Need help finding a cap for EGR bung...

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm doing an EGR delete on the car but I have Pacesetter longtube headers that have a different thread pitch on the EGR bung than what Lethal sells in their kit. Anyone know where I can get a 7/8 x 14 cap for it? Thanks.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
is this the same as stock size? Why would the long tubes you're using have a different size bung than the stock manifold??

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
is this the same as stock size? Why would the long tubes you're using have a different size bung than the stock manifold??

Exactly. That was my question to Pacesetter but I couldn't get a specific answer from them. The stock egr tube nut is a different size, I have no idea why they would have a different thread pitch on their headers.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
These longtubes are designed for '96-04 4.6L 4v, do the '03-04 Cobras have different EGR tube nut sizes than the earlier Cobras?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You might have to unscrew the fitting that the EGR tube screws on to and replace it with a plug. A good harware store might be able to match the thread size with a set screw or some kind of plug. Not sure you can get a "cap" to go over the end of that fitting.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
You might have to unscrew the fitting that the EGR tube screws on to and replace it with a plug. A good harware store might be able to match the thread size with a set screw or some kind of plug. Not sure you can get a "cap" to go over the end of that fitting.

The fitting is welded to the headers. Last resort will be to just weld it closed but i'm trying not to disfigure it in case I want to sell them later. I just ordered a delete kit from Lethal, I'm going to try and re-thread the cap the kit comes with.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Usually Fastenal or Lowe's/HomeDepot has something in the plumbing section that would work for you.

Take some measurements or take the piece with you to size it all up.
Pic_14.jpg

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Usually Fastenal or Lowe's/HomeDepot has something in the plumbing section that would work for you.

Take some measurements or take the piece with you to size it all up.
Pic_14.jpg

I already know the measurements, its 7/8 x 14. I looked through our local hardware store when I first put the headers on and couldn't find a cap that size. Fastenal, Lowes, and Home Depot don't have anything in that size either.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I already know the measurements, its 7/8 x 14. I looked through our local hardware store when I first put the headers on and couldn't find a cap that size. Fastenal, Lowes, and Home Depot don't have anything in that size either.

You can get a brass or copper fitting. Those should be soft enough to not damage the threads on the header, yet still seal. Im pretty sure the actual fitting is flared. I went through this in the spring with my build. I found the exact fitting, in a cap, at The Parker Store, yet I dont remember the size.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
You can get a brass or copper fitting. Those should be soft enough to not damage the threads on the header, yet still seal. Im pretty sure the actual fitting is flared. I went through this in the spring with my build. I found the exact fitting, in a cap, at The Parker Store, yet I dont remember the size.

Thanks, I just got back in town and had the Lethal kit waiting for me. The cap they included re-threaded nicely, so it should work fine.

My next question is can I drive the car around with the EGR system deleted before I take it to my tuner? It might be a couple weeks before I can get the car up to Dallas so I wanted to make sure it won't negatively effect the car. Thanks.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Anybody? Can I drive the car around a couple weeks with the system deleted but not turned off in the tune?

Last edited:

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Thanks, I just got back in town and had the Lethal kit waiting for me. The cap they included re-threaded nicely, so it should work fine.

My next question is can I drive the car around with the EGR system deleted before I take it to my tuner? It might be a couple weeks before I can get the car up to Dallas so I wanted to make sure it won't negatively effect the car. Thanks.

You'll be fine. You will more than likely get a Service Engine Soon light with some sort of "catalyst efficiency below threshold" error message, and you're MPG's will drop some.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
You'll be fine. You will more than likely get a Service Engine Soon light with some sort of "catalyst efficiency below threshold" error message, and you're MPG's will drop some.

Excellent, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread