Need help w/eyeglasses - Anyone have experience/advice?

afro

Why?
Established Member
Hey,

I know a lot of us have varied professions/experiences on this forum so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has ideas.

I bought some new glasses and I noticed that when I look on the inside of the glasses (towards the nose) it gets very blurry. The outside towards the arms of the frames are fine. I do notice some distortion the further I look towards the arms of the glasses, but nothing too bad. It's mainly when I look anywhere off center towards the inside of the lens. Something seems off.

I never noticed this on my old pair of glasses. I have a decently high Rx of -6.5, no astigmatism. I also have hi-index 1.67 lenses. I thought this may be one of the issues as supposedly higher the index the more distortion around the edges you can have?? The other idea is that my PD ratio is off.

I know it's normal to have distortion around the edges of the lens, but this seems out of ordinary.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's pretty normal actually. I have had it on each pair of glasses I have. It's going to be a bit different for everybody obviously, but keep in mind that your lenses are designed to refract light directly in to your eye. The further you move your eye out of the direction of the lens, the more pronounced blurriness and artifacting is going to be.

If it's truly bothering you, I would recommend contacts. Otherwise, give it a couple weeks and you'll adjust to where you have vision correction and where you don't.

afro

Why?
Established Member
That's pretty normal actually. I have had it on each pair of glasses I have. It's going to be a bit different for everybody obviously, but keep in mind that your lenses are designed to refract light directly in to your eye. The further you move your eye out of the direction of the lens, the more pronounced blurriness and artifacting is going to be.

If it's truly bothering you, I would recommend contacts. Otherwise, give it a couple weeks and you'll adjust to where you have vision correction and where you don't.

hmm I have contacts and have been wearing contacts for a while, but want to switch back to glasses. How bad does your vision distort looking towards the inside? My other pair of glasses are not near this bad. If I look straight ahead my vision is fine, but if I look off center towards the inside of my lens I immediately notice blurred vision. There's very little room for error.

I have the option of returning the lenses and correcting either the PD ratio or lens index rating (getting a lower index lens). I'm just wondering if that would fix my issue. I'm thinking if my PD is too wide they may have cut the lens with the focus more towards the outside of the lens and that could be the issue. But I have no idea wtf I'm talking about because I'm not an optician ;) I'm just guessing lol.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It sounds like you need to talk to your optometrist. I have some distortion, but it's only at the edges. It doesn't intrude on my normal viewing habits.

oldmodman

Established Member
My suggestion is to wear them for at least a week, all day everyday.

If they still look strange and distorted them go back to where they were made.

You have to allow plenty of time for your eyes and brain to get used to them.

afro

Why?
Established Member
I can't bring them to my optometrist because I bought them online. Gotta figure this out on my own.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay, so you bought them online. You can still have them checked by an optomotrist. Some won't even charge you, although most will. Can't be very expensive, though. I would not figure this out on your own. Like Drew recommended, wear them all day for at least a week. If you still have an issue, have an optomotrist check them.

Hepcat007

Established Member
Online prescriptions are typically wrong. They only are about 50% accurate or less. The problem is that they use wonky methods to determine your PD measurement. Take them into an optomotrist to check it. I'm betting it's off. Or even if it is right, sometimes the mounter has to bend the frame in order to get the edged lens to fit if the lens has a high base curve or the frame is very flat. This can also affect the PD.

afro

Why?
Established Member
Online prescriptions are typically wrong. They only are about 50% accurate or less. The problem is that they use wonky methods to determine your PD measurement. Take them into an optomotrist to check it. I'm betting it's off. Or even if it is right, sometimes the mounter has to bend the frame in order to get the edged lens to fit if the lens has a high base curve or the frame is very flat. This can also affect the PD.

PD is from an optometrist visit 4 years ago. It's the same value as my current glasses. I did measure it myself, however, and was within .5mm of what I had 4 years ago. I ordered these glasses w/the PD measure 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread