New gauge pod alternative! comments?

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
The autometer bezel is definitely the best way to retain a stealthy appearance. The pillar pods give the hint there's something up with car; people seem to want to try you more.

If there was a manufacturer that made a shallow 2 1/16 gauge that made the bezel look a little more flush, it'd be awesome.

Which brings me to another question. What else would you guys love to have but can't find a good choice? I spend a lot of time working with fiberglass, carbon fiber, and other materials. I do a lot of custom audio/video installations and learned from there.

Hidden switch plates? Kick panel speaker enclosures? I'm doing some vent mounted gauges for my fox body. It will be a lot more cosmetically appealing than the standard gauge cage. I'd also like to incorporate a raptor shift light into the a-pillar design.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Last edited:

ntechnic

Established Member
The more I've thought about this post, the more I want one of these. Especially with the raptor option (I have a raptor that I haven't goten around to installing).

I'm posting a poll about 2 vs. 3 gauge preferrences right now, we'll see what the members think.

I'd consider buying a couple of dozen just to jumpstart the product. I'd hope for some kind of discount, and then resell them at cost to club members, at events, etc., just to get my money back.

I really, really, really want one of these. I think 2 gauge plus the raptor location would be fine, it does look like 3 gauges might be a bit tough.

Anyway, let's see how the poll, and I'm serious about 20+ to jumpstart this.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
ntechnic, wow, your response really floored me. Ever since I saw the raptor light for the first time I've been toying with the idea of incorporating it into our design. Here's my thoughts:

1: place shift light within its own pod, and use a smoked lexan cover to fill the 2 1/16 opening.

2: mold a fitting for the raptor into the current design. Maybe on top of the top pod.

I'm going to order a raptor today to do some testing on.

Your offer is extremely generous, and I'd be happy to work with you as best I can. This raptor option may have to fall under a custom build, as I'm unsure if I can afford tooling for a "one-off" mold. Either way, I'm going to do some research.

Hope the poll is well received, thanks for taking the time to set it up.

Thanks,

Alan

ntechnic

Established Member
Since the Raptor is so tiny, I'd vote for a small pod just for it. As of this post, there are five votes for including the Raptor pod in the poll thread, 2 for the 2-gauge, and 3 for the 3-gauge. So either way, 2 or 3 gauge, it seems there is interest in the raptor as a feature.

I understand the problems with adding SKU numbers when developing products. I've owned product companies before. You increase the prototyping costs, then you have more inventory to keep, and you have to guess at how much of which to make, etc. I can understand that you wouldn't want four part designs.

You could consider a low and high end offering, just two part numbers to make. A 2-gauge with no Raptor pod, and a 3-gauge pod that includes the raptor. or maybe you could make a 2- and 3-gauge pod, and make the Raptor pod in such a way that you can drill the top pod of either and bond the Raptor on. That might be easier than making four designs.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Great idea about the raptor in its own pod, but NOT a 2 1/16" diameter pod, it needs its own slim tube.

I would like a 2 gauge pod plus Raptor at the bottom for a coupe.

On the topic of Pre-painted: some people like to test fit, run wires, test again etc.. that scratches the pod if its painted. So, you could sell the unpainted pod and simply offer the part number for the correct paint. There is a hazardous materials charge on shipping spray paint so its a little cheaper to pick it up at your local dealer anyway.

As for other custom parts, you HAVE to make the CDC Shaker Side Scoops. They discontinued those before the 03' came out and a lot of us want them but can't get them. Picture is below.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Oh yeah, one more part:

A larger Cobra grill insert. A lot of us want to like the look of the Cobra in the grill but the current versions are too small and don't fill it well. Make it just like the current version just larger and it would be a seller.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
It's interesting to see how you guys liked the idea of the raptor shift light in the pillar. I ordered one today, so it should be on its way. Anyone know how they are with shipping? Fast?

As soon as it shows up, I'm working on it. I think I'm in agreement that its' own small molded tube would be best. We'll play with placement, to see if it looks best nestled in between a couple pods or on top. I'll post pics for your valued opinions.

Appreciate the responses so far, it's really helpful and encouraging. It reminds me why I chose a mustang, as the group of owners are always helpful to one another.

Alan

Looks great. I'd like to see a dual pod for coupe, charcoal gray, w/shiftlight option (and a plug for this opening in case the light never happens).

kgcobra03

Established Member
I would like a triple for my vert. and maybe a small one for the Raptor. Also like the idea of larger Cobra for front grill.:beer:

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
Originally posted by kgcobra03
I would like a triple for my vert. and maybe a small one for the Raptor. Also like the idea of larger Cobra for front grill.:beer:

I'll take what he's having.. thanks!

PDubs

Established Member
I dig the shape. It's different, and your eyes don't have to stray too far away from the dash to see them. All this talk about the Raptor light going in somehow....just wondering if it would be possible to do something like keep your design as it is, but add a small slot inbetween the gauges, or on top in the middle for a Raptor light?

Either way, nice job.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Thanks for the continued interest. This raptor option seems to have really caught some interest. How many of you guys already have the light? I ordered one the other day, so I'll have one to try some prototypes on.

It seems a bunch of you convertible guys want a triple pod. I must say the triple pod gets a little crowded on the pillar, and might not look as good. I'm going to build a prototype and let you guys decide ultimately. What 3 gauges are you guys wanting to use? I'm sure boost, and fuel psi, but what else? EGT? Just curious...

thanks for the responses as always,

Alan

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
i think you're right re: the triple pod making things a bit crowded. i'd definitely buy one of the dual pillar w/ raptor setups. :beer:

ntechnic

Established Member
I don't want boost, with the gauge over lay that I bought through this board, and the surprising accuracy of the stock gauge when modded, I'm happy.

So my gauge desires are electric fuel pressure, and EGT. If i had three the thrid would be a real coolant temp gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread