New Car Break In Advice

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
What is the proper way to break in the engine on the 5.0L. Iv heard about not going the same speed for a long time and not revving pasted so and so RPM. What is the official answer to this?

Second, what are the proper oil change intervals and what oil do I use before using full synthetic? I head 500 miles change the oil. The 1k change the oil.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Drive it like you stole it. IIRC the motor should have already been broke in before you bought it. As for oil changing intervals consult your owners manual.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Drive it like you stole it. IIRC the motor should have already been broke in before you bought it. As for oil changing intervals consult your owners manual.

heat cycle a couple times varying the rpm and then beat the hell outta it.

Just took my new engine down the track this weekend 7 times with 30 miles on her!

:)

chrisheltra

Established Member

642197m.jpg

bssmith1220

Established Member
I always heard "drive it like its gonna be driven"...therefore I agree with everyone else.

PhantomX

Established Member
Had mine at the track with 550 miles on it. Put it to the floor on the test drive! Nowadays the motors are run in before they get installed to seat the rings, etc that and technology has advanced so far over the past 20 years in engine building. No worries drive it like ya stole it!

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Do not see anything in the 2011 book about doing a 500 mile oil change or anything. It's just says the oil change interval is every 10k miles.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
i wont do the first oil change until way after 500 miles. seems like most people who did the 500 change had a really loud tapping noise and had to goto ford to get the breakin additive put back in the oil. there is a couple threads over the net about it.

Wait til 5000 atleast, Drive the shit outta mine and it has 7000 almost on original oil.

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
I believe the only real thing to stay away from is repeated WOT runs for the first 100 miles and extensive trips running at the same RPMs for the first 1000 miles. Long trips you would want to vary the RPMs every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread