Need New Track Tires

TTA89

Established Member
I certainly hope so, because they sure don't grip worth a crap?!?! I still can't figure out how Ken is so fast on those damn things?!?! :bowdown: :idea:

I thought so too when I was trying to run them with the same pressure as 710s. As Troy said, once we aired them way down they worked great.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TTA89 said:
I thought so too when I was trying to run them with the same pressure as 710s. As Troy said, once we aired them way down they worked great.

Thanks guys that's great info to know! :idea: I probably had them overinflated because I pretty much mirrored the V710 pressures I'd been running! :read:

I only had them on the car twice just heat cycling them. I also noticed they squealed quite a bit too?

Thanks for the air pressure tip. I'll give it a try this weekend at Auto-Bahn!

TTA89

Established Member
Yeah they do make noise when pushed which I wasn't used too either but after awhile I didn't even notice. I think I was 29/30 cold, somewhere around there. Start a little higher and see how they do. I kept letting air out every session and they felt better everytime but I don't recall where I ended up.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
After reducing the pressure on the Avons on the rear of the car to 29#, they seemed to do a little better? I don't know if it's the heat cycles they have been through, the pressure reduction (only 1#) or the different track? But the tires seem to be a tad better now? Less noise too.

They appear to be wearing very well but I only have limited track time on these two tires.

FWIW

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TTA89 said:
29? You're still too high.

Hmmmmm............... if that's the case I'm going to start worrying about peeling the damn tire off the rim running mid 20's for pressure?!?!?!

But I WILL try them with slightly less pressure next time and see what happens?

I really don't have any idea about the hot pressures on the tires because by the time I take my cool down lap, which at Road America can be 4 minutes or more and by the time I get back to the paddock and unstrapped, a sizeable amount of time has passed and the tires have cooled considerably?

This past weekend was actually the first time I came in hot off the track and had tire temps done with a probe style pyrometer. I just have a handheld infrared unit and accuracy in the past has just been hit and miss. To be honest I've gone more by the eveness of tire wear than tire temps. Running a one man race team has it's challenges! ! :-D

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
Ha you know what, I was having brain fade yesterday... 30/29 is what we are running. Maybe I thought you meant 39.... Sorry. :shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TTA89 said:
Ha you know what, I was having brain fade yesterday... 30/29 is what we are running. Maybe I thought you meant 39.... Sorry. :shrug:

Hey, no problem on the brain fade, I get it more and more now!! :bash: I can totally relate!

The 30/29 are the cold temps you're running, correct?

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Hey, no problem on the brain fade, I get it more and more now!! :bash: I can totally relate!

I run the Avons and I have finally found the right tire temps for the front. The rears I think one more psi drop will do it. Cold pressure front 23psi cold pressure rear 22psi. These #'s are not the norm but based on my tire temp log I am right on the money. Peace, Skeet.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
ac427cobra said:

At SP those were my hot temps. I think Mike's as well. More specifically, after half a cooldown lap and a 150 or so yard trip to my spot in the paddock. It really sounds like more of a setting for a drag radial, but the tires were fantastic for me at this psi.

Hey Skeet, what were the conditions of the event you ran those pressures at? Was it still open track sessions of around 20 minutes or so? What about the weather and course conditions? Thanks.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TroyV said:
At SP those were my hot temps. I think Mike's as well. More specifically, after half a cooldown lap and a 150 or so yard trip to my spot in the paddock. It really sounds like more of a setting for a drag radial, but the tires were fantastic for me at this psi.

Hey Skeet, what were the conditions of the event you ran those pressures at? Was it still open track sessions of around 20 minutes or so? What about the weather and course conditions? Thanks.

Well, I'm going to give Skeet's 23/22 cold a try and see what happens? I've never run a tire that soft so that's why I've been so leery.

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
TroyV said:

I was at Summit also with SVTOA. Tires grow 7-8lbs.

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
Oh. So Skeet, you were running those pressures at Summit? I somehow got the impression that you had tried these pressures at a later time.

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Skeet:

I'm assuming that's with air and not Nitrogen?
It's air Bruce. Yes Troy, those numbers are from Summit. I have been working those pressures down since the end of last season when I began using tire temps to read how the tires were working while on track. I started around 16 sessions ago with cold pressure at 32. I was getting inside of tires on all four corners overworked. After every session I have taken out pressure in small increments to where it is today. The rears are still not quite showing enough temp on the outside but I think that last lb of pressure should do it. I don't think I will be taking out much more pressure at this point. From here I will go back to changing my alignment. My front Camber is -1.3, rear is -.6. I have left the front alone but the rear started at -1.2 as suggested by KB. After discussing the initial temps those rears settings have went from -1.2, to -1.0, to -.6. Just FYI I run 1/16th toe out on front with 4.8 degrees of caster. I run 1/16th toe in on rear. I run all the front and rear KB goodies including rear arms, With all the supporting gear that's out there. Spring rates 375,600. Custom frame connectors and 4 point. Car weight with full tank, 3475. Hope this helps! If you don't monitor those tire temps, I don't know how you would know if your setup is correct. This process has really been a revelation for me in understanding what's happening with the car out on track. Peace, Skeet.

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
That is excellent information Skeet. I guess I should start using a more proven method like that to keep track of the tires. I have always sort of felt my way around the matter. I would set pressures to what I liked in terms of how the car rected to input. Too little traction at one end, take some air out. Too much side wall roll, put some in. etc... for autox that has worked pretty well for me. I'm not sure how we ended up running the lower pressures at SP but we were all letting air out by the middle of the first day.

Maybe I'll look at pyrometers online today. :)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok Gang:

It's amazing what you find in your hauler after an event that can be related to a discussion you're having on the message boards! :-D

At the last event I attended, The Kenny Brown crew had a tire temp facility set up. When I came off track they were in the process of changing crews over so they didn't get on my tires right away. So they cooled slightly. Plus I had to let a few cars go by so I could be on the left side of the track to exit. So the tires weren't quite at max temp.

The Avons in the rear I had inflated to 29 cold. The hot pressures they found were 39 left and 38 right. I'm running Nitrogen.

Temps were from left to right

Left 116-120-118 Right 133-125-117

I think that left is pretty darn good!!? Almost perfect to be exact!
I can't see running 6 or 8 pounds less pressure in them? The right may need a tad less camber but I need to get it on the alignment machine to confirm?

The front of the car had V-701s' and they started out at 32 psi each. Hot pressures they found 42 left and 41 right.

Temps were from left to right

Left 115-124-135 Right 132-127-129

In the front I'm running approximately -3 camber so that may be why the insides are so hot? If I try to run less camber. I tear up the left outside edge of my LF tire.

FWIW

Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
The front of the car had V-701s' and they started out at 32 psi each. Hot pressures they found 42 left and 41 right.

701s huh? Are those cheaper than 710s? :D

I'm suprised that you're pressures are that much higher with Nitrogen. I typically go by feel of the car... that and I don't have a way to check tire temps. :dw:

Heading to Mosport the weekend after next, I'll let you know how the Avons feel at 155+ :uh oh:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TTA89 said:
701s huh? Are those cheaper than 710s? :D

I'm suprised that you're pressures are that much higher with Nitrogen. I typically go by feel of the car... that and I don't have a way to check tire temps. :dw:

Heading to Mosport the weekend after next, I'll let you know how the Avons feel at 155+ :uh oh:

Not only do I think Dislexic, I also type that way too!! :pepper:

The Avon's will be fine at 155 as long as you don't need to turn!?!? :poke: ;-)

BlackBullit4726

Black Bullitt #4726
Established Member
SVTmojo said:
I am going to need some new track tires here soon guys, and I was wondering what your preferences were. If possible I am looking for something that I will get good life out of, on both small autocrosses and open track events, as I plan on heading up to gingerman this year. Down the line I will pick up 2 more rims ( I currently have 6 cobra R's), and then be able to have a set of autocross tires, and open track tires. Unless there is a tire that will fill both shoes. I don't want to spend a fourtune, so if anybody has any inside deals that they would like to throw my way, it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Just ran 2 days At Watkins Glen with new Falken RT 615's. They are awesome for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread