New AFCO Harness Install

Bulldogger

Established Member
Basically the new harness install uses a different location for install of the new dual relay and fuse holder positions. After removing the front bumper and removing the old harness, you will begin to install the new harness. The dual relay will now be located underneath the passanger side headlight.
See picture 1.
100_2749.jpg

Next will be the locations of the two fuse holders. AFCO's directions have you placing both fuse's on the passenger side of the Fuse box on the two bolts that mount the fuse box to the fender. On my car it was to tight and you wouldn't be able to check the fuses very easily. I found it easier to mount one on the front of the fuse panel and the other on the side bolt which is the same location that AFCO states to place both.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Side location
100_2747.jpg

After this, you reattach your orange signal wire to the white wire on the pump. Then mount the two power supply wires in the same location inside the fuse box. Then reattatch the bumper and your done.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
David, you can eliminate the redundant tags before and after your photos. I'm not sure if you knew that or if you noticed that they were showing up.

Are you using the supplied 30 amp fuses or have you substituted 15 amp fuses?

Bulldogger

Established Member
David, you can eliminate the redundant tags before and after your photos. I'm not sure if you knew that or if you noticed that they were showing up.

Are you using the supplied 30 amp fuses or have you substituted 15 amp fuses?[/quote]

Swapping them out for 15amps. Don't actually have any larger style fuses. Harness was pretty nice, I like the fact that they use the weather tight ends and put it all in wire loom.

kent1

Established Member
Swapping them out for 15amps. Don't actually have any larger style fuses. Harness was pretty nice, I like the fact that they use the weather tight ends and put it all in wire loom.

Can you please post the phone number or link to show where or how to purchase or receive the wiring harness? Thanks for the pictures. I want to update mine to prevent problems down the road. Your assistance is appreciated.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Can you please post the phone number or link to show where or how to purchase or receive the wiring harness? Thanks for the pictures. I want to update mine to prevent problems down the road. Your assistance is appreciated.

Sure thing here you go:

Steve Barnes
Customer Service Manager
A-FAB, LLC
P.O. Box 548
Boonville, IN 47601
Ph: 800-632-2320 x6229
Fax: 800-319-2551
Email: [email protected]
AFCO Racing: Shocks, Springs, Cooling, Brakes

DaFreak

Established Member
Nice job Bulldogger. I am currently in process of the install and seriously considering mounting the relays in the engine bay somewhere. I'm not sure if I can live with having to pull the front clip to check the relays (should I need to).

Bulldogger,

Did you consider doing this? Also, you did not mention connecting the ground wires. I hope you did that.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Nice job Bulldogger. I am currently in process of the install and seriously considering mounting the relays in the engine bay somewhere. I'm not sure if I can live with having to pull the front clip to check the relays (should I need to).

Don't worry about it Freak!

I mounted my relays on Super Snake #1 when we did the beta test with Shelby in February 2009. Still working.................Ooops. Am I allowed to post in this thread? LOL :beer:

The revised relay appears to be better than previous and you should be just fine with the way Bulldogger showcased based on my experience. For what its worth! LOL :rockon:

DaFreak

Established Member
Don't worry about it Freak!

I mounted my relays on Super Snake #1 when we did the beta test with Shelby in February 2009. Still working.................Ooops. Am I allowed to post in this thread? LOL :beer:

The revised relay appears to be better than previous and you should be just fine with the way Bulldogger showcased based on my experience. For what its worth! LOL :rockon:

Thanks Van!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hi Tob,

Sorry I don't remember the logic behind doing this, can you explain?

Thanks,

JT, I talked to Van about this very subject. I'll defer to his expertise on the subject as I wouldn't want to mislead. Van, if you could...

Bulldogger

Established Member

Bulldogger,

Did you consider doing this? Also, you did not mention connecting the ground wires. I hope you did that.

Sorry signal wire, power wires, and grounds are all hooked up in the same loaction as original harness.
You might be able to hook them up in the engine bay, you would have to look around. Remeber AFCO is giving you a pre-made harness so you will be more limited as the relays are next to each other. If you want to do a custom style run then you really need two Kits from Van. Then you can mount them where ever you want. His kit had alot of extra wires. I packed the relays with die electric grease, add that to the weather tight connectors I think it should be fine. If you're set on inside the engine compartment look for a spot near the headlight on the passenger side and you will be fine with their harness.

DaFreak

Established Member
Well, I went a slightly different route with the relays and fuse holders. I decided to mount the relays (back to back) using the windshield fluid reservoir screw. They fit nicely and I just have to pull the splash guard (not the front clip) to get to them.

DSC02717.jpg

Then I mounted the fuse holders using the relay box box screws (slimilar to bulldogger). A tight fit but a litter easier to get to the fuses.

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02716.jpg

I replaced the 30amp fuses with 20's as that was all I had on hand. Let me know if you think this will be an issue.

:beer:

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
I toasted my harness. Checked with Van and we found the problem in swift time. Add me to the list of another AFCO harness failure. Funny I had already touched base with Steve Barnes (AFCO) when the failure occured. So hopefully I'll get a replacement harness quickly.
Thanks go out to Van for his quick response to troubleshoot...I emailed him and in minutes we were working issue. Fantastic customer service once again.
Thanks Van!

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I toasted my harness. Checked with Van and we found the problem in swift time. Add me to the list of another AFCO harness failure. Funny I had already touched base with Steve Barnes (AFCO) when the failure occured. So hopefully I'll get a replacement harness quickly.
Thanks go out to Van for his quick response to troubleshoot...I emailed him and in minutes we were working issue. Fantastic customer service once again.
Thanks Van!

glad you caught it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Van!

Was the harness damaged in the same area as the others we have seen?

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
Yes - Same place as others. I checked the fuse, it was good. Unplugged the harness and lower right sleeve was burned. Contacted Steve and he said replacement harness would be shipped later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread