Need Traction Help - ASAP - 2011 Convertible with TVS

YELL03

Established Member
I might have no options now that temps are in the 30s, but here goes.

I have a 2011 GT500 with a TVS swap, no other options except for Roush Axleback.

It made 590rwhp/573rwtq SAE compared to a 13 GT500 that made 568rwhp that same day on the same dyno, but for arguments sake, let's say it makes the same power as a 13 GT500.

However, where the new GT500 has taller rear gears (3.31s) and taller tranny gears which helps tame all the low end torque, the 2011 GT500 has a 3.55 rear combined with a lower geared tranny, it is the perfect storm for traction problems.

Knowing the cold weather was coming I swapped the terrible stock Goodyear F1s for Michelin Pilot A/S 3 all-season radials 255/40/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears. The Michelin's were actually much better in the warm weather.

On a 70 degree sunny day I could hook in 2nd from a roll.

Now that temps are in the 30s, it is a different story.
Today I stabbed it at 65-70mph in 3rd and broke traction and 2nd will get crazy squirelly at any speed. Let's not talk about 1st.

I am afraid to try a full throttle 1-2 shift at high rpms on the street.

I might just have to deal with these tires and wheels in the cold, but maybe there is some suspension work that would help plant the car better in the cold and maybe there is a better fall, spring, & summer tire and wheel package for the dry, keep in mind this is a rain or shine daily driver.

I think the car could surely benefit from a wider tire, 285 is just not enough contact patch.

My 450hp Viper had 335s and spun through them (I went to Kumho R compounds) and my C6 Z06 had 325s.
Neither car had the brute power of the GT500 with the TVS.

My 490rwhp SAE 03 Cobra did fine on 275/40/17s, either BFG KDWs or Drag Radials.

My 461rwhp 92 LX was fine on smaller Nitto DRs

Lots of you guys/gals are making way more power than me, give me some PROVEN options.

I am turning 50 in December and my family would like to give me the gift of LIFE in the form of traction.
Let's try to keep the cost to a minimum if possible and remember this is for a Convertible.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Give Van a call on these forums. He will point you in the right direction for suspension. But basically at your level, you need LCA's at the very least. Of course you can add a UCA as well, relocation brackets, ect.....Like I said, Van will get you headed in the right direction there.

For tires, I would run on something in the 305 range. I run 315 Invo's out back, but my rim is a 11.

But in the end, you have a combo of suspension and tire. Also at 30 degrees, your in trouble no matter what you put on back there.

YELL03

Established Member
Give Van a call on these forums. He will point you in the right direction for suspension. But basically at your level, you need LCA's at the very least. Of course you can add a UCA as well, relocation brackets, ect.....Like I said, Van will get you headed in the right direction there.

For tires, I would run on something in the 305 range. I run 315 Invo's out back, but my rim is a 11.

But in the end, you have a combo of suspension and tire. Also at 30 degrees, your in trouble no matter what you put on back there.

Van got me my tune, I'll give him a call.
305s really don't fit correctly on a 9.5" rim, so I would need at least a 10" rim.

30 degrees, part throttle is the name of the game

Fuerig

Established Member
Van got me my tune, I'll give him a call.
305s really don't fit correctly on a 9.5" rim, so I would need at least a 10" rim.

30 degrees, part throttle is the name of the game

Traction was a large issue for me. I went with LCA's , LCA relocation, 315/35/20 NT05R, Steeda rear seat x brace, steeda rear strut tower brace, and a few braces underneath. The tires were great when they were new and yes the 315 fit perfectly on the SVTPP rear wheels, however, when the tires wore down all of the suspension mods allowed me to spin in a straight line instead of swaying side to side. Spinning isnt winning but I'm able to hook my shelby in 40-50 degree weather without a problem ( but I also added a 8 point cage as well). As someone said earlier, Van at Revan will point you in the right way with BMR products.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
there is NO better tire than the NT05R's for these cars and for street driving...they are fine in the rain...been caught driving home from the track in Jersey to CT with them....all the other suspension stuff doesn't matter unless to put a good tire on it. my .02

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Haven't seen a tire that will hold in 30-40 degree temps. Once the asphalt gets that cold no tire is going to hook or suspension set up will work. The roads start to go away after temps drop below 50.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
There is no ultimate summer/winter tire setup and I wouldn't be running a nt05r drag radial in below 30s weather either. I put my 555r's in the garage for winter the first day temps dip into the 30s. A soft compound tire like these can crack in the cold and have a blowout, if I remember right my tires came with a warning on them something to that effect. You need a summer wheel/tire setup and another one for winter. Still amazes me all the money these guys put into the cars and don't do this, go with a continental dws for winter. When temps drop into the 50s/40s wot isn't the goal anymore, it's making driving the car NOT suicide. I wouldn't bother with a bunch of suspension upgrades on a 11+ car either, unless it's going to be a serious drag car. Our cars don't suffer from bad wheel hop like the older cars do, GL.

YELL03

Established Member
Traction was a large issue for me. I went with LCA's , LCA relocation, 315/35/20 NT05R, Steeda rear seat x brace, steeda rear strut tower brace, and a few braces underneath. The tires were great when they were new and yes the 315 fit perfectly on the SVTPP rear wheels, however, when the tires wore down all of the suspension mods allowed me to spin in a straight line instead of swaying side to side. Spinning isnt winning but I'm able to hook my shelby in 40-50 degree weather without a problem ( but I also added a 8 point cage as well). As someone said earlier, Van at Revan will point you in the right way with BMR products.

It is the side to side that I want to eliminate

there is NO better tire than the NT05R's for these cars and for street driving...they are fine in the rain...been caught driving home from the track in Jersey to CT with them....all the other suspension stuff doesn't matter unless to put a good tire on it. my .02

That will be OK in the spring, summer, and fall, but not for the winter.
If I lived somewhere warm I would just throw NT05Rs on it and call it a day, but I want something to keep it from going sideways with my winter tires.

Haven't seen a tire that will hold in 30-40 degree temps. Once the asphalt gets that cold no tire is going to hook or suspension set up will work. The roads start to go away after temps drop below 50.

Good point, my 75 year old father said his stock 2013 5.0 manual tranny walked out on him in 2nd gear the other day. He has Pirelli A/S.
Heck, my son's 2005 5.0 with 300rwhp on 235/50/18 Pirelli A/S

There is no ultimate summer/winter tire setup and I wouldn't be running a nt05r drag radial in below 30s weather either. I put my 555r's in the garage for winter the first day temps dip into the 30s. A soft compound tire like these can crack in the cold and have a blowout, if I remember right my tires came with a warning on them something to that effect. You need a summer wheel/tire setup and another one for winter. Still amazes me all the money these guys put into the cars and don't do this, go with a continental dws for winter. When temps drop into the 50s/40s wot isn't the goal anymore, it's making driving the car NOT suicide. I wouldn't bother with a bunch of suspension upgrades on a 11+ car either, unless it's going to be a serious drag car. Our cars don't suffer from bad wheel hop like the older cars do, GL.

All really good points.
I feel like a wuss not getting on it, but I know when something isn't a good idea, and WOT in anything besides 3rd gear is crazy right now and even in 3rd I have to watch my azz.
As for suspension mods, even in warm weather it gets sideways in 1st, eliminating that would be a plus. Spinning straight would be an improvement.
The Michelin A/S 3s are actually good in the warm weather, but I would love a set-up that hooks in 1st in the summer.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
A Torsen diff will help keep it straight.

This will help.

No DR works in the cold and is dangerous. NT05R was crap compared to M/T in the summer on my car. I ran a M/T 305/45/18 on stock 9.5" wheels with no issues for a year. A 305 is a good choice. I now run a 305/35/19 M/T but not in the cold. The additional contact patch over a 285 is superior.

Suspension upgrades will help launch/60' traction but will not fix your traction in higher gears. A Torsen Diff will help. The cold is your problem.

Best bet for safety is to drive a winter beater car. :beer:

YELL03

Established Member
This will help.

No DR works in the cold and is dangerous. NT05R was crap compared to M/T in the summer on my car. I ran a M/T 305/45/18 on stock 9.5" wheels with no issues for a year. A 305 is a good choice. I now run a 305/35/19 M/T but not in the cold. The additional contact patch over a 285 is superior.

Suspension upgrades will help launch/60' traction but will not fix your traction in higher gears. A Torsen Diff will help. The cold is your problem.

Best bet for safety is to drive a winter beater car. :beer:

This is what confuses me....

I know a lot of guys run 305s on a 9.5" rim, but I also hear it is unsafe and I need at least a 10" rim.

This would be the easy play, just throw 305s on my stock rims in the summer.

Heck, I'd even get All-seasons in 305s if they make them.

As for a winter beater, to be honest, as long as I drive sensibly my car on the Michelin A/S 3s is as good as anything I have ever driven in rain or cold weather, obviously I won't drive it in the snow unless I get caught in quick 1/2" that wasn't expected.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
This is what confuses me....

I know a lot of guys run 305s on a 9.5" rim, but I also hear it is unsafe and I need at least a 10" rim.

It is a common practice that did not compromise contact patch on stock wheels. They looked good (see picture link). What might happen that makes you worry? You can have the tire installer use tack compound on the seal but I did not.

th_SideView_zps79de1e71-1.jpg
"]
th_SideView_zps79de1e71-1.jpg
[/URL]

Fuerig

Established Member
So many winter/summer problems. Just move to Florida with me... worse case 45 degree temps in the dead of winter on a cold night and 65 for the high temp during the day. #NorthernAlaskanProblems #YukonLifeMustBeHardForRacecar :)

YELL03

Established Member
So many winter/summer problems. Just move to Florida with me... worse case 45 degree temps in the dead of winter on a cold night and 65 for the high temp during the day. #NorthernAlaskanProblems #YukonLifeMustBeHardForRacecar :)

I was thinking that when I was cruising around yesterday.
I just have to be smart and not get baited in to any confrontations with lower horsepower cars until the weather warms up, for my safety and those around me.

I don't street race, but I will do a quick pull for a couple of seconds to let them know what I've got.

Fuerig

Established Member
I was thinking that when I was cruising around yesterday.
I just have to be smart and not get baited in to any confrontations with lower horsepower cars until the weather warms up, for my safety and those around me.

I don't street race, but I will do a quick pull for a couple of seconds to let them know what I've got.

When I was younger I saw a car weaving in and out of traffic behind me on the interstate at about 11pm. I figured the car was a sports car trying to find some open room to run. I looked in my rear view and saw that the guy was finally ahead of the traffic and was closing in on me. The driver swapped to the right lane and crept on me like he was about to do a flyby... I downshifted and let it rip. I ran up to about 120mph to show the guy what was up. The guy pulled in behind me after pacing me and turned on his blue lights. Just so happened to be a off duty state trooper trying to get home. He wrote me a 105 in a 65!! Lawyer charged me about $2500 and it was resolved. Life lesson learned.

YELL03

Established Member
When I was younger I saw a car weaving in and out of traffic behind me on the interstate at about 11pm. I figured the car was a sports car trying to find some open room to run. I looked in my rear view and saw that the guy was finally ahead of the traffic and was closing in on me. The driver swapped to the right lane and crept on me like he was about to do a flyby... I downshifted and let it rip. I ran up to about 120mph to show the guy what was up. The guy pulled in behind me after pacing me and turned on his blue lights. Just so happened to be a off duty state trooper trying to get home. He wrote me a 105 in a 65!! Lawyer charged me about $2500 and it was resolved. Life lesson learned.

expensive lesson

Users who are viewing this thread