New ecoboost ford GT has worse mpg than any comparable supercar

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the direct competitors of the GT are the ferrari 488 GTB, acura nsx, mclaren 650s/675LT, not sure about the huracan.

eventually ford should release the performance #s so we can see how it stacks up. I suspect it will have better laptimes but less straightline acceleration than the 675LT.

675LT and the Aventador are what I would call supercars. To me they are above the 991TS, 488, ACR. Eclustivity with performance and price in my mind make a super car. Maybe that's just me.

Yes you are correct Ford benchmarked the performance of the cars you posted.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
it doesnt make a bit of difference to me but I do find it at least a little surprising its not better than that. As mentioned the lightweight, extremely aerodynamic body with a V6 you just ass-u-me that it would do better than that.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Performance, price, and class of car aside...

There is NOTHING economical about ANY Ford "Eco"boost product.

i love my ecoboost explorer but the mpg isnt anything to get excited about. and the cost of the vehicle certainly isnt economical. not sure what the eco is supposed to be referring to lol. still love it though. one of the best vehicles ive ever owned.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
  • Do I care.. No.
  • Would I consider not buying one just due to MPG? No.
  • Would MPG even be on my mind if I was looking to buy one? No.
  • Did I think that it would have better MPG than a Viper...Yes.
  • Did I think that it would have better MPG than an Ecoboost F-150? Yes.
It just seems at odds with everything I know about cars that they couldn't eek out a bit more MPG while cruising at highway speeds. Like it should have gotten better MPG even if by accident. It just doesn't fit with my logic of cars is all.

nxhappy

Established Member
my EB f150 averages 16 city 22 hwy .....perfectly happy with that, as it's a truck

as stated, nobody expects good mpg from a sports car. We just want performance and speed lol. You think millionaires give a **** about gas prices?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
anyone who can afford to drop $400k on a toy that wont get driven very often who give two ****s about the mpg lol. if it wasnt for the epa the car would get 5mpg and they still wouldnt care. look at the aventador. gets absolutely miserable mpg and they still sell like hotcakes. the only part that sucks about it having to actually stop and get gas all the time. not the $ lol.

im surprised they didnt make the GT a hybrid. maybe the next one. i love V8s as much as the next guy but the GT is supposed to be the forefront of Ford's technology. if Ford can show that the GT can dominate with this motor then maybe they can convince people that an ecoboost TT V6 mustang would be good.

of course, with Trump in office, the epa-mpg target may change anyways.

it would be interesting to see a poll of actual GT buyers which would have bought a 5.2 FPC powered GT instead of the ecoboost version if given the choice. even if it had less power. i know we have a couple members who are some of the "chosen ones" and can maybe comment on it. personally i think it would be great if they gave you a choice but i bet ford would be afraid they wouldnt sell as many EB GTs. especially if they need to sell a certain amount to qualify for racing.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my EB f150 averages 16 city 22 hwy .....perfectly happy with that, as it's a truck

whats your combined average. im at 15.8mpg average on my EB explorer sport. it sees more city driving than highway but even when ive taken it on 50+ mile drives i havent seen much better than that.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
it would be interesting to see a poll of actual GT buyers which would have bought a 5.2 FPC powered GT instead of the ecoboost version if given the choice. even if it had less power.

nah, thats not really a good comparison. The GT ecoboost has a good 100hp advantage over the 5.2fpc. Even hardcore v8 lovers arent going to opt to give up that many ponies.

the real question is how many people would choose the ecoboost 3.5L TT over a TT coyote or a 5.8L s/c v8?

nxhappy

Established Member
whats your combined average. im at 15.8mpg average on my EB explorer sport. it sees more city driving than highway but even when ive taken it on 50+ mile drives i havent seen much better than that.
I am also at 15-16

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

That's insane. I've borrowed my sisters ex sport several times for long trips, it gets no worse than 24 highway, even with her aggressive driving style, she gets 18 city-ish. My mom has a 2016 ex sport and averages 21, but her commute is faster than average city.

nah, thats not really a good comparison. The GT ecoboost has a good 100hp advantage over the 5.2fpc. Even hardcore v8 lovers arent going to opt to give up that many ponies.

the real question is how many people would choose the ecoboost 3.5L TT over a TT coyote or a 5.8L s/c v8?

Does the race car still use the 3.5? I would probably go with the 3.5 if it does, this car is ultimately an homologation car.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
If I could somehow leverage enough money to buy the GT, pay all other costs of the car, and it only left me with enough money to buy a gallon of gas a month...I would be disappointed that I would only be able to drive the car 14 miles a month. BUT I would be ear to ear smiles those entire 14 miles.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Yeah my 2015 f150 with the 3.5eb gets high 18s every day all day. I do NO highway driving whatsoever. The best Ive done on the highway on a roadtrip was mid 26s

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
When the Hellcat came out, people on here brought up fuel economy when comparing it to the GT500. People made fun of the Hellcat for having a gas guzzler tax and the GT500 didn't. Many said Dodge doesn't care about fuel economy. Now, this forum doesn't care about fuel economy?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If I could somehow leverage enough money to buy the GT, pay all other costs of the car, and it only left me with enough money to buy a gallon of gas a month...I would be disappointed that I would only be able to drive the car 14 miles a month. BUT I would be ear to ear smiles those entire 14 miles.

I bet Ford intentionally reduced the fuel economy to ensure owners would have to cycle the gas once or twice a year.

There are 30 Ford GTs on eBay. The highest mileage car has 35,600 miles. That's 2,900 miles a year. That is 12 fill ups a year.

There are 9 cars with less then 1,000 miles on them.

That's 83 miles a year. A fill up once every 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread