Need a new shifter

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I agree,

I have the Tri-Ax and think it is a lot better than its "copy" from UPR...Its also true what mosconiac said about shifting into third with an open palm...I've tried many techniques, and this by far is the most consistent way to not miss third gear...

-pete

:coolman:

Kal

Established Member
I use the UPR w/ MGW handle and love it! I also agree with the open palm 3rd gear shifts. NO problems hitting 3rd.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Well I went through this same debate less than a year ago when I was trying to find a shifter for 2000GT. I decided to go with the Pro 5.0 and loved it.
Now I want to try the Triax on my Cobra. I should be getting it in a few weeks. If you are still looking for one I will let you know what I feel like the differences are in the two shifters.

Pyro

Established Member
I went with the Pro 5.0/MGW handle combo. Works great ezpecially with the MGW rubber piece. It's much quieter than the Pro 5.0 alone. I haven't tried the Triax so no comment there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the tips about clutch engagement and open palm shifting to 3rd. Taking them into consideration, the stock shifter just doesn't come close to the Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax based on my experience with the stocker and Tri-Ax. I'll live with a bit more noise transmission to get more solid shifting gear to gear.
:burnout:

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
You will continue to miss shifts until you ensure that the clutch is fully disengaged from the flywheel. In other words the self adjusting mechanism under the dash doesn't like the kick you give the clutch pedal in fury when your racing. If your like me the addition of the Pro-5.0 was great during the test drives but pull next to a vette and the tone of your shifting changes whether you know it or not. One good swift kick and the clutch engagement is near the floor, not near the top where you need it to avoid grinding. The only cure is to eliminate the self adjusting plastic clutch quadrant with a manuall adjustable version that ensure it can't "un ratchet". Just my .02.

Jerry
Jerry
Thanks for the info...now how do I "fix that?" I think the tri ax seems to get a more positive review overall. The only negative I hear is the noise...and I don't mind that at all. I also need to practice the open palm shift more because I know I'm wring the hell out of the shift knob and driving the clutch through the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread