New Build 4.6L/Teksid/10.5:1/Cams/2.8 Mammoth/E85

lucheski

Established Member
Looks a bit like mine.

Curious what closed spring seat pressure is, along with open seat pressure with .550 lift cams. Seems like there would be a lot of pressure on the cam caps and stress on the chains, depending on where the seat pressures fall.

I like the .003 oversized piston and matching overbore to round stuff up. Nice!

Thanks! I was actually inspired by your build several years ago and is part of the reason I wanted to up the compression, I even wanted to go higher than 10.6:1 but the engine builder didn't want to do a dome piston.
Regarding the cams..I called the engine builder also talked to tech at comp cams regarding the this custom grind they are not 550 lift...these are the exact specs they sent

cam-specs_zps6bgkzdsb.png

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Love the build, so many similarities. Interested in how things hold up as you get running. Specifically your lower pulley setup. Ever since going high compression with cams and other mods I seem to destroy and break my lower pulley about every 400 miles. My 2.9 Whipple has a lot of inertia and rotating mass to speed up and down very rapidly and driving the car hard with lots of up and down shifting etc. really takes a beating on that lower pulley.
I imagine your KB 2.8 will be a similar load. In for some long term driving results.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Love the build, so many similarities. Interested in how things hold up as you get running. Specifically your lower pulley setup. Ever since going high compression with cams and other mods I seem to destroy and break my lower pulley about every 400 miles. My 2.9 Whipple has a lot of inertia and rotating mass to speed up and down very rapidly and driving the car hard with lots of up and down shifting etc. really takes a beating on that lower pulley.
I imagine your KB 2.8 will be a similar load. In for some long term driving results.

+1. Not to hijack as this is all relevant. I have a similar build in the works. I was dead set on a 2.9L Whipple until people started reporting issues breaking lower pulleys like you have. I'm nearly positive I'll be going with a 2.3L Whipple instead. I'm very curious on the longevity of your stock lower pulley Lucheski.

Malcolm How has Mike's (CJ428Mach) lower pulley held up for you so far?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
+1. Not to hijack as this is all relevant. I have a similar build in the works. I was dead set on a 2.9L Whipple until people started reporting issues breaking lower pulleys like you have. I'm nearly positive I'll be going with a 2.3L Whipple instead. I'm very curious on the longevity of your stock lower pulley Lucheski.

Malcolm How has Mike's (CJ428Mach) lower pulley held up for you so far?

I don't want to clutter this build thread so we can have another thread at some point with pics and discussion. In summary the car/blower is so hard on things in 400 miles it broke the locking hub, ruined the bushings and was in process of stripping the tri-bar threads. That was on the stock lower... not even the custom 4 lb lower installed yet. Only the locking hub to test how it'll hold things together.

The high compression and very rapid RPM changes that come with it are far harder on the lower than I ever realized it would be when spinning a blower as big as the 2.9. Prior to that my 2.9 would ruin the bushings in the lower but it would take a summer to do. Since the new motor it's tearing up lowers every few hundred miles. I'm in process of putting together my 5th lower combo and using a special, stronger, locking hub Sam and Mike have come up with for me. If this breaks I have no choice but to give up the 2.9 and move to a smaller blower.

lucheski

Established Member
I don't want to clutter this build thread so we can have another thread at some point with pics and discussion. In summary the car/blower is so hard on things in 400 miles it broke the locking hub, ruined the bushings and was in process of stripping the tri-bar threads. That was on the stock lower... not even the custom 4 lb lower installed yet. Only the locking hub to test how it'll hold things together.

The high compression and very rapid RPM changes that come with it are far harder on the lower than I ever realized it would be when spinning a blower as big as the 2.9. Prior to that my 2.9 would ruin the bushings in the lower but it would take a summer to do. Since the new motor it's tearing up lowers every few hundred miles. I'm in process of putting together my 5th lower combo and using a special, stronger, locking hub Sam and Mike have come up with for me. If this breaks I have no choice but to give up the 2.9 and move to a smaller blower.

What style tensioner are you using

65fastback289

Established Member

very interesting. has me thinking about switching to a 2.3l tvs as well if i begin to have problems. i havent destroyed a lower yet but have seen a lot of failures from guys with similar setups.

lucheski, those cams will perform well. i dont think you would notice the difference in lift and its higher than the recommended .475.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
very interesting. has me thinking about switching to a 2.3l tvs as well if i begin to have problems. i havent destroyed a lower yet but have seen a lot of failures from guys with similar setups.

Yeah I already spoke to VMP about getting a TVS 2.3. I'm at my last possible option with the 2.9. If this latest lower setup breaks I'll step down to a TVS and hope my lowers live.

lucheski, those cams will perform well. i dont think you would notice the difference in lift and its higher than the recommended .475.

As long as you have the valve springs lift shouldn't be a problem. I run .480 on both intake and exhaust.

65fastback289

Established Member
i hope it works out for you Malcolm. if not, it would be cool to see how a max effort 2.3tvs build does.

okay, back on track to lucheski's build thread :)

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Why not just pulley it for less power so then you stop breaking things lol?? Seems to make the most sense to me vise spending more money on a different blower.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
i hope it works out for you Malcolm. if not, it would be cool to see how a max effort 2.3tvs build does.

okay, back on track to lucheski's build thread :)

VMP said they won't warranty the TVS with a 4 lb lower and a 2.5 upper spun to the max but they believe the blower will take it :)

Why not just pulley it for less power so then you stop breaking things lol?? Seems to make the most sense to me vise spending more money on a different blower.

This is before even installing Mike's 4 lb lower. Four stock lowers broken. Same pulley combo I was running on the prior motor. This 5th and final attempt is using Mike's 4 lb lower with a different design locking hub, almost solid bushings they're so strong.
The problem is not how its pullied but rather the very rapid changing RPMs and the amount of inertia to speed up and down with a big blower.

I hope the OP doesn't have these issues. Back to his build thread :)

03Steve

Established Member
That's a 106360 cam spec with .20 extra on the intake and .45 on the exhaust. It should work well if the combination of parts doesn't put too much pressure on the springs and chains.

There are multiple 8 second TVS cars now with 4.6, 5.0, and 5.4 engine combinations. They can make plenty of power.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Hey Malcolm, what pulley combination are you using with the 2.9L Whipple the is causing issues? I'm just curious because I've been running a 3.0 with a stock lower with no issues couple thousand miles. I hope I am not in for a surprise.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hey Malcolm, what pulley combination are you using with the 2.9L Whipple the is causing issues? I'm just curious because I've been running a 3.0 with a stock lower with no issues couple thousand miles. I hope I am not in for a surprise.

Stock lower and 3" upper. On the stock(ish) long block it worked great. About once a year it would eventually squash down the bushings in the lower pulley but it took time. Once I built a new motor with high compression, cams, ported heads etc. that had amazingly crisp throttle response and wrapped RPMs so quickly is when everything went down hill with the lower.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Ok I see... Yeah I'm on a stock build....

How come your sticking with a blower and not going the turbo route? Just curious... obviously the motor you built can handle tremendous boost.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ok I see... Yeah I'm on a stock build....

How come your sticking with a blower and not going the turbo route? Just curious... obviously the motor you built can handle tremendous boost.

I already have two TT cars. I like the Cobra been a blower car for now :) They're both fun to drive in their own way. Maybe someday turbos because a blower at these levels on this car is quite the headache at times.

lucheski

Established Member
Had to make a custom mount for the throttle cable alignment bracket did not fit since the fitting for the return line is now in the way.
20160727_124931_zpsnq70thcn.jpg

Kennebell Monoblade TB installed
20160726_132222_zpsohigjn1w.jpg

Regulator is installed, needed a custom bracket also. Had to move the IAC and mount it here on a AN fitting
20160727_125019_zps5157ekii.jpg

20160727_125027_zpsaaw8er7b.jpg

Pretty cool racecar at the shop
20160727_125824_zpssy6bqlxs.jpg

20160727_125804_zpsjezrugro.jpg

20160727_125738_zpsvanqzit7.jpg

First fillup on E85 :coolman:
20160727_153920_zpsfnuyb7jw.jpg

I had to run over to leathal performance today to get the division X Hat for the dual 465 pumps...Thanks to Matt@lethal for excellent service...the Original Forehat would not give enough clearance..and would bottom out the pumps. The division X hat worked great with the two 465s
20160727_161539_zpswwou4qld.jpg

Got the proper fitting for breather tank...previous owner had it jimmy rigged SMH
20160727_161814_zpsaopnaeng.jpg

Got the lines ran to Regulator from Tank
20160727_170140_zpsrpu5ctmn.jpg

20160727_170150_zps6cc63l7s.jpg

20160727_170209_zps6fns5e7g.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread