New Dyno #s from Evolution

johnjon87

Established Member
it's a good bet. Michael had 8 sets done including mine. i was curious as to what profile John had.

Ive have asked but they're exclusive to evo and I know they don't want me telling others their specs. I do understand that, thats how you make money, and I trust them to make a sick set of cams that will work. Im pretty sure they come out of Michaels shop but who designs the specs, I don't know exactly, I would imagine its a something that Jon, Michael, and evo all do together

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
what motor was in the car (and did it have an issue?) that you are going to a L&M?

johnjon87

Established Member
what motor was in the car (and did it have an issue?) that you are going to a L&M?

I came to Evolution last May thinking it was just going to be a one time thing. The shop I was at down here in NOVA (Springfield Motorsport/American High Performance ((when I left)) had advised me to buy a Livernois Iron Block, because they were "the best". They told me that the block would be more than I would ever need. Being a novice to the whole building motor thing, I agreed and ordered the block at the end of April. I then paid extra to get it in by the beginning of May, I wanted the project to be done by the Ocean City Muscle Week Meet(the last week of May) and this way the shop would have a months time to work on it, in case anything went wrong.

So 3 weeks into May they asked me to go to a show for them, which I agreed to go. When I got there, I pulled into the indoor lot next to Rick(the owner of Springfield Motorsport/American High Performance) one of the guys working the show gives me a slip saying I gotta pay 25$

Now 1st of all, I didn't know the show was judged. It was borderline embarrassing because I hadn't planned for it to be in a full fledged judged show, so I barely washed the car the night before.

2nd I had no idea I had to pay to get in, I was just asked by the shop, to bring the car. So when I walk over to the table, I told Rick I didn't have any money, because I didn't know to bring any cash. He looks at me and says well I think there's an ATM at the gas station across the street!?:shrug:Are you kidding me!? I'm here for his shop and at a judged show I dont really care to be at and now I'm suppose to pay to show my car for him?:nono:

So I go to the ATM get out 25$ come back, pay, and put the sticker on my car. I then walk around the show, look at all the cars, talk to some guys, then walk back to my car and start to chat with rick about my new project.

We then begun to discuss what I wanted to do with the block. I told him that I wanted it done by Ocean City, which was like 3-4 weeks away. I asked when should I bring the car in the next week? He said that he doubted it would be done by then, and that I should wait for the 1st month of June because of another project going on in the shop.

So basically I was to wait on my project because the ONE and ONLY car being worked on in their shop(that they had already built before)had blown up in November, and they had been waiting 6 months for pistons and they finally came in about the same time my short block did. A job that they didn't even do in the shop, they had another shop put the short block together and the car was just sitting there on a lift.

So now I'm thinking I paid extra for shipping for no reason, and the block has sat on the floor now for 2-3 weeks and they're not even doing anything but waiting on the other shop to assemble the block!! Why couldn't they just put my block together while they were waiting on the other one to be assembled?! Even through all this I just kinda swallowed it all, shut up, and said ok, well.. I guess I just gotta wait....

So now (PLOT THICKENS) since their old shop(Springfield Motorsport) had just filed bankruptcy, and they had to leave there old shop with their dyno. (They now had to partner up with another shop about 45 minutes away from them for tuning) So I brought up to Rick that when they finally got around to the build and got everything assembled, I would like for them to trailer my car to their new dyno. I even said if need be I'll be willing to get a trailer and do it myself. Rick told me no, that they would install the new block in their shop and then drive it 45mins to the dyno to have it tuned and it would be fine?!

So finally I tell him I don't think its a good Idea and he said well we'll talk about it later. So now I brought up that since I had a built motor now I would like to swap down to a smaller pulley and try to get my #'s up to around 1000 hp. He then looked at me, shocked, and told me that it wasn't a good idea. He thought the agreement was that they would throw some race gas in there and pulley it down so they could make 1000 for ONE run! Then they would tune it back down to 800 flywheel "where its safe" I said well whats the point of having a built motor? and he said well because you have insurance and that 800flywheel was pushing it on a stock motor, so now I wouldn't have to worry. So basically I was paying him to do what he wanted to do with the car, didn't receive a discount for promoting his shop, and paid double the labor!???

I finally called Evolution before Ocean City and talked to Fred who then heard this story... I asked if it would be possible for it to be completed by Ocean City (2 weeks away) and he told me that he couldn't guarantee it but they would do their best.

So now that I had to go get the block from the shop here, I called and told them I was going to get Evo to do the work since they were too busy, and that Id be there within the next day or 2 to pick it up. I got a call back later that night from Rick telling me that he heard I was going to take the block up to Evolution and that if I had to have it done for Ocean City they would get it done??.. Hmm so now I thought even though all the shit I've been through maybe hell get it done and maybe everything will be ok. We had become friends throughout the time I had been at the shop so I felt bad about leaving but I knew in my heart it was the right thing to do.

So finally I get my block and I'm ready to get this thing in the car. Only problem now was.. I couldn't drive the car up to PA because the clutch Rick told me to buy(the RST) wasn't enough to handle the power. We had just put on the new KB a few months before and after driving it 4 months, the clutch was toast! So now Ii had to go to Uhaul rent a trailer and trailer the car up there.

Luckily it was all worth it... When we got up there Chuck helped us get the car off the trailer and on to a lift in less than 5-10 minutes. I talked to Fred and Kent a little bit and they printed us out directions to the best (cheese steak!) - (not Steak and cheese!)LOL places around Philly. I thanked them and went out to the lift to thank chuck for helping us get the car off the trailer. As I walked out I was shocked to see that he had already got the bumper off, and was about to drop the engine! I knew then I was in good hands.. If that was the old shop, it would have taken 3 or 4 days for what chuck just did in 20 minutes! On top of it all, they had other cars in there already getting work done. Cars that were scheduled to be worked on that week, I had just called a few days ago asking for a favor and they were nice enough to fit me in their schedule! It was awesome..

Unfortunately the nightmare wasn't over yet.. Fred called me a few days later and told me that the headers had been sealed with silicon!? and basically told me that I shouldn't have done it myself. Which I then explained to him, Ummm No... I paid for someone to do that!... On top of that I paid for the 2" headers with the 3.5" collectors and someone from the old shop ordered the wrong ones! So now I had to buy the set of headers I originally wanted! He then told me that it wouldn't be done by Ocean City now because the clutch wasn't there yet, and that the new headers were at least a week away as well. So again I thought to myself this sucks! But at least now I knew it was gonna be done right. Finally!!

So now hearing what Ive been through, I just simply thought that there were too many hands in the pot on this build, and wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. Considering the power levels I'm making now, I know is important that everyone all knows where everything is going, what the goals are and have something that people have worked with before.

I use to think that my car was the baddest thing around... Then I brought the car to Evolution.. my entire perception changed the day I arrived there and saw what other work they were doing. I realized then what they were capable of and what my car could be. A few things I saw on the cars there I had never seen, or even heard about before. Then there were some things I had wanted before but didn't get them because when I talked to Rick about it he just talked down to me and said I didn't need it.

I'm the type who wants to have the baddest car on the street(which is expensive and nearly impossible) And given all the stupid things that had happened with the shop before, I just wanted to do this the right way and not have too worry about the build. So, Evolution and L&M put together a kick ass build now I just have to play the hardest game of them all.. the waiting game.. Everyday goes by tooo slow.. But its always good to have something to look forward to!
:thumbsup:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
So Evo put the Livermois motor in? It's running ok, but you are moving to a L&M to up the power?

johnjon87

Established Member
Got the call from Evo today.. Roll cage is in! Ill have some pics to post up soon. So we were waiting on Fore to finish their new fuel hat and they told us for an entire month they would be ready in 2 weeks. Anyways we finally got tired of waiting for them so Evo is moving forward with another system that they've had good experience with. I'm not 100% sure what Fred said the system was called but long story short the car should be done in a week or two! So ill post up some new #s, pics, and vids soon!

bull3441

Established Member
Got the call from Evo today.. Roll cage is in! Ill have some pics to post up soon. So we were waiting on Fore to finish their new fuel hat and they told us for an entire month they would be ready in 2 weeks. Anyways we finally got tired of waiting for them so Evo is moving forward with another system that they've had good experience with. I'm not 100% sure what Fred said the system was called but long story short the car should be done in a week or two! So ill post up some new #s, pics, and vids soon!
when i called Fore 1st week of January i was told they finished production and two weeks. then i was advised when Fore says two weeks it means a few months.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What a joke. Glad you went with someone else to get it done.

dkscobra2003

Flying For A Living
Established Member
Wow. Glad you got your car up to Evolution. Fred, Kent and the crew do excellent work. I haven't been up there since getting my '11. I took my '03 Cobra up years back and they did amazing work for me, along with Jon Lund.

:burnout:

johnjon87

Established Member
CNC'd ported heads

422790_10150747954928783_639458782_11629865_1564263540_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread