Netflix raises prices once again!

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
From my email:

"We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

***Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
***Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team"

How do you guys feel about this?

Looks like I'll be going with the 7.99 streaming plan and stick with redbox DVD rentals. There are not many good streaming choices but there's a ton of stuff that my 3 year old likes to see, and alot of tv episodes by the seasons.

I guess their licensing costs and what not are getting really expensive.

Last edited:

70Maverick

Established Member
Simple Economics 101. Same as Wal Mart. They start out willing to lose money and once everyone else (Blockbuster, other chains and pop video stores) is gone. The price goes up.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
yea this is the 3rd price hike i have experienced with them. 1st was blu ray price hike then a general one now this.. i am not sure how i will handle it. Each time they have done it though i end up spending less.. 1st i dropped blu ray.. not spending 4.00/mth for it.. it was worth it for 1.00/mth. 2nd i reduced my dvds out. now i will most likely drop streaming.. if they had current stuff on streaming that would be one thing.. but the only time i go to streaming is late night intoxicated watching.. and i have a dvd collection around 40 that i could hit up instead. . .

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
wait, what?
$15.99?
I'm paying $18.99. Maybe its the blu-ray option I have. Was this an email or on the home page?

ZFan88

Established Member
am I the only person that doesn't use netflix?

So why post in the Netflix thread? lol

I was paying 12.99/mo for 1 bluray out at a time and unlimited streaming. I think it's kinda ridiculous to make that drastic of a price change, so I will be going with streaming only since I watch a ton of tv shows and movies on there. If it goes over 10/mo for just streaming, I will then get rid of Netflix.

04Machsy

Established Member
Use to use netflix then dropped it because I stopped watching the movies. If there is anything I want to see I usually use redbox

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
were already paying $14.99 for 2 DVD's and streaming. Itll go up to $19.99 for the same.

Still cheaper than redbox. Last time I checked, redbox doesnt have very good of a selection either and it sure in the hell didnt have any TV shows.

Might look into a megaupload account, I think theyre what, like $9 for unlimited downloads and you get way better transfer speeds than torrents and its actually legit (IE you arent doing anything illegal).

I wouldnt be surprised if this is a way for the bean counters at netflix to force a business decision on the execs to choose whether or not to continue physical media distribution or go full on online streaming. If they see a huge spike in people ditching DVD's and going to just streaming......theyll have their answer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread