New ecoboost ford GT has worse mpg than any comparable supercar

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
52398550.jpg

Seriously, is it your mission in life to discredit the Ecoboost? Nobody bought this car for its fuel mileage. Nobody who bought it CARES about its fuel mileage. So why do you?

The OP has a hardon for trashing on Ecoboost motors. just go look at him old posts, lol.

Klay

Established Member
When the Hellcat came out, people on here brought up fuel economy when comparing it to the GT500. People made fun of the Hellcat for having a gas guzzler tax and the GT500 didn't. Many said Dodge doesn't care about fuel economy. Now, this forum doesn't care about fuel economy?

That's a completely different comparison. The point is, near 100% if not 100% of people interested in actually purchasing a car like the GT do not care about fuel economy.

It matters more when talking about the class of cars the hellcat competes with (still not hugely important). MPG's for any super car simply shouldn't be that important.

blk02edge

Established Member
The ultimate beat a dead horse thread!

Seriously though you can all not care but it is kinda funny that it gets worse mileage than all the others... I mean the entire point of this motor is eco and performance. I love the ecoboost motors but this is a fail whether you care or chop down trees for fun.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
That's a completely different comparison. The point is, near 100% if not 100% of people interested in actually purchasing a car like the GT do not care about fuel economy.

It matters more when talking about the class of cars the hellcat competes with (still not hugely important). MPG's for any super car simply shouldn't be that important.

hellcat and GT500 buyers care about mpg? lol Some only care about mpg when its to fords advantage. When its not, eh, who cares!

The OP has a hardon for trashing on Ecoboost motors. just go look at him old posts, lol.

not a hardon, more like the opposite, not sure the correct term "softie?"

it is kinda funny that it gets worse mileage than all the others... I mean the entire point of this motor is eco and performance. I love the ecoboost motors but this is a fail whether you care or chop down trees for fun.

obvious fail is obvious. Motor that was supposed to be a pinnacle of "ultra-efficiency technology" that offers "v8 performance and v6 fuel economy" does neither. Simultaneously has less hp/torque than top GM/Dodge v8s and worse fuel economy than ginomous v10s and turbo v8s. o_O Brilliant!

60_HitME

Established Member
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/2017-ford-gt-gets-dismal-fuel-economy.html

The whole concept of fuel efficient supercars is an oxymoron at best but when you brag about an engine thats supposed to be lighter, more power dense and more efficient than traditional large displacement engines its pretty sad when you get worse results. :rolleyes:

2017 Ford GT, 3.5L TT V6 - 11/19mpg (14mpg combined)
2005 Ford GT, 5.4L SC V8 - 12/19mpg (14mpg combined)
2016 Dodge SRT viper, 8.4L NA V10 - 12/21mpg (15mpg combined)
2016 Dodge Challenger hellcat, 6.2L SC V8 - 13/22mpg (16mpg combined)
2016 Chevy Corvette Z06, 6.2L SC V8 - 13/23mpg (16mpg combined)
2016 Mclaren 675LT, 3.8L TT V8 - 16/22mpg (18mpg combined)
2017 Ferrari 488GTB, 3.8L TT V8 - 16/22mpg (18mpg combined)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 3.8L TT L6 - 17/24mpg (20mpg combined)
2016 Audi R8 V10 plus, 5.2L NA V10 - 14/21mpg (17mpg combined)
2016 Lamborghin huracan LP610-4 - 14/21mpg (17mpg combined)
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S, 4.0L TT V8 - 16/22mpg (18mpg combined)
2016 Lamborghin aventador 6.5L NA V12 - 11/18mpg (13mpg combined)

It is time to rename this engine "twin force" instead of "ecoboost." Performance of a v8, sucks fuel like a v10.
$400,000.00 dollar car. I don't think anyone of the sold out cars new owners gives a Rat's ass about gas millage.

_Snake_

Established Member
  • Do I care.. No.
  • Would I consider not buying one just due to MPG? No.
  • Would MPG even be on my mind if I was looking to buy one? No.
  • Did I think that it would have better MPG than a Viper...Yes.
  • Did I think that it would have better MPG than an Ecoboost F-150? Yes.
It just seems at odds with everything I know about cars that they couldn't eek out a bit more MPG while cruising at highway speeds. Like it should have gotten better MPG even if by accident. It just doesn't fit with my logic of cars is all.

^^^^ Gets it ^^^^

Voltwings

Established Member
Reasons the car gets poor mpg:

1. performance gearing. Quick gearing makes for shit mpg.
2. Downforce. The ACR Viper creates enough downforce to cause about a 5 mpg decrease on the vehicle towing it, there's an article somewhere on that. You guys are confusing the type of aero this car has, it isn't magic. The car is slippery, but it also has an insane amount of grip. Same reason the (C7) Z06 has like a 15-20 mph lower top speed than the CTS-v is all the aero.
3. Speaking of which, the car has big ass tires. Only like a 235 or 245 front tire if i remember correctly, but like a 335 to 345 rear tire. That's a lot of rolling resistance. The rims are also 20s so they probably aren't light (maybe in perspective considering they're 20s, but still not actually light).
4. Factory tuning. I have been tuning turbo cars for YEARS, and you would not believe how rich some factory calibrations run, most hot hatch factory WOT AFR is like a 10.2 to 10.5, and you can interpolate part throttle afr from there. People don't know how to handle a turbo car, they throw shit gas in it, don't care about heat soak, and just don't know how to handle the car, so the factory has to fluff the ever loving shit out of the tunes to keep people from blowing them up. Put a tune on that thing and it picks up 5-10 mpg, i bet money, i've seen (and done) it several times.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was thinking that maybe this car has poor fuel economy because of aggressive tuning, even for every day driving. It doesn't even look like it has different drive modes in that there is a more economical mode vs full on sport or race modes, which speaks to the no-nonsense charachter Ford was trying to achieve with the GT. I wonder though, if you put this car on the track with it's competitors for say a 15-20 lap race, if a fuel economy advantage would emerge against the competition much like the racecar did.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
The GT is a halo car that got tons of Press and public attention. Using a V6 also helped boost that attention considerably. They want the average consumer to walk away and say "well gee golly, ima get dat F-wonfity with dem super car engine".

The usage of the V6 TT in the Ford GT is not to make a more efficient super car, it is to legitimize Ford's Ecoboost Brand and application of turbocharged engines in the consumers mind.

It makes it easier to swallow a Turbo-4 Mustang, a V6 TT Raptor, F150, Taurus SHO, Lincolns, and maybe even a GT500.

Not only do I agree with your post, but you bring up a perspective I hadn't considered before.

Recon

Established Member
If someone can afford a Ford GT; fuel efficiency shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Users who are viewing this thread