Need honest opinions guys

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
My parents are remodeling the farmhouse which is where my Mustang is stored, the owner of the hardwood flooring company is very interested in my car. My thought was to sell the car and then hold onto the money for a bit and then buy a 96-98 Cobra. As this will save me some money on the teksid and 4v swap. Plus I love the Cobras.

Turns out the guy interested in my car has 2 cobras, one is a 97 vert and the other is a 96 Mystic. The Mystic has an R title and needs some bodywork from where it was not done right the first time. (My best friend is a body guy, so free labor) I love the mystics and would love to own one, but also think a vert would be sweet as well.

This guy was thinking of a possible trade, my car as in sig for one of said cobras, and maybe some cash on the Mystic if he decides he would be willing to trade.

Plan is to turbo and make pretty big numbers, obviously the vert would need some bracing but with it done right how well do they handle the HP? And also what are these cars worth? I see anywhere from 7500-12000.

cliffs: How well do the vert 96-98 cobras handle big power if suspension and bracing is done properly, little track time?

How much are these cars really worth?

Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks

baffles

Established Member
just my two cents worth.

I've got a 98 Cobra Vert. You will need some serious bracing to stiffen the chassis up. Mine is bone stock and i can tell you it twists and bends all over the place when you do anything, straight line or a bendy road.

I've driven a coupe of the same year and it makes a serious difference just having the roof there to stiffen things up a bit.

Not an expert on this kinda stuff in any way, both of the cars were making close to the factory rated power, the coupe had a CAI and new headers, but that was it. Hopefully posting this will get this thread some more attention :)

oilwell1415

Established Member
As much as I love the 96 Mystic Cobras I would never own one. My cousin had to do some paint work on one at his body shop and it was a royal pain in his ass. By the time they got the paint delivered, jumped through the hoops to spray it, and accounted for every drop, he ended up having the car twice as long as he was supposed to and the insurance company didn't want to pay for the job because it was so expensive.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
just my two cents worth.
I've got a 98 Cobra Vert. You will need some serious bracing to stiffen the chassis up. Mine is bone stock and i can tell you it twists and bends all over the place when you do anything, straight line or a bendy road.
I've driven a coupe of the same year and it makes a serious difference just having the roof there to stiffen things up a bit.
Not an expert on this kinda stuff in any way, both of the cars were making close to the factory rated power, the coupe had a CAI and new headers, but that was it. Hopefully posting this will get this thread some more attention :)

have you done at least full length subframe? they make a world of divverence in a vert. FLSFC, Lowering springs c/C plates and strut tower brace are musts for Verts IMHO.

As much as I love the 96 Mystic Cobras I would never own one. My cousin had to do some paint work on one at his body shop and it was a royal pain in his ass. By the time they got the paint delivered, jumped through the hoops to spray it, and accounted for every drop, he ended up having the car twice as long as he was supposed to and the insurance company didn't want to pay for the job because it was so expensive.
Personally I would not trade for a mystic that needs body work or paint work, since it would come out of my pocket. Insurance (assuming you have full coverage) HAS to pay for paint damage. These cars have been around long enough that insurance companies should have factored the extra cost of paint into their premiums.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
the fact that it may or may not need some minor work is not a concern honestly, I had my buddy look into what it costs and stuff like that to fix it when and if I have to.

He has a few connections, but anyhow this is all sight unseen, going to scope them out them out next week. From what the father said the paint on the Mystic is flawless. Also it has gears and full exhaust, including long tubes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the fact that it may or may not need some minor work is not a concern honestly, I had my buddy look into what it costs and stuff like that to fix it when and if I have to.

He has a few connections, but anyhow this is all sight unseen, going to scope them out them out next week. From what the father said the paint on the Mystic is flawless. Also it has gears and full exhaust, including long tubes.
The paint on the mystic is flawless? will it remain so after this is done? (taken from your OP)?

The Mystic has an R title and needs some bodywork from where it was not done right the first time. (My best friend is a body guy, so free labor.

just an FYI, your buddy's connection will do you absolutely NO good when it comes to getting 96 mystic paint.

oilwell1415

Established Member
just an FYI, your buddy's connection will do you absolutely NO good when it comes to getting 96 mystic paint.

...unless he works for the Department of the Treasury and has ready access to it and thinks losing his job and going to jail are less important that helping his buddy paint his car. I suspect anyone that's a big enough security risk to hook up one of their buddies with Mystic on the side would not be allowed anywhere near it.

93&99cobrasvt

Established Member
I just bought a quart of Mystic paint from Ford for $312. I didnt have to go through many hopes to get it either. I filled out a form SVT sent me, then faxed it back to them, they faxed it to BASF and in a week I had my paint. Its really not that bad to get the paint now. Best of luck man Mystics are awesome!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely check out the two cars carefully. Maybe bring your buddy along for a second set of eyes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I just bought a quart of Mystic paint from Ford for $312. I didnt have to go through many hopes to get it either. I filled out a form SVT sent me, then faxed it back to them, they faxed it to BASF and in a week I had my paint. Its really not that bad to get the paint now. Best of luck man Mystics are awesome!!

interesting. I wonder if the changes in U.S. currency has had the effect of loosening up their formerly VERY tight fisted control over the paint.

oilwell1415

Established Member
The changes in currency shouldn't have any impact at all on it because it could still be used to counterfeit the curreny it was used in.

When my cousin painted the car in probably 97 or 98 the government hand delivered him the paint and guns to spray it from. They watched them paint the car. When it was done they took the extra paint and the guns with them as well as all of the masking materials used and anything else that had some overspray on it that could be taken.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
My wife had some paint work done on her Mystic a few times, and she didn't have to jump through any hoops either.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I was told two different stories on the condition of the paint, so I can't say untill I actually look at it........and according to my buddy its not that hard to get ahold of anymore, so his connection could be of some use.

CobraBob-I got 2 other guys to go with me, one body guy and another mustang fanatic, so hopefully we should see most everything.

What is the car worth with the "R" title, I was thinking a straight swap for it. I don't feel as if he could get much for it with the "R" title.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
You already have a fast car. Shave the emblems and put on a cowl hood and Cobra bumper and be happy with what you got. Why do it all over again?

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
OP just curious but how much power is your current GT putting down? Just trying to see how big of a jump you plan on getting HP wise.

Also unless you get a hell of a deal on the "R" titled one, I'd be very weary but that's just me.

As far as vert reinforcement is concerned I agree with RDJ on what he said "have you done at least full length subframe? they make a world of divverence in a vert. FLSFC, Lowering springs c/C plates and strut tower brace are musts for Verts IMHO." There are some really nice FLSFC's you can get.

really wouldn't do anything "divverent" lol jk :beer:

chrisheltra

Established Member
The changes in currency shouldn't have any impact at all on it because it could still be used to counterfeit the curreny it was used in.

When my cousin painted the car in probably 97 or 98 the government hand delivered him the paint and guns to spray it from. They watched them paint the car. When it was done they took the extra paint and the guns with them as well as all of the masking materials used and anything else that had some overspray on it that could be taken.

Whats the deal with this paint to warrant all those precautions?

Users who are viewing this thread