Need New Track Tires

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
I am going to need some new track tires here soon guys, and I was wondering what your preferences were. If possible I am looking for something that I will get good life out of, on both small autocrosses and open track events, as I plan on heading up to gingerman this year. Down the line I will pick up 2 more rims ( I currently have 6 cobra R's), and then be able to have a set of autocross tires, and open track tires. Unless there is a tire that will fill both shoes. I don't want to spend a fourtune, so if anybody has any inside deals that they would like to throw my way, it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

TTA89

Established Member
Are you looking for Track Tires or Street Tires that will work decent on the Track?

I'd give a +3 for the RT-615s if you need street tires. If you are looking for real track tires there are a few choices.

$$ Not being a factor I love the Kumho V710s, I have a set that has been through a lot and are still in decent shape. Both Auto X and Open Track. They are expensive at $209 a tire but if you want the best this is it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Kumho&model=ECSTA+V710

I bought a set of the Avon Tech Rs on Closeout a few months back for basically 1/2 the cost. I don't think there are any left but they were like $139 shipped or something like that.

I have 3 sets of 95Rs that I use, I keep an extra set of race rubber so I can run them until they cord and not have to worry about leaving early from an event.

I ran the Tech Rs at the last Auto X and once they heat up they stick pretty well, the Turn is is excellent but the grip isn't quite as good as the 710s. I'm going to continue to run the 710s for Auto X where its very competative and use the Tech Rs for Open Track days where it doesn't matter as much.

You can use either of them for both Auto X and OT Days. I'm going to buy another set of 710s when I kill my current set.

The V700 is supposed to be decent but not as sticky, I have never tried it though. They are all miles better than the best street tire you can buy, once you go Rs you don't go back! :beer:

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
Thanks Mike,
Yeah, I am looking at a track only tire. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the 710's. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't ruin them on a autocross weekend. and they would still hold up on a open track day. Thanks again, Mike

TTA89

Established Member
Our Auto Xs are Massive, they typically run 1.6-1.7 miles long and there are a couple of us running 710s without any problems.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I think I have clocked about 1000 track miles on my set of V710's in the season and half I had them. They still haven't corded.

As Mike said, our courses are long, and the pavement is REALLY rough. So I would say that the life span on the V710's is exceptional given the beating we normally give them.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yep, the grip of the V710s is great even up to cording them. I slightly corded a set of V710s at my last track event at HPT, I only noticed it when I got home after that weekend. Even with them being about gone I still clicked off a 1:44.313 which was a faster lap than the AS mustang that was there, and only several seconds slower than a 3k lb 450hp 351W SLA equipt 95 mustang cobra running on new Hoosiers.
I've got another set ready to go, they just to be mounted up. I'm really looking forward to running on this new set, it'll be my first time out on new V710s. :banana:

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
I second the Kumhos, but I would watch some of the used tire people, like the guys who advertise on Trackschedule.com. You can get a good set of Kumhos for like 50-100 bucks per tire. I have been buying my RA1's used for about a year now. I get sets which folks have two to four autocrosses on them, and usually spend @250 bucks shipped to my house.

Again, nothing against new, but I can get 3 sets for the price of one set of new RA1s.

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
I looked on trackschedule.com, but I could not find where people post to sell used tires. Where else can you find good used itres?

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I have used the Kumho MX tire at open track events and they stick real well when they warm up. They are not good autocross tires because they cannot warm up quick enough to give you good grip for short autocrosses. The set lasted me a full season
about 8 track events and some major (drift competition-due to lack of traction) autocrosses in between. Plus, they are cheap-compared to R compounds.

Slide It

Track Rat
Established Member
Hoosier R3S05

Discontinued but they are on sale at the Hoosier web site.
275/40 ZR 17 @ $175.00/each and FREE SHIPPING!

I bought a set last week.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Slide It said:
Hoosier R3S05

Discontinued but they are on sale at the Hoosier web site.
275/40 ZR 17 @ $175.00/each and FREE SHIPPING!

I bought a set last week.

They also have 285-30/18's for $127.00 shipped! I think they were the R3S04's though? Freight is free on discontinued tires! :pepper:

TTA89

Established Member
Hoosiers don't last very long though, I'd buy something else if you're just doing open track days and not competing. Although for the price its not bad, just don't expect very many miles out of them.

Cobra-R

Established Member
TTA89 said:
Hoosiers don't last very long though, I'd buy something else if you're just doing open track days and not competing. Although for the price its not bad, just don't expect very many miles out of them.

I agree. Toyo RA1's (shaved) are not as fast but are way better "bang for the buck" than any Hossier that I have ever driven.

Brian

TTA89

Established Member
I'm waiting for 710s to go on closeout. :rolling: (yeah right)

After driving on the Avon Tech Rs I wish I could buy another set, those are great for driving school lapping days and they wear like Iron. Great tire for 129 or 139.. .whatever they were.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
I agree. Toyo RA1's (shaved) are not as fast but are way better "bang for the buck" than any Hossier that I have ever driven.

Brian

Hoosier= :fart:

TTA89 said:
I'm waiting for 710s to go on closeout. :rolling: (yeah right)

After driving on the Avon Tech Rs I wish I could buy another set, those are great for driving school lapping days and they wear like Iron. Great tire for 129 or 139.. .whatever they were.

I certainly hope so, because they sure don't grip worth a crap?!?! I still can't figure out how Ken is so fast on those damn things?!?! :bowdown: :idea:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
In case you haven't tried...

The Avons really liked lower pressures at Summit Shen two weekends ago. I was down to 30 psi front and 29 psi rear hot. I thought the tires gripped really well. Still, they weren't as grippy as 710's but the turn in was snappier, which I like. We were pushing REALLY hard in the last sessions of the second day.

Users who are viewing this thread