Netflix raises prices once again!

crankin

Established Member
Simple Economics 101. Same as Wal Mart. They start out willing to lose money and once everyone else (Blockbuster, other chains and pop video stores) is gone. The price goes up.

i didnt learn about predatory pricing untill Econ 351...

snake134

Simple Economics 101. Same as Wal Mart. They start out willing to lose money and once everyone else (Blockbuster, other chains and pop video stores) is gone. The price goes up.

i didnt learn about predatory pricing untill Econ 351...

yeah it's more like business 101 rather than econ.....but we see your point

65fastback2+2

Established Member
this is why I cancelled it over a year ago.

We only use Vudu now. Good selection + HD + 5.1 surround = win

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Going DVD only until I find a streaming service that I like. 30% increase is for the birds. F off Netflix.............. 5 years subscriber going away.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I ditched DVDs a LONG time ago, when they first changed their price point. Nothing's changing on my end. :banana:

I mostly use it as peripheral entertainment for when there's nothing else to watch and also for the kids, since their collection of kid-watchable shows and movies are vast.

thomas91169: You should look into UseNext. I've been subscribing to them for years now, and never has it [and the legions of usenet'ters behind it] failed me. I can almost peg my bandwidth (20 Mbps) and download at 18-19 Mbps with their server. I can DL an 8GB HD movie in about an hour.

For proof, here's me DL'ing a movie as I'm posting this:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
thomas91169: You should look into UseNext. I've been subscribing to them for years now, and never has it [and the legions of usenet'ters behind it] failed me. I can almost peg my bandwidth (20 Mbps) and download at 18-19 Mbps with their server. I can DL an 8GB HD movie in about an hour.

:eek:

Stangracer44t

Established Member
this sucks! Looks like I will be going to streaming only. I only get 3-4 dvd's a month because I dont watch them right away.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I ditched DVDs a LONG time ago, when they first changed their price point. Nothing's changing on my end. :banana:

I mostly use it as peripheral entertainment for when there's nothing else to watch and also for the kids, since their collection of kid-watchable shows and movies are vast.

I used giganews. I stay at a constant 3.6 megabytes a second (30-35/25mps connection). I let me subscription run out but I will get it again. I've been using torrents lately because I'm also hitting around 3 mega a second on download. 1gig file is easily 4 minutes maybe to download.

RedFord96

Established Member
This price hike is very disappointing news. I'm not paying 60% more for the same service. At least they were good enough to make it very public instead of putting it in the fine print. I was able to justify the $10 price on streaming AND one DVD at a time, since I don't watch that much, but $8 for just half of the service is insane given the original price.

I'm definitely canceling my account before this goes into effect.

Planter

Banned
saw the article on MSN, and I just cancelled my membership.

I'm gonna go with Blockbuster's mail service.

they have better selection, more readily available.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
is it really not that obvious? you notice that unlimited streaming is still dirt cheap, right? why do you think that is? they want everyone to switch over to streaming because there is a much larger profit margin vs DVDs/blu-rays. give it time, they'll slowly eliminate the physical media option because it simply makes business sense. frankly, i don't know why anyone would want a physical media option from netflix anyways when you have to wait a few days to get it in. at that point, it's time to fire up utorrent! lol

65fastback2+2

Established Member
frankly, i don't know why anyone would want a physical media option from netflix anyways when you have to wait a few days to get it in. at that point, it's time to fire up utorrent! lol

when we had it i did it so i could get bluray

bluray > *

txyaloo

Established Member
I used giganews. I stay at a constant 3.6 megabytes a second (30-35/25mps connection). I let me subscription run out but I will get it again. I've been using torrents lately because I'm also hitting around 3 mega a second on download. 1gig file is easily 4 minutes maybe to download.

The problem with torrents is movie companies actively look for downloaders. Since Usenet is decentralized, there is no way to know who is downloading what. You should probably change services. I've been with easynews since 13 years. I'm always able to max out my pipe through their service, plus their web based search/download utility is hard to beat.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I had Netflix for about a year, the selection was very poor. I used it maybe 3 or 4 times in that year because there was never anything good. I think the only videos I watched were older Godzilla movies, haha. I now have AppleTV and am a member of a pretty good torrent community, much better way to go IMO, at least for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread