New clutch installed...questions.

Jukens

Established Member
Had to install a new clutch on my blown 5.0 as the stock was slipping quite a bit. Picked up the exedy stage 3 and spec billet steel flywheel. Had helluva time getting the transmission to mount up as the alignment tool with the exedy clutch did not fit the pilot bearing anywhere near snuggly. Anyways after all said and done I pumped the clutch pedal until it had pressure all the way to the top. The clutch is engaging like an inch from the floor and causing a bit of stiffness to get into first gear at times. From what I read there is no pedal adjustment and was curious is this normal. Should it get better with time? Also mine never threw a code requiring a ckp sensor relearn. Does it take time/miles before it throws codes?

Last edited:

BPatterson

Established Member
The code will come shortly. Gotta put a few miles on it. Also, as you put more miles on it, your pressure plate should loosen up a little bit, and your release point should come up a little.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
You can pull a vacuum on top of the brake mc to get air bubbles out or just pump the clutch about 100 times, making sure the pedal comes all the way up when doing so.
The relearn, might get lucky or might not, it varies.

stang910

Established Member
I didn't figure out I needed a relearn for a few hundred miles. I had to be above 4000 rpm for a couple seconds for the code to trip and then it would go into failsafe mode. As for the pedal engaging and disengaging low causing hard shifts you might need to shim your TOB.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I didn't figure out I needed a relearn for a few hundred miles. I had to be above 4000 rpm for a couple seconds for the code to trip and then it would go into failsafe mode. As for the pedal engaging and disengaging low causing hard shifts you might need to shim your TOB.

What do u mean shim the tob I've heard of this and mine gives me trouble some times putting it into first heard this was the cure. How would I go about doing this?

stang910

Established Member
When you install an aftermarket flywheel or pressure plate it can change the depth of where the TOB contacts the pressure plate. Sounds like the fingers on the pressure plate are sitting closer to the engine which in turn means your TOB has to travel farther to disengage the clutch. It's basically running out of extension to disengage the clutch completely which will cause hard shifts, mostly noticeable in first and reverse since the car isn't in motion for those gears. The fix is to move the TOB closer to the clutch which is what the shims are for. They go behind the TOB and come in different sizes so you can get the correct depth.

Jukens

Established Member
Any links on where to get shims? Would the exedy tob fix this?

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I just don't get it tho?? During the 500 mile break in period never had a problem putting into any gear. Then when I started getting on it, I started noticing while I'm stopped at a light or somewhere when I press the clutch and try to put it in first it won't let it in. I can force it but it goes in rough. Only in first very rare does it happen in reverse but has happened. At WOT shifts perfect everytime

Jukens

Established Member
Easy test is to put it into first while holding the clutch pedal to the floor slowly rev it to 6k or so and if the car starts moving then it needs to be adjusted.

Jukens

Established Member
Spoke with American muscle and they were no help, just gave me exedys number. Spoke with exedy and they said to be sure the air is bled from the tob by using a vacuum pump. Went a bought one and did it by the book and its still engaging/ disengaging too close to the floor making it hard getting into first from a stop. Going to be upset if I have to drop the transmission again to shim or replace the tob when it was working fine with the stock clutch. Anyone have any other ideas?

Jukens

Established Member
Just an update. After about 400 miles on the clutch the engagement has gotten better day after day and now is like stock. So it either needed to be broke in a bit (clutch and tob) or there was still air in the tob. Very happy overall. The bite is like factory but the holding power is way more.

Jukens

Established Member
Yes shifting into 1st and reverse is no longer an issue. Installed a steel braided clutch line today too and it feels even better.

Users who are viewing this thread