Need advice.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Our next King Of The Hill is going to be a big one!
This is from the Dalaware website

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JULY 3, 2007

By: John Houghton

$1,000.00 TO WIN THRONE KINGS OF THE HILL SPECTATOR RACE

DELAWARE SPEEDWAY HELPS TAKE STREET RACING

FROM THE STREETS TO THE TRACK

Delaware Speedway is proud to announce, with the support of local company Huron Produce, that the upcoming Throne Kings of the Hill spectators race on Friday, July 13th will be the first ever $1,000.00 to win King of the Hill event.

The message is clear: the streets are not for racing, but race tracks are.

The maximum number of cars allowed is being increased for the event from 40 cars to 50 cars to accommodate the potential increased participation.

Vehicles participating in the event must be street legal, street driven, licensed and insured vehicles and have DOT tires."

There will be some real fast cars and I think I will need all the help I can get.
Question:
Do I leave the susp setup alone as I've come to learn how to drive the Cobra fast the way it is or do I change stuff like lower the left ride height and run max camber RF with positive camber LF?
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Venom525RWHP said:

You need a TOTALLY different set-up for an oval. :read:

Be prepared for a lot more body damage than the $1,000.00 prize money with a bunch of throttle jocking cowboys trying to win first place. If you have a hooptie with a big motor then by all means, go for it!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok, I watched that and from what I saw, I'd have no problem with that! :-D Is that to determine starting position? A sort of qualifying?

If it was me, racing with a group of cars on track, I'd make sure I was in a hooptie! That's just me though!

Ovals just seem so boring to me now once you've been on real World class race tracks!? :shrug:

FWIW

sleepless

Established Member
My advice: What did you learn last time? Does the car need anything to be faster? Go with that; don't go with what "theoretically might work".

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Sweet!!! That actually looks like alot of fun, a winner takes all drag race on an oval of sorts. I like it, do you have any more video of that? Did you win last year?

So is it single elimination, can you buy back in? I would think even the Z06 would fall to you as long as it isnt modded engine wise.

Oh yeah almost forgot "give em hell and good luck!!"

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Thanks guys and yes I won 5 already!
This can never replace a track like Mosport, but it is only a 20min drive and I get to RACE in front of a real race crowd. The cheers and the sound of the blower makes me want to go back for more every chance I get!

rules,
Drivers face off in one on one elimination drag races from a standing start around the 1/2-mile track in street legal vehicles. Last car left on the track is "King Of The Hill"!

sleepless,
That is exactly what I mean! I KNOW the car works well and I know can drive it comfortably at the limit, but everyone wants me to change the setup. I have friends running in the Dalaware Trucks and in the Kendall Street Stocks who wants to get under the Cobra and help out! :shrug:

I am having sleepless nights over this!:??: :cuss:

Last edited:

sleepless

Established Member
Clearly, only people with experience on an oval will be able to help you make the right decisions. Since you've already won 5 times, maybe it's time to go for broke and try something new :)

More seriously, what I was trying to ask earlier is "how well did the car grip in the past at this event"?

One thing I'd be very careful with is the effects any suspension changes would have on your standing start traction. While it makes a lot of sense to opimize a race car for a full oval race, you have to consider carefully what such a setup might do to that standing start, something oval racers don't normally have to worry about.

So, just guessing, you could consider 0 camber in the inside rear and more camber on the outside rear. The front you could setup to optimize for the corners, but, in balance with the rear; so may be a little positive camber in the inside front.

As far as lowering one side of the car, I don't know what that would do to your standing start traction; seems a bit risky to me.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I hate you:-D ... you have some good vidoes. Keep them coming. What haven't you done in the cobra. You are doing exactly what ford built the cobra's for, wether it be drag racing, open tracking, (drifting I don't think ford intended on them drifting) and now ovals. Wish there were more tracks around here so do ovals and drifting. Keep up the good work.:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Venom525RWHP said:
rules,
Drivers face off in one on one elimination drag races from a standing start around the 1/2-mile track in street legal vehicles. Last car left on the track is "King Of The Hill"!

That's a hell of a lot better than 30 or 40 guys slugging it out in a race for a grand! :coolman: I'd be cool with that!

On your left front you're probably going to want to go to some positive camber and even the same thing in your left rear to a lesser degree. However it might be a pain switching back and forth between events though? It appears you're doing quite well as it is?!!? :-D

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
sleepless said:
Clearly, only people with experience on an oval will be able to help you make the right decisions. Since you've already won 5 times, maybe it's time to go for broke and try something new :)

More seriously, what I was trying to ask earlier is "how well did the car grip in the past at this event"?

One thing I'd be very careful with is the effects any suspension changes would have on your standing start traction. While it makes a lot of sense to opimize a race car for a full oval race, you have to consider carefully what such a setup might do to that standing start, something oval racers don't normally have to worry about.

So, just guessing, you could consider 0 camber in the inside rear and more camber on the outside rear. The front you could setup to optimize for the corners, but, in balance with the rear; so may be a little positive camber in the inside front.

As far as lowering one side of the car, I don't know what that would do to your standing start traction; seems a bit risky to me.

Last time out I was running on a set of 2yr old GAC's, so they were pretty bad on the standing stars. This Friday I have a set of last yrs RA1's with the center wearbars left, hopefully they will be sticky enough for the 300hp AWD TSI Talon that beat me on the standing start before. Damm those things are quick off the line!!!
Grip on the corners are not too bad ( for a heavy a$$ car anyway), pushing a little into the corners.

The biggest problem for me is to get heat into the tires during elimination, after the pre-final I try and complete a full lap wide open and hard on the brakes to line up for the final to get things up to temps.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
I hate you:-D ... you have some good vidoes. Keep them coming. What haven't you done in the cobra. You are doing exactly what ford built the cobra's for, wether it be drag racing, open tracking, (drifting I don't think ford intended on them drifting) and now ovals. Wish there were more tracks around here so do ovals and drifting. Keep up the good work.:beer:

Thanks man!
This was my goal after a punk in a Supra (who I dragraced and beat) told me that the Cobra will never keep up in ANY other racing! Now after 2 yrs I proved him and his import friends other wise!

Our cars CAN keep up, "put your driving skills where your mouth is!" is all I say when I see them now. "Lets go do it on a real track in front of real people..."
Dragracing, Solosprint open track, Autocrossing, Drifting and Ovals! If I missed anything let me know and I will try it...:beer:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
That's a hell of a lot better than 30 or 40 guys slugging it out in a race for a grand! :coolman: I'd be cool with that!

On your left front you're probably going to want to go to some positive camber and even the same thing in your left rear to a lesser degree. However it might be a pain switching back and forth between events though? It appears you're doing quite well as it is?!!? :-D

I knew you guys will see the fun in this!!

As for the setup,
normally I would leave the car for never thought it was worth the hassle before. But now there are rumours of atleast 3 guys that are building/prepping there cars to BEAT me!! And from racing in the real world I've come to learn that there is always someone faster than you out there.
I just do not want to get beaten thinking that I could have done something to go faster plus the money would come in handy for tires next year.;-)

We were thinking to lower the LF by say 1/2 and soften the LR spring alittle. Max camber RF, +1 LF, 0 LR and -1 RR. Toe, +1/8 front and +1/16 rear.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Venom525RWHP said:
I knew you guys will see the fun in this!!

As for the setup,
normally I would leave the car for never thought it was worth the hassle before. But now there are rumours of atleast 3 guys that are building/prepping there cars to BEAT me!! And from racing in the real world I've come to learn that there is always someone faster than you out there.
I just do not want to get beaten thinking that I could have done something to go faster plus the money would come in handy for tires next year.;-)

We were thinking to lower the LF by say 1/2 and soften the LR spring alittle. Max camber RF, +1 LF, 0 LR and -1 RR. Toe, +1/8 front and +1/16 rear.

You could even go to +1.5 on the LF and +.5 on the left rear. I don't think that will affect your hole shot much?

I'd also toe in your IRS 1/16" not out! :idea:

Do you have coil-overs?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

sleepless

Established Member
Venom525RWHP said:
Dragracing, Solosprint open track, Autocrossing, Drifting and Ovals! If I missed anything let me know and I will try it...:beer:

Hill climb :)

Should help with rear traction going up hill the whole way!

racebronco2

Established Member
Venom525RWHP said:

:idea: demolition derby ....lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread