Need help with my 04 Mach 1!!!!!

04MachWon

Established Member
Hello everybody I REALLY need some good advice here....Ok here we go. I have an 04 Mach 1 with the following mods....JLT CAI, BBK Shortys, BBK X-Pipe (No-Cats) and SLP LM1 out the back, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter, 315/35/17 Nitto 555R Drag Radials in the back mounted on Black 04 Cobra rims all the way around. I think that there is an aftermarket clutch kit in it but not sure only had the car for about 11 months now. That is it for mods. My problem is I have $700 to spend so what would be a good investment for my next purchase for mods. I was thinking a Diablo Sport Hanheld tuner and a BBK Twin 65mm Throttle body?????? Not sure though. I know when I mash the gas from a standstill and try to hit 2nd gear my Mach coughs or like ckokes for a split second so I was thinking that a Tuner and a Throttle body would fix that problem????? My car DOES NOT have a tune on it yet. I am looking for the most HP for the money I got. I ONLY HAVE $700 TO SPEND. AND I AM NOT PUTTING NITROUS ON MY CAR. I HATE THAT SHIT!!!!!! LOL But thank you all for the advice. Thank you all so much.

PFC.RIGGS
U.S.ARMY

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Here ya go man 4.30 gears and a custom dyno tune from a shop,
not a canned tune either
a real dyno tune

you wont know that its the same car

(i even have the gears brand new in box and an install kit ill sell you )

04MachWon

Established Member
Yeah I have been doing some research on what gears to get and everyone says to get either 4.10s or 4.30s. I do some interstate driving every once in awhile and I was told not to go with 4.30s and go with 4.10s cause of that. I was also told that my MPG would go down if I go with 4.30s????? So what you think....some 4.10 gears and some 31 spline axles and a tune??????? Thank you so much again for the advice.

99BlownVert

Established Member
a good mail order tune set to your mods would probably be all u need. My mail order tune was spot on didnt have to change a thing.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
if you get 4.10s youll wish you got 4.30;s

Manual
.62 ratio, 80mph, at X.XX:1 rear gear ratio

3.55 = 2304 rpm
3.73 = 2421 rpm
4.10 = 2661 rpm
4.30 = 2791 rpm
4.56 = 2960 rpm

thats only 130 rpm diffrence at 80 mph id go with 4.30's

also 31 splines welded axel tubes and a 31 spline diffy then some drag radials and youll be running 12's

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
IMO...I'd BUY a handheld from a tuner of your choice and get a custom dyno tune with it. After that, see how much $$$ you have and go with Gears. The speedometer can be recalced by yourself with the handheld if you go with gears after the tune.

IMO, that's the most economical/efficient way to go.

04MachWon

Established Member
Well I would really like to say Thank You to all of you who helped me out on this subject. I just got back from my local performance shop (Winners Circle) and just spent $550 on a brand new BBK Twin 65 mm TB and some FRPP 4.10 gears!!! Cant wait. I just so happened to know the guy working there cause I raced his 5.3 liter S-10....Its a small world...LOL But he gave me the TB for $300 its usually like $340 and the gears for $200 plus the shop will install them for free...HELL YEAH then my car is going to Bob Krugan for the dyno tune. 400HP here I come...LOL. Thank you all for your help I will need it again for future advice on upgrades.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I woulda gone with an accufab TB, diablo canned tune, or an sct dyno tune, and 410s, for me i DD my car, and use the highway, I love the stock gears for highway driving and highway rolls, just hate 5th gear!

buckinwild

Established Member
Dyno/Custom/Mail order tune is no. 1 best thing to do at this point so you can get your a/f ratio optimized for your current mod's, I have a diablo tuner and its my second one and I've had no problems with either one, I also hear good things about SCT's as well, it should come down to which tuner the shop that tunes your car uses as to which one you should buy basically if your going to dyno tune, I believe both offer internet downloadable custom tunes. 4.10's will make it alot more fun to drive too and thats the next item on my list of mod's along with forged 28 spline axles as opposed to 31 spline's since my car won't see alot of track time and I do drive relatively sane 95% of the time, I will have a set of dr's to switch to when I go to the track so no more 1/8 mi. burnouts for me but for what few races that I encounter on the roads its a waste of money to daily drive them. Now last but not least, TB's...I honestly have to say personally I have no experience with them but from what I have read from people who have is that there are no significant gains from swapping them unless your going FI or big cam's, ported intake, etc. and people that did said accufabs are the better ones to buy ;-).

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
well glad we could help............. kinda?

you will love the gears

i have the bbk throttle body as well, havnt had any problems with it sticking or hanging,

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
IMO (just my opinion, some will disagree), that $300 on the TB was a waste at your power level. Stockers flow nicely at 500rwhp.

Also, you are a FAR stretch from 400rwhp. it's gonna take a lot more mods, engine work, and $$$$$ to get to that point.

i'd guess you to be at 300-310/320-330 if Bob still has the Mustang Dyno. Track numbers are what really matters though. GL

EVO-lution

Established Member
Dyno/Custom/Mail order tune is no. QUOTE]

wait are you telling him to stay away from a dyno tune?:??: maybe I'm misinterpreting it and you meant mail order tune is a no.:shrug:

4.10's r a great gear of choice IMO. I would do the SCT with a dyno tune.

But i STRONGLY agree with PonyGT's previous post. Return the TB. it's pointless. save the money and get the tuner. also look into a manifold spacer. cheap way to squeeze a little extra ponies out :thumbsup:

04MachWon

Established Member
First off I didnt say I would be at 400HP with these parts on, I said I am on my way to 400HP. My Mach is in a garage till winter is over anyway. So I am gonna buy all the bolt-ons possible and see where my car is at then. Goal for summer of 2010 is 400HP!!!!! Thanks again to all for their advice.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

wait are you telling him to stay away from a dyno tune?:??: maybe I'm misinterpreting it and you meant mail order tune is a no.:shrug:

But i STRONGLY agree with PonyGT's previous post. Return the TB. it's pointless. save the money and get the tuner. also look into a manifold spacer. cheap way to squeeze a little extra ponies out :thumbsup:
Intake spacers are great for Torque. I've seen tests up to 12rwtq with a better low end band. :beer: Best $100 you can spend IMO.

OH and Buckinwild said "no. 1"; as in First thing. ;-)
First off I didnt say I would be at 400HP with these parts on, I said I am on my way to 400HP. My Mach is in a garage till winter is over anyway. So I am gonna buy all the bolt-ons possible and see where my car is at then. Goal for summer of 2010 is 400HP!!!!! Thanks again to all for their advice.
I didn't mean to imply that you would be with those parts. I'm just sayin' that 400rwhp isn't right around the corner. Maybe you are referring to estimated crank horsepower. :shrug: If that's the case...then ~330rwhp would be your target.

ALso, I know it's a little late, but if you are in a position to some time before the summer, I'd ditch the Shorties and go with LT's. Shorties do nothing for these cars.

GL with your setup.

buckinwild

Established Member

No. 1/Number 1, yea you read it wrong man, I just meant the choice of those tunes should be the first thing OP should do.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread