Need help on car selling situation.

Mikes96SVT

Banned
Hey guys, I'm in a situation. So I sold my beater car, It's was a 1990 Grand Prix. I JUST sold it last night, and the lady test drove it for at least 30 minutes. When I sold it to the lady last night absolutely nothing was wrong with the car. Everything was in perfect working order.

Well she calls me this morning and apparently the car won't go in any kind of gear. (It's an automatic)

I feel really bad for this lady because she said she had been screwed before by someone that sold her a car that had put one of those sealers in the car just so he could sell it, obviously it had a blown head gasket.

What do I do? Take the car back out of the goodness of my heart?? I fell bad, but at the same time I feel like it was just a stroke of bad luck for her.

Opinions would be nice.

Car was $1000

MARK C

Established Member
What does she expect for $1000.00. I wouldn't take the car back, if she was nice I might go and look at it for her, to see whats wrong though. What do you think is wrong with the car?

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Offer to smoke her tail lights out of the kindness of your heart.

All cars is sold as is, she probably has not even titled the car yet.

BladeX10

Established Member
When it comes to cars under $1000, they almost always need work. Im selling a boat anchor 1990 Ford Tempo right now for $700. It amazes me the questions people ask me as if they are buying a 2-3 year old car for $20,000. lol.

I had a guy call me the next morning after i sold my 1999 Dodge Stratus for $1700 and said its over heating and he threatened me and all that. I said tough luck and bye. Once it leaves my possession, IDK what they couldve done to the car.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
If the car is sold as is;where is...tough love to her.

Honestly people shouldn't have the expectation that a $1000 car is perfect.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
If she's not too far and seemed like a nice person I would go look at it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Completely up to you. If you're SURE the car was up to date on the maintenance and you feel comfortable with its reliability, she can piss off.

Guy bought my 350z yesterday, and I KNOW for a fact it was perfect mechanically, even AHEAD on maintenance, however its always nice to cover your ass with the whole "VEHICLE IS SOLD AS IS" on the BoS

TDUB003

Established Member
It all comes down to whether or not you can live with it. If you honestly had no idea about it and the car was in working order as you described then I may go look at it for her but nothing more. As mentioned above she paid $1,000 for a 23 year old beater car, you get what you pay for.

Mikes96SVT

Banned
I don't think a 60 year old lady would BS me. I went and looked at it for her. And the transmission is done. Won't even try to go in gear.

I seriously have never seen a transmission just quit like that. But I told her I would give her $300 bucks back and then she could junk the car for like $400 only taking a 200-300$ loss.

She was content with it. She seemed pretty hard up for money; she had bought the car for her pregnant daughter, whom didn't even have license.

I still feel bad though. Oh we'll

cobra199711

Established Member
Don't feel bad dude, that was a very admirable move on your part. Crap happens and you stood up and made it right IMO.

Satyr

Established Member
I think you did more than enough, as well. It sucks that it happened...but that's the risk we all run.

Hell, I bought a beater car (Galant) and it only went a few thousand miles before the AC compressor took a dump and I had to shell out 1400 for it. And that was for a 6k car.

Zemedici

Established Member
I don't think a 60 year old lady would BS me. I went and looked at it for her. And the transmission is done. Won't even try to go in gear.

I seriously have never seen a transmission just quit like that. But I told her I would give her $300 bucks back and then she could junk the car for like $400 only taking a 200-300$ loss.

She was content with it. She seemed pretty hard up for money; she had bought the car for her pregnant daughter, whom didn't even have license.

I still feel bad though. Oh we'll

o_O

ttype69

Established Member
well what you did was nice . next time tell buyer that its up to them to determine condition and relability. also you never know she could have been the one who caused the damage anyways. you feel bad i get that but its non of your buisness about her age her daughter or her prior problems with other cars for 1000 dollars shes lucky she even got a car that was running...

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Stop selling jacked up cars to old ladies.

Kidding, if she drove it for 30 minutes and the sell was "as is" that is the dice you roll for paying $1k for a car.

Mikes96SVT

Banned
Yeah, I understand its her problem soon as she signs the bill of sale and I sign the title over. Now if it was a $6,000 car. Yes, it would be a much different story.

But oh well it isn't a $6000 car, so I'll feel good knowing I did some sort of kind act at some point time in my life, lol

Users who are viewing this thread