need help building solid axle

SonicSnake 03

Established Member
Im going to swap out the irs from my cobra for the solid axle in my gt. My goal is to be able to hook up well and get down the track. I'll be at around 600-630rwhp after a few more mods and a new tune. Right now its impossible to accelerate decently for me and its really annoying. So I need someone who takes off like a rocket to give some advise. What would be best suspension, gears, wheels and tires etc. Thanks in advance guys.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Tires are the main issue I'm sure. get some good dr's atleast, et streets, r888's, etc. For sra suspension racecraft inc is the best imo. It's full on track stuff. beefy, all solid/heim's, etc. So expect noise. UPR also has good stuff. I know a lot of people love teamz stuff, I have yet to see anyone real world gain 60' by using their relocated uppers over a comparable normal upper. I'd be interested in seeing anyone with real world numbers post up about that.

JDUB348

Established Member
I went with Maximum Motorsports torque arm setup with coil overs and pan hard bar.. This is not my setup but mine is almost identical

MaximumGripRear.jpg

As far as what's in my SRA, take a look at my sig.

If it's gonna be a full blown drag race car i'd go with something like a ford 9" or have 9" ends welded onto an 8.8 so you can run the larger spline axles from the 9". If it's not a full drag car, the setup i'm running would be totally fine to run at 600 RWHP imo.

Also, i'd look into having a person who knows what they are doing straighten and weld the axle tubes. There is an art to doing it.. if not done correctly the axle tubes wont be straight.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ Isn't the torque arm setup moreso aimed to handling then straight line performance? That's what I always got from mm's advertising for it. 9" ends would also be nice if you have a little extra time/money to spend on it, but not really necessary. A coworker of mine has a big block fox, that cuts 1.1x 60's, and is on an 8.8 with 33spline axles and a spool. No crazy 9" and a stock "style" suspension with racecraft inc u/l's. So an 8.8 can certainly handle what a terminator can do.

SonicSnake 03

Established Member
I have 17x10.5 wheels with bfgoodrich 315 drag radials. Its not a full time drag car, just once a month or so. Its not my daily either so comfort is not much of a concern.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I have 17x10.5 wheels with bfgoodrich 315 drag radials. Its not a full time drag car, just once a month or so. Its not my daily either so comfort is not much of a concern.

That's what I thought too, but looking back now the swap to sra is the one mod I highly regret. I should have researched more which would have showed me how strong they really are when aided with a brace/bushings which I already had. :bash:

That said tho, the weight loss is nice and simplicity of everything back there. I haven't heard any great reviews of the bfg radials, just that they wear fast and aren't the best for traction.

SonicSnake 03

Established Member
I have the irs and diff busings, I'll be needing a diff cover though. Im going to coilovers, any recommendations on brand and spring rates. What tires do you guys use to hook up well?

Users who are viewing this thread