New gauge pod alternative! comments?

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Brad,

You're right about taking some time. The only way to understand the joys of bondo is to live it yourself. I've gotten my process down to about 4 hours each, as I made several prototypes. Fortunately, unless I'm doing another type of car, i won't have to build them myself anymore.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm glad at least most of you have a favorable response. I know they're not for everyone, but in person at car meets the response has been very strong.

Win or lose, I'm going through with it. Only one way to find out, right?

Thanks,

Alan

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
I appreciate the feedback. I'll do my best to keep you posted. Parts are in CAD development now, and hope to move to manufacturing soon.

Thanks to all,

Alan

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have a convertible as well and am interested in a 3 guage pillar pod. Keep us updated!:beer:

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Appreciate the responses. It seems the triple gauge pod is in pretty high demand. Just for my info, how many people prefer dual vs. triple pods?

It would be helpful if you could specify if you have a coupe or vert (if your sig doesn't show).

Thanks,

Alan

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Pete, you're right. I already knew that.

Cobraguy01, prices, I missed that you asked that already. I'm not too sure until I get an idea of my manufacturing costs. My intent is to price the pillar competitively with similar offerings on the market. So, I hope prices will be within a fair range of the full pillar pods available.

I know that's pretty vague, but it's all i have to go on at present.

I'll keep you updated as information comes to me.

Thanks,

Alan

ntechnic

Established Member
I like the following:

The pods sit inside the A-pillar, and look like they are further away from the drivers eyes than the standard "on pillar" pods. This is good because it reduces the amount of refocusing the eyes have to do.

The pods have a much more graceful and organic look to them than any I've seen before.

I'd definitely pay more for pre-dyed.

I'd pay a premium for the these better looking pods.

Put me down for triple pod, vert.

I'll keep an eye on these babies.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Thanks for the reply and positive feedback. The shape of pods is intended to be different; it would have been much easier to work with something readily available.

You are right that the pods fit within the factory pillar. I personally didn't care for the pods that fit over the factory piece, as the visible screws really bothered me on those.

It seems the triple pod is in good demand. The challenge with this is making it all fit without becoming a visible distraction to the driver. I have several convertible pillars in my shop, and will start work on a prototype. If I can afford the tooling, it will become available. Otherwise, the possibility of making custom hand-builts is good if I can meet demand.

I agree with you, pre-dyed should make them a more attractive option, as it's one less thing you have to deal with.

The couple mustangs around town that have these get people asking them at redlights where they got em, the ford service department thought it was an OEM option they were unaware of. One of our local SVT technicians called the owner and asked where he could get them. I hope we sell a few of them.

I'll keep you posted, as there is a good deal of questions which will be answered for me in the next week or so.

Thanks,

Alan

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Alan,
Once again you have out done yourself! Keep up hte good work.

Later
Jesse

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Jesse, thanks. I remember chatting with you elsewhere online.

Badasp03, not taking orders just yet, but appreciate the feedback.

When they are ready to ship, I'll let those interested know. I will also make the appropriate post in a sales forum. I'm a newb to this forum, but understand the rules of the forum/moderators.

So, a few questions:

Is the pillar being pre-dyed important, just nice, or not needed? It's a pretty simple process, but I'm sure plenty of people would rather save the time. I'm interested to hear your opinions.

For you current gauge pod owners, what were the instructions and installation materials like? Do you feel like you had what you needed to do the job? Would any of you prefer ordering the gauges already installed and wired? This will be an option.

Again, the responses are very helpful and I appreciate the time you took to write them.

Alan :thumbsup:

Cobraguy01

Behind The Scene
Established Member
I think the pod being pre-dyed is a good selling point of your pods and important. I am wanting to go with guages already installed and wired. I know for sure Boost/Vaccum, Fuel pressure, and maybe A/F guage. I guess that makes me interested in a dual or maybe triple pod.

Neil

Daytona

Established Member
Ill take a pre-dyed triple gauge for vert, boost-c\vacuum, fuel pressure, and something else may be amps or volts or egt. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread