Need Your Opinion Re: 2004 Terminator (please)

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Hello Guys (and ladies),

I love my 2011 GT, and would not trade it not for anything except a 2012 Boss or Shelby GT500. However, one of the best Mustangs I have owned was my 2004 Cobra. I sold it a few years ago, but have always had the desire to potentially buy another one. Earlier in the week I came across this add:

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe in DENVER, CO 80249: Coupe Details - 302307163 - AutoTrader.com

I spoke with the owner, and he told me that he is the original owner, car has always been garaged, no mods, never abused, never in any accident, paint & interior 100% flawless.

I love everything about the car, however it appears to me that with only 8,500 miles and in the pristine condition it appears to be, that at $17,000 is too low of a price. Thus I wonder if this is one of those cases - too good to be true? I have looked at many similar Terminators and all of them are in the mid to high $20Ks. The lowest comparable Terminator I have located was $22,000 - which I thought was already a great deal. Just a bit concerned and skeptical . . . . BTW, I do not have the VIN #.

What do you think? I appreciate all your comments, and thank you ahead of time.

Have a great Sunday!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Looks like a kinda rough 8,500 miles from those pictures. But don't be afraid of a car just because the owner has it priced reasonably (some of the people on here think they own a 1 of 1).

FWIW, a local man had an '03 Cobra convertible with 7k miles for sale at $21k and moved it in a day!

Crimson2v

Established Member
In the first picture the right side of the hood does not look like it is lined up correctly, I wonder if the hood was popped open or it was closed and it has been wrecked? That is a killer price for the car, I would be skeptical too.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
In the first picture the right side of the hood does not look like it is lined up correctly, I wonder if the hood was popped open or it was closed and it has been wrecked? That is a killer price for the car, I would be skeptical too.

I noticed the hood also. That car is kinda filthy for 8500 miles. Why have you not gotten then VIN?

oldmodman

Established Member
Bite the bullet, buy a ticket and fly out to see the car.

If it's as described pay the man and drive it home. But hit an oil change shop on the way out of town. Stay out of boost as much as possible until you get home, just in case.

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. I did notice the hood but thought it had been pooped open as he was snapping pics. I agree with the fact that the engine bay is filthy, and there are holes on the front bumper from the plate (easy fix). As for the mileage, the owner did verify it on the phone. I have requested the VIN to run a check as you guys suggested. May be a great deal or a bad apple in disguise. If the car checks ok on a VIN check, and I end up buying it, I will fix the holes on the front bumper, buy new wheels and totally detail the car. I'll let you know how it unfolds. Thanks again for your help.

Planter

Banned
if you go out there, stop by an Advanced Auto and have them hook up their OBD-II scanner to check for codes (some people remove the bulbs to hide the SES light)

Also have Advanced Auto do a full system charging test on the alternator and battery. They do 'em for free and they'll give you a print out of the results. Takes 5 minutes to do both tests and will save you major headache.

if you buy it, have some emergency money if a battery, or alternator or starter does fail, or some other component fails.

wouldn't hurt to run it by a shop and have them pop the rear diff cover and inspect everything in there and then refill it. inspect the rest of the undercarriage for oil leaks and stuff. check ALL of the fluids. coolant, oil, brake fluid, p/s fluid. and as stated get the oil changed on your way out of town if you buy it.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
if you get the vin # pm I can run report through ford for you. Your right the hoods popping in the picture. Look good just a car that sat alot and the guy never popped open the hood to clean it. The only time he opened the hood is when other people changed the oil... I guess thats a good thing

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Scam from what I gathered, I emailed on the car and the guy said you can pay him via Amazon payments...just a real sketchy type of deal. I deleted the email...

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Wasn't this on Craigslist recently too? I remember seeing a similar thread, but the CL posting was yanked pretty quickly.

Regardless, it's way too good to be true, so it's surely a scam.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
that car will be gone before you can get a plane ticket if its legit.

8k mi priced at $17k, unless its scratched and dented to hell itll move quick.

THE_STIG

Established Member
For a 7 year old Mustang I'd say $17,000 is a bit high but compared to what some other retards charge for these cars, that's a good price.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
The ad looks similar to the scams I see frequently on Craigslist. The sentence "The supercharged 4.6 Liter V-8 and 6 speed transmission are in great working condition and there are no mechanical issues" is repeated, and the seller is unable to spell "wear". Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but it looks like BS to me. If it is legit, you've found an incredible deal.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I say throw the guy from Denver that posted in here some money for his time and have him check it out first hand.

I smell scam though...just seems "off"

Sapperstang

Established Member
It is probably legit if you called and spoke to someone. I agree it is filthy. The hood is obviously popped.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For a 7 year old Mustang I'd say $17,000 is a bit high but compared to what some other retards charge for these cars, that's a good price.

$17K for a 2004 Cobra (not just a Mustang) with 8,500 miles is a bit high? Stig, you're either joking or you aren't aware of the market for these cars. It's not what people charge, it's what people are willing to pay. If this is legit, it is way below market. And a definite steal.

Users who are viewing this thread