and then installed it between the shifter handle on the 5.0. A little lock tight on the bolts, and viola! It feels not so ratchy and doesn't transfer a hole lot of vibration up the handle.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
You will continue to miss shifts until you ensure that the clutch is fully disengaged from the flywheel. In other words the self adjusting mechanism under the dash doesn't like the kick you give the clutch pedal in fury when your racing. If your like me the addition of the Pro-5.0 was great during the test drives but pull next to a vette and the tone of your shifting changes whether you know it or not. One good swift kick and the clutch engagement is near the floor, not near the top where you need it to avoid grinding. The only cure is to eliminate the self adjusting plastic clutch quadrant with a manuall adjustable version that ensure it can't "un ratchet". Just my .02.

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread